Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 07:50 AM

6 posts, read 18,495 times

Advertisements

HI all!

And thanks for taking the time to read my post!!!
I recently moved to DC; a month ago as of today to be exact to study and so far LOVING IT!
Anyways, I drove my car here so, I still want to keep my beloved CA license plates because a) I can't really afford to pay everything to transfer and b) I love my CA tags

Anyways, so far I've received two ANGRY phone calls from family in CA about 2 speeding tickets totaling over 250 as of today from those darned cameras! I cried.

Now here is my question: I forwarded all my mail through the USPS website to come to my new address here in DC; but also want to make sure my tickets arrive here; rather than back home so family won't know haha.

I'm planning on receiving NO more tickets; but it seems like from the two tickets I've received so far' from the issue date it takes 10 days to process and four days from the mailing date to arrive at home.

Now, does the forwarding of my mail also forward my tickets? Or is there a way to change my address on the DMV site WITHOUT changing my tags YET.
I believe the rule is you have 6 months to change your tags; so I wanna wait and be more stable.

I hope this makes sense?
Please help!
PS I went on the DC DMV site and tried to change my address but; it says that it didn't recognize my DL number since it's a CA one.
Then I went to the DMV CA and it said you can't change the address if you have moved to another state; but to fill out another form.
I wanna do it quick! In case I receive any more tickets; and I surely don't want anymore angry phone calls.

Thanks for all your help!
Enjoy your weekend; and stay ticket free
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 08:33 AM

42 posts, read 59,481 times
The tickets will go where the tags are registered. You cant register California tags outside California. Ergo, the tickets for a California-tagged vehicle can only go to California. When you move, you're supposed to change your tags. That's the law. Be careful with trying to get around it, you might unwittingly have your California driver's license cancelled. That happened to me. I had a Virginia license but was in CT for school. I tried to get my Virginia driving record sent to me in CT and in the process, Virginia cancelled my license so I had to scramble to get a CT one.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:42 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
I don't understand your confusion. It's illegal to keep your California license plate. Or course DC's DMV won't recognize a non-DC address and of course California's won't recognize a non-California address. I think you have 60 days to change or something.

If you park on the street in DC with out-of-state plates you'll often get a warning that your vehicle was observed more than once without being registered in the District and then you'll get heavy fines.

Time to let California go. You live here now.

Plus, it's way better to have "Taxation without Representation" on your car than what you have now. Your family back home will love it and you'll educate them about an egregious Constitutional violation against American citizens forced to pay federal taxes without having representation.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:23 PM

Hm.
Alright I'll head over to the DMV on Monday and change it . Does anyone know how much that will cost?
I own a newer model car; just bought it about 2-3 months ago.

Thank you for your HELP!
And I guess it is time to let Cali life go

Old 06-16-2013, 09:19 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,530,047 times
Make sure to go to the DMV EARLY, like 30 mins before it opens because there will be a line. Also I recommend going to the Rhode Island ave NE location. Its the most centrally located and convenient. The SE location at Penn Branch is isolated and ghetto, same with the SW location. Then again the DC gov't in general is ghetto so...

Old 06-16-2013, 09:21 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
You might as well change them asap, so you
won't have to get more tickets or worse, a
boot, just for having california plates.

Go and get that over with.
Get it inspected first and save
yourself two trips to the dmv.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:22 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,530,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
You might as well change them asap, so you
won't have to get more tickets or worse, a
boot, just for having california plates.
Yeah parking enforcement officers are some bammas

Old 06-16-2013, 09:28 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
^ lls yes they are, so you might as
well avoid being their next victim.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:15 AM

Default OK. Fine.

Alright, Alright I'll go on tomorrow BRIGHT AND EARLY

Old 06-16-2013, 11:16 AM

Ghetto huh?
I'm not used to that in California But alright I'm going in bright and early tomorrow!
Thanks for all your help and responses all! .
Much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC