Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 12:47 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times

Advertisements

From NWS Burlington:
"Winter Weather Advisory now in effect for the Green Mountains of Vermont and the Adirondack Mountains of New York. Please send us your reports!"

Anyone on facebook, post your reports there. They would love to get them. US National Weather Service Burlington VT | Facebook

EASTERN RUTLAND-...EAST WALLINGFORD...KILLINGTON
213 PM EST WED DEC 28 2011

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST THURSDAY...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST THURSDAY.

* LOCATIONS...SOUTHERN GREEN MOUNTAINS.
* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW.
* ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 6 INCHES.
* TIMING...OCCASIONAL SNOW SHOWERS THROUGH MIDNIGHT TONIGHT.
* IMPACTS...THE COMBINATION OF SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW WILL CREATE
HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS. IN ADDITION...BITTERLY COLD WIND
CHILL VALUES WILL DEVELOP BY THIS EVENING.
* WINDS...WEST 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.
* TEMPERATURES...FALLING INTO THE TEENS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 04:07 PM

Before I forget to show this... Looks like you guys stay in single Digits next Wednesday according to the latest GFS update.. All models are in line with a deep freeze mix next week. I doubt it will last long.

Morning Lows on left. Afternoon highs on right.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:59 PM

Impressive totals near South Burlington. Wow... Reports up to a foot today. Just from lake effect??

Old 12-28-2011, 06:46 PM

Updated snow total forecast

Old 12-28-2011, 09:46 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,933,360 times
Well, wouldn't ya know this would be the evening the missus and I drove down to Stowe to visit rels who are vacationing there. The drive down wasn't bad at 4:30-5:30, but coming back at 10:00 wasn't the best. Rte. 100 needed plowing pretty badly and there was no sign of any previous swipes. The biggest problem was blowing snow that created a few white-outs. Could be winter has finally arrived.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:16 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Impressive totals near South Burlington. Wow... Reports up to a foot today. Just from lake effect??
I think the update you posted was more accurate. South Burlington and the area had less than an inch. Just looking out the window it was more of a dusting. The winds were high yesterday, so I think most of the snow just was blown around.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:17 AM

Last GFS update an hour ago has this for text output for Hartford. Whats crazy is I dont see any moisture unless you count the .01 as "moisture".
I tell you what though... Even if just 1/2" of liquid fell with temps like that it would mean 25:1 snow ratios and 1/2" would mean a foot.

0 Celsius is 32 degrees.

1st column - Date and Time.
2nd column - Surface temps
3rd column - temps at 5000 feet (must be below 0 for snow)
4th column - surface pressure
5th column - surface humidity
6th column - atmosphere humidity
7th column - Liquid amount for 6 hrs
8th & 9th column thickness levels - (540 key for snow)

You can see little moisture for New Years Eve but temps are still warm (near 40). Other then that there's really nothing happening aside from the temps next week staying below 32 degrees.

It does develop a low off South Carolina next week but it goes OTS down there.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:07 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Last GFS update an hour ago has this for text output for Hartford. Whats crazy is I dont see any moisture unless you count the .01 as "moisture".
I tell you what though... Even if just 1/2" of liquid fell with temps like that it would mean 25:1 snow ratios and 1/2" would mean a foot.

0 Celsius is 32 degrees.

1st column - Date and Time.
2nd column - Surface temps
3rd column - temps at 5000 feet (must be below 0 for snow)
4th column - surface pressure
5th column - surface humidity
6th column - atmosphere humidity
7th column - Liquid amount for 6 hrs
8th & 9th column thickness levels - (540 key for snow)

You can see little moisture for New Years Eve but temps are still warm (near 40). Other then that there's really nothing happening aside from the temps next week staying below 32 degrees.

It does develop a low off South Carolina next week but it goes OTS down there.
I wonder where the precipitation is measured? Often times with the amount of cloud cover we have during the winter, the satellite imagery will show precipitation, but most or none of it makes it to the ground. Looking at the WCAX weather station (satellite images), Central Vermont looks like they are getting snow, but nothing is hitting the ground.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
I wonder where the precipitation is measured? Often times with the amount of cloud cover we have during the winter, the satellite imagery will show precipitation, but most or none of it makes it to the ground. Looking at the WCAX weather station (satellite images), Central Vermont looks like they are getting snow, but nothing is hitting the ground.
Hey, how did that get posted here? Lol! I wanted to put that in the Ct forum since it showed hartford. I'll try to get a btv output later.

Yeah radar pick up moisture in atmosphere but sometimes its not reaching the ground. That's why its best to check ground reports.

The precip in the data is surface precip since the computer analyzes humidity, dew points, ect ect.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:40 PM

Here's BTV text output from the latest Euro Model... After the 2nd not only do surface temps stay below 32 degrees but they stay below 7 degrees Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.

The little moisture you see is most likely light fluffy snow showers.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont