Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2012, 08:28 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,940,013 times

Advertisements

GraniteStater - Waterville Valley was her weekend destination. She and my wife had a great time out there today.

North Troy shares the same zip code as Jay and, yes, we picked up a generous load of powder. It began around 2 p.m. yesterday and hasn't stopped yet. The wind is ferocious right now and has been most of the day. Kinda sounds like jets overhead. That's what closed a lot of those upper slopes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 09:54 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,828,117 times
Most ski resorts in New England had wind holds today. On Thursday, they forecasted the bulk of the snow for Friday and Friday night, Sat just snow showers. Here in the MRV it really didn't get going until this afternoon and it's still snowing hard. Jay getting the biggest snow is a normal event in a very not normal winter.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:02 AM

83,545 posts, read 75,390,209 times
From NWS.

Snow Totals

Old 03-04-2012, 12:48 PM

914 posts, read 2,920,627 times
I'm wondering about the accuracy of Weather.com. It says for the last few days there has been snow and cold temps for Burlington, but when I spoke to my daughter yesterday she said it was in the 50's. How can there be such a disparity in weather observation?

Old 03-04-2012, 03:44 PM

274 posts, read 674,151 times
We barely ot a dusting here in Williston today but I was skiing at Bolton Valley, where we got 4" today! Great ski day!

Old 03-05-2012, 11:28 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,664,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
I'm wondering about the accuracy of Weather.com. It says for the last few days there has been snow and cold temps for Burlington, but when I spoke to my daughter yesterday she said it was in the 50's. How can there be such a disparity in weather observation?
I rarely trust the forecast of the NWS or weather.com (I believe they get their info from NWS). The local forecasting is and always has been the most accurate. This winter alone shows how off they have forcasted the weather. I think the local forecasters have been dead on all winter.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:33 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
I read a forecast that said it could hit 60 around Thursday this week (Rutland area)...pretty crazy if true...

Old 03-05-2012, 12:27 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
^
I would not be surprised. The blowtorch pattern continues.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
I rarely trust the forecast of the NWS or weather.com (I believe they get their info from NWS). The local forecasting is and always has been the most accurate. This winter alone shows how off they have forcasted the weather. I think the local forecasters have been dead on all winter.
One day in the future we'll have enough weather stations in place to get data from each city. But then in some cases conditions will vary even in the same city especially where there's big dips and rises of hills.

TWC and NWS only use the stations available near you. If there is none in your town they use closest (and sometimes thats off a lot).

As far as forecasts, there's one thing they all look at...weather models. There are a number of models and data to look at to create a forecast. Some mix personal opionion in there. Like 68vette said, this winter alone forecasts were a disaster, sole reason is because models didnt handle anything correctly this winter.

Bottom line is, one forecast can be different from another because they will use/prefer a different model and/or use different data. This is very common. When you get a chance, read the public forecast discussions from NWS and they'll mention which model they preferred to use in their forecast today.

NAM might have temps in 50s Thursday but GFS has 30s. Euro shows sun, CMC shows clouds. Usually a blend of 2 models is used.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:14 PM

Going further, here's NWS BTV discussion.
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/product.php?...&highlight=off

"TRANSITION INTO PRECIP ASSOCIATED W/ UPPER TROUGH WILL OCCUR LATER FRIDAY MORNING AND CONTINUE INTO EARLY SATURDAY MORNING BFR ENDING.

LOOKING FOR MAINLY SW...ENHANCED BY NORTHERLY FLOW SETTING LATE IN DAY. W/ APPROACH
OF FRNT ON MONDAY... MODELS DO DIFFER ON TIMING INTO WESTERN PORTIONS
OF THE CWA. WILL KEEP DOWN TO CHANCE POPS OR LESS DUE TO
UNCERTAINTY. FOR TEMPS IN THE EXTENDED...MUCH OF THE CWA AHEAD OF
THE FRNT ON THURSDAY AND WITH 925 MB TEMPS NEAR +6C TO +8C...HIGHS
WILL AGAIN REACH 50F+ IN MANY AREAS. TREND FROM THERE IS DOWNWARD
AS CAA CONTINUES INTO SATURDAY NIGHT. CD AIR BEHIND FRNT IS
ENHANCED BY FIRST UPPER TROUGH...THEN NORTHERLY WINDS THAT SET UP
AHEAD OF APPROACHING RIDGE. RIDGE CREST OVER CWA SAT NGT...WITH
SOUTHERLY FLOW INCR SUNDAY INTO MONDAY OVER AREA. POTENTIAL FOR
925 TEMPS TO REACH +4C TO +7C...BRINGING THE HIGHS NEAR 50F AGAIN"

This was little compared to some discussions I see but first they mention models show different results regarding the front approaching end of week. Then they decide to say chance of precip for end of weekend is very low because they arent certain.

So they depend on what models show, they all show different things until 1-3 days out usually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont