Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 03:36 PM

281 posts, read 818,139 times

Advertisements

So I'm looking at relocation costs. I'm being optomistic I'll find a job LOL.

I'd be moving from San Diego to Columbia. I have never moved cross country where it required any sort of mover - when I moved to CA all my stuff fit in my car

So if any of you have relocated - how much was it for a moving company? I do not want to move myself because I am a single female with two kids - not interested in driving a Uhaul cross country.

Another consideration is to sell off a bunch of stuff - that is not in the best shape - and then get new stuff once we move. Like kitchen table and couch/loveseat. I'm wondering if that would be cheaper overall than moving them due to weight.

Any input is welcomed and recommends for moving companies are also appreciated.

I'm looking at jobs at both public and private universities - and don't know whether relocation is even on the table although the jobs would be Director level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 12:37 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,772,676 times
apparently, it's supppose to be about 20 to 35% cheaper here in DC vs say San Francisco.

You won't find a job here. There are too many people without a job here looking for a job (recently).

Sell everything you have and buy it online once you get here. I did the math and it ended up being cheaper.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:53 AM

281 posts, read 818,139 times
Thanks Plokivos

I think you're right and it might be better to sell off a bunch and just move a smaller amount.

As for jobs - well I certainly hope I can LOL I'm not looking for faculty jobs and I have 16 years of experience in my role - including full proficiency with People Soft which it appears many of the bigger name universities out there use. There are at least 20 openings in DC/MD/VA right now I am more than qualified for - with very specific qualifications - so I'm hopeful I'll find something.

I'd be a lot more worried if I had a more general skill set - but given the requirements of most jobs at my level I feel confident I can find a job utilizing my skill set. In any case I have a very good job here in SoCal - so I'm not in a major hurry. I can be patient
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC