Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 10:56 AM

4 posts, read 87,279 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to the DC area for a job near Capitol Hill. After reading a lot of different postings both on this and other forums, we've decided to narrow our initial rental search to Takoma Park because it seems to be a funky, walkable, in-transition area with lots of green spaces and social/environmental consciousness. We haven't visited the area yet and would like to know from "townies" the difference between Takoma Park in MD and DC, if much at all. Also, I'd appreciate hearing about un/safe streets and neighborhoods to begin our rental search, keeping in mind that proximity to Metro lines is crucial. After all, reading up about an area can only give you a theoretical knowledge...Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2006, 09:14 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
If debating upon whether to live in the Takoma portion of DC or in Maryland, I would hands down choose Maryland. While Takoma DC isn't awful by any means, it's definitely more rundown and has higher crime than Takoma Park, Maryland. Living in Maryland also is less of a hassle. There's a lot of bureaucratic red tape issues associated with living in DC regarding everything from taxation to dealing with the DMV. Not to mention, the schools are far better in Maryland if that's an issue for you. I believe the Metro station actually straddles the border of DC and Maryland so wherever you are, you shouldn't be too far away from the station. Takoma Park is only slightly larger than two square miles so you can't be TOO far away.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:04 AM

Thanks for the input, dullnboring. While schools aren't a concern now, crime is. I've read the crime index in TP is higher than the national average but also many glowing reviews from present and former residents that it's a great place to have a toddler because of the parks. Can you explain what sounds like a contradiction? Thanks!

Old 08-25-2006, 04:26 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
Crime in Takoma Park, as I'm assuming you've read if you've googled "Takoma Park crime rate" seems to be a bit of mixed bag. Some data claims that the crime rate is slightly above the national average, while others say it is slightly below or exactly on par. Whatever, the case may be, I certainly wouldn't classify Takoma Park as "dangerous" as it doesn't veer too far from the average in either direction. As such, I think it would be pretty fair to term crime in Takoma Park as "average". The city does however have a much higher than average rate of car theft. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind that. Similarly, there's a significantly higher than average number of robberies for whatever reason, but all other crimes are either roughly on par or below the national average.

I personally think Takoma Park is a good place to raise children and residents of Takoma Park seem to be quite happy there. I think the seeming contradiction of sorts is based on the type of people Takoma Park attracts. Takoma Park is sort of known as the Berkeley of the DC area, an image the residents take pride in (although I personally think that's an exaggeration). The population is very liberal and liberal people tend to gravitate towards cities, favoring the diversity and culture that they offer. As a trade-off however, they're oftentimes willing to compromise on other issues like cost of living, living space and crime, much like those who choose to live in the exurbs compromise in terms of commutes and culture. So I think very liberal people are willing to turn the other cheek and downplay urban grievances as they've accepted that as a trade-off for the benefits of life in an open-minded, urban, pedestrian-friendly community. And quite a few people view some of the ills associated with urban life, as being healthy exposure to the "real world" to their children, rather than having them cocooned in a massive sprawling subdivision away from the city.

There is crime in Takoma Park, but it's certainly not out of control. It's not as sparkly clean and safe as Bethesda, but it's certainly not a place where you'll hear gunshots at night or the like, and it's certainly much safer than the areas of Langley Park and Chillum to the immediate east. So I think when people recommend Takoma Park, they feel there's a general understanding based on the type of people the city attracts, that the city isn't going to be a perfect "no crime" zone with no criminal element to it; that it sort of goes without saying that if willing to move to an area like it, you are aware and okay of that. However, the problems aren't so severe to warrant an explicit warning to steer clear of the city.

Old 08-26-2006, 10:16 AM

Thank you for taking the time to give what sounds like a very reasonable assessment of the area. We're moving from Los Angeles where you get nearly all the minuses of citylife but none of the pluses, i.e. air pollution, traffic, poor schools, sprawl, high cost of living. We'd love something akin to Berkeley/Oakland area where we could walk and take public transit. TP sounds great - you've alleviated my concerns about safety as I'm a musician and return home past 11pm frequently. To give you an idea of what I'm used to in LA, last year a freeway police chase of an armed man ended up in our backyard. Later the police discoverd a discarded bag of automatic rifle clips just over the fence. So ANYTHING would be better than that!

Old 09-22-2006, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 28,032 times
Default Takoma dc

Hi, we've just moved to Takoma dc from Texas. Wow, what a change. From comboy hats and daily barbeques to the city. As far as what I think of our new home? My neighbors are nice. They've all come to welcome us. They all take pride in their homes and our street. Parking so far has not been a problem. People are walking their dogs, riding their bikes into Rock Creek Park, riding their bikes to the Metro, strolling with their babies. Access to Rock Creek Park, Bethesda, Cleveland Park, and downtown DC and Silver Spring is literally minutes away. There is a cute farmer's market on the weekend at the end of our street. The culture and food here are great. Starbuck's and Safeway are around the corner.

As far as crime goes, we haven't encountered any so far. I am a bit paranoid, since I've got my house alarmed like Fort Knox; I came from a place where houses are very far apart from one another and it was really quiet. But there were also only five restaurants and nothing to do. My neighbors and I are all aware of who lives on our street. My husband and I are both doctors and have found so far this place to be nice. I still miss Texas though. Hope this helps you.

Last edited by oidinomight; 09-22-2006 at 10:03 AM..

Old 05-23-2008, 06:54 AM

1 posts, read 26,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Living in Maryland also is less of a hassle. There's a lot of bureaucratic red tape issues associated with living in DC regarding everything from taxation to dealing with the DMV. Not to mention, the schools are far better in Maryland if that's an issue for you.
Well, this discussion is nearly 2 years old...I wonder if any of the posters are still online and, if so, can post updates?

I'm curious about the taxation differences. Can anyone fill me in on that?

We may move to this area, and I much prefer the DC side of the line because of the massive differences in homeschooling legislation between DC and MD. And we don't intend to own a car...so not too concerned about the DMV

We're also looking at the Capitol Hill neighborhood as an option.

Like PP mentioned, we're willing to make sacrifices in areas like living space and outdoor space to be really *in* the city and utilize all the vast cultural and educational opportunities contained there.

TIA!

Old 05-23-2008, 07:06 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Well, the DC side remains "Up and coming" with all the ramifications such an area entails. There are still some issues, but I reckon in a decade it will be quite nice.

The Maryland side is a very attractive, folksy community which resembles a little slice of Marin County. The people are "progressive" with all the ramifications that entails including expressing sympathy and solidarity with those on the DC side while avoiding it all costs.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:16 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Moth,
Moderator cut: calm down, please The two communties are across the street from one another and share a (Eastern Avenue) long border. The DC side is more walkable and denser. The metro is also on the DC side.

Last edited by Yac; 05-26-2008 at 12:46 AM..

Old 05-23-2008, 10:58 AM

223 posts, read 1,172,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahomeopath View Post
Well, this discussion is nearly 2 years old...I wonder if any of the posters are still online and, if so, can post updates?

I'm curious about the taxation differences. Can anyone fill me in on that?

We may move to this area, and I much prefer the DC side of the line because of the massive differences in homeschooling legislation between DC and MD. And we don't intend to own a car...so not too concerned about the DMV

We're also looking at the Capitol Hill neighborhood as an option.

Like PP mentioned, we're willing to make sacrifices in areas like living space and outdoor space to be really *in* the city and utilize all the vast cultural and educational opportunities contained there.

TIA!
Both the DC and MD sides of Takoma Park contain attractive residential areas with tree-lined streets. The houses in the City of Takoma Park, MD, are slightly larger and more secluded than the houses in the DC neighborhood of Takoma Park.

There is a quaint line of shops along Carroll Avenue and Laurel Street that comprise the downtown area of Takoma Park, MD. There is a small commercial district along Blair Road on the DC side -- just west of the Metro station. While there has been new residential construction along Blair Road, the DC commercial district remains a little run-down compared to its counterpart to the east.

One word of caution: are you looking to buy or to rent? If you're planning to rent, you may want to think twice about Takoma Park. Apartments are generally found along Maple Avenue (north of downtown) and near New Hampshire Avenue -- both on the MD side. These areas are not very safe and the housing stock is lousy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC