Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 01:04 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Because this debate is between living in the city limits or outside the city limits. I agree there are suburban looking neigborhoods inside the city, but people still choose to live outside the city limits anyway.
They aren't "suburban looking." They are suburban. Nothing about incorporation as a city government changes the physical form and function of a suburb.

If the debate is about being inside our outside of city limits, it stops being about suburbs vs. urban environments entirely, because your argument breaks down--most of the folks here who simply adore suburbs live inside city limits. Are they "urbanites" simply because they live in city limits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 01:14 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
They aren't "suburban looking." They are suburban. Nothing about incorporation as a city government changes the physical form and function of a suburb.

If the debate is about being inside our outside of city limits, it stops being about suburbs vs. urban environments entirely, because your argument breaks down--most of the folks here who simply adore suburbs live inside city limits. Are they "urbanites" simply because they live in city limits?
This debate is based of people who left the city and moved to a suburb outside the city. There are people who left the city because of whatever issues they had with the city. If you still live within the city limits, you never left the city then. I don't care whether a neighborhood inside the city looks suburban or urban, it is still within the city limits.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:

I would like to see a definition from some sort of reputable source that supports what you are saying. We can't even discuss "streetcar suburbs", "inner ring" suburbs, and the like if every darn thing an urbanist doesn't like can be called a suburb.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:27 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
most of the folks here who simply adore suburbs live inside city limits.
Are you sure of that? I not only don't live in DC, I don't live in a city of any sort. The HOA I live in never bothered to incorporate, even though we have more residents than many cities, and we also have a fair amount of density.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I would like to see a definition from some sort of reputable source that supports what you are saying. We can't even discuss "streetcar suburbs", "inner ring" suburbs, and the like if every darn thing an urbanist doesn't like can be called a suburb.
Well, unless you believe that annexation to a city will suddenly create more apartments and dense commercial development, I don't see how becoming part of the city will change the built form or density of a neighborhood. Most of the urbanists here like streetcar and inner ring suburbs.

If I moved to a place, I would pay attention to how it was built up, how dense it was, and of course how connected by roads or transit it is to other places I want to be (such as job centers). I wouldn't pay much attention to city limits. But for whatever reason the OP does (probably schools or taxes). So let him use the definition he chooses for this thread.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Well, unless you believe that annexation to a city will suddenly create more apartments and dense commercial development, I don't see how becoming part of the city will change the built form or density of a neighborhood. Most of the urbanists here like streetcar and inner ring suburbs.

If I moved to a place, I would pay attention to how it was built up, how dense it was, and of course how connected by roads or transit it is to other places I want to be (such as job centers). I wouldn't pay much attention to city limits. But for whatever reason the OP does (probably schools or taxes). So let him use the definition he chooses for this thread.
So they say. But just what IS a streetcar and/or inner ring suburb? Does not "inner ring" not imply a ring around the city? Does not "streetcar" imply (as we have been schooled on this forum) as far out as the streetcar ran? As someone put it, "ride until you qualify".

I think annexation is an irrelevant issue. However, most "inner ring" suburbs don't look much if any different from the city across the street. Annexation may change the zoning code for the annexed area, so that it could become more dense.

Are we supposed to assume a different defintion of suburb depending on who starts the thread, now?

Old 12-24-2011, 02:50 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Are we supposed to assume a different defintion of suburb depending on who starts the thread, now?
No. But since the OP defined what he meant in the thread, we could follow what he had in mind rather than arguing to use something else.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
So they say. But just what IS a streetcar and/or inner ring suburb? Does not "inner ring" not imply a ring around the city? Does not "streetcar" imply (as we have been schooled on this forum) as far out as the streetcar ran? As someone put it, "ride until you qualify".
Yes to all.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:24 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,152 times
The reason I define the city and suburbs the way that I do is because if you try to include suburbs that are technically in the city, than you never left the city. I'm asking people who left the city if they would move back if the city fixed their issues. It wouldn't make any sense to include people who live in a suburban enviroment which is inside the city limits because they are technically in the city. A poster from another thread mentioned that urbanist or people who live inside the city put blame on the suburbs as to why the major cities were declining. People were leaving the city to move to suburbs outside the city because of issues that were coming up in the city, like crime, public schools, government, or whatever. I realize these issues are not exclusive to the city and can happen in the suburbs. For the purposes of my question, I'm asking why people who actually left the city limits if they would move back to the city if the city fixed whatever issues drove them out the city.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:34 PM

21,881 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Basically, it's useless, Katiana. One person thinks the streetcar suburbs are acceptable because once upon a time, a century ago, they used electric streetcars to move people.

Here's a streetcar suburban neighborhood in good old Stockton, CA (my hometown).
google maps stockton - Google Maps

And here's another streetcar neighborhood.
Kensington Way, Stockton, CA - Google Maps

And another, this on an early horse-drawn streetcar that was later electrified.
South Wilson Way, Stockton, CA - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning