Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 04:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,134,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Because this debate is between living in the city limits or outside the city limits. I agree there are suburban looking neigborhoods inside the city, but people still choose to live outside the city limits anyway.
But is it necessarily because they don't like living within the city limits? People stereotype NYC schools as being poorly-ranked, but there are plenty of neighborhoods that have good schools. But yet you still hear people saying "Yeah, this is a good neighborhood, but the schools must suck because they're NYC schools". I'm sure it's the same situation in other cities, where the quality of neighborhoods is exactly the same (including things like schools) and people see the suburban side as "more desirable".

However, there are plenty of "suburbs" that have the same issues as the main city. Compton and Long Beach look exactly like LA and have the exact same issues, and yet they're suburbs. The same thing with San Francisco and Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 04:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
In regards to schools, most cities have school district separate from their burbs'. In some metro areas, there are numerous suburban school districts; in others, like Denver, school districts are larger, but still the suburban districts outnumber the city district. If urbanists are unhappy with suburbanites for leaving the city school system, then city lines do matter. Just one example.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:07 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,075,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
But is it necessarily because they don't like living within the city limits? People stereotype NYC schools as being poorly-ranked, but there are plenty of neighborhoods that have good schools. But yet you still hear people saying "Yeah, this is a good neighborhood, but the schools must suck because they're NYC schools". I'm sure it's the same situation in other cities, where the quality of neighborhoods is exactly the same (including things like schools) and people see the suburban side as "more desirable".

However, there are plenty of "suburbs" that have the same issues as the main city. Compton and Long Beach look exactly like LA and have the exact same issues, and yet they're suburbs. The same thing with San Francisco and Oakland.
I agree with eveything you are saying. I'm just specifically asking people who left the city because of whatever issues they had with the city. I know that there are suburbs like compton and long beach that have their issues. I'm assuming that if you left the city to move to the suburbs, you wouldn't move to a suburb that had the same issues that existed in the city. There are suburbs outside my city that i will stay away from because of their issues.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post

One more thing, I don't know the exact reason why people left the city. It might because they just don't like living in the city, or maybe they had issues with the city. It could be both. That is why this thread was created. I want to know what the reasons were. If it was because of issues they had with the city, would they move back if those issues were fixed.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:29 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In regards to schools, most cities have school district separate from their burbs'. In some metro areas, there are numerous suburban school districts; in others, like Denver, school districts are larger, but still the suburban districts outnumber the city district. If urbanists are unhappy with suburbanites for leaving the city school system, then city lines do matter. Just one example.
Just to muddy this thread a little more... In Ohio, school district boundaries can be independent of city boundaries. In the Youngstown area, there is a small part of Boardman (a suburb of Youngstown) that is in the Youngstown City School District. This happened a long time ago, because the residents of that neighborhood petitioned the state to be part of the city school district. This was back when the city school district was better/offered more than the suburban district, and it was assumed that the area would be annexed into the city eventually, anyway. How times have changed!

Old 12-24-2011, 06:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,134,534 times
Quote:
I agree with eveything you are saying. I'm just specifically asking people who left the city because of whatever issues they had with the city. I know that there are suburbs like compton and long beach that have their issues. I'm assuming that if you left the city to move to the suburbs, you wouldn't move to a suburb that had the same issues that existed in the city. There are suburbs outside my city that i will stay away from because of their issues.
Well, affordability could be an issue (moving to a ghetto further out will be cheaper than living in an inner-city ghetto), but you're right that people aren't going to willingly go to an area with the same problems as their old neighborhood.

Quote:
One more thing, I don't know the exact reason why people left the city. It might because they just don't like living in the city, or maybe they had issues with the city. It could be both. That is why this thread was created. I want to know what the reasons were. If it was because of issues they had with the city, would they move back if those issues were fixed.
True, true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Just to muddy this thread a little more... In Ohio, school district boundaries can be independent of city boundaries. In the Youngstown area, there is a small part of Boardman (a suburb of Youngstown) that is in the Youngstown City School District. This happened a long time ago, because the residents of that neighborhood petitioned the state to be part of the city school district. This was back when the city school district was better/offered more than the suburban district, and it was assumed that the area would be annexed into the city eventually, anyway. How times have changed!
Well, he did clarify that he created this thread is basically discussing whether people moved out to the suburbs to escape the perceived (or actual) problems of the cities (such as crime, schools, noise, etc), or whether it was simply because they wanted more open space (whether it's because they like fresh air or whether they actually needed a larger home to accomodate a family).

So if you're bringing "city problems" (poor schools) into a suburb, then this is another variation of the same question (Now it's "If city problems came into your neighborhood, would you remain where you are because you like the open space and suburban layout"?)

Old 12-24-2011, 06:49 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,486,496 times
Quote:
Lets keep this simple. Suburbs outside of the city limits. The city being in inside city limits.
Using Los Angeles as an example, because that's what I am most familiar and I expect others will use an example that they are most familiar:

What would we describe The Valley area of Los Angeles? It's within the city limits of LA and from a practical standpoint functions as a suburb.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
School districts here can be independent of city boundaries as well. Broomfield, CO is in five different school districts. However, it does seem that most big cities have one district, separate from the burbs.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:59 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,295,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Using Los Angeles as an example, because that's what I am most familiar and I expect others will use an example that they are most familiar:

What would we describe The Valley area of Los Angeles? It's within the city limits of LA and from a practical standpoint functions as a suburb.
The San Fernando Valley is a suburban area including many suburban neighborhoods. It was built as a suburb outside the Los Angeles city limits and later annexed into the city. Some were built as streetcar suburbs (the Pacific Electric interurban ran to the Valley) while others were built as auto suburbs.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post

I'm trying to make this as clear as possible. If its in the city limits, it is part of the city. It doesn't matter if the area/neighborhood has a suburban feel to it, or it has an urban feel to it. I'm trying to find out from people who left the city limits. I am aware that neighborhoods within the city can be designed to look like a suburb, but the neighborhood is still within the city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning