Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 09:51 AM

4,530 posts, read 4,059,010 times

Advertisements

I've noticed every time I am downtown philly people are way more open and outgoing. When I am back in the suburbs I find old people behaving ignorantly at the grocery stores and just a general off-standishness at places like the malls and gym. Also I know there is more prejudiced here. And this is just the Philly suburbs, when we were walking around downtown Wilmington we had black people giving us dirty looks and "decent" people yelling at us to get out of the way when we were crossing the road (when the light was ours).

Having grown up in a rural town with formal rednecks the one thing that makes them who they are is collective ignorance and a "if you aren't with us then your no one" mentality. It seems these two fundamentals apply in suburbs too. In the city though being unique is superior where as in the suburbs / rurals being like everyone else is superior.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:02 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,532,888 times
Wilmington isn't a suburb, it's a depressed industrial city.

Your black people/decent people sentence is disgusting, BTW.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post

Your black people/decent people sentence is disgusting, BTW.
Ha the black people in Wilmington are racist and the ones in Philly aren't, not my problem. It just shows an overall demeanour of less urban areas though. Also the the "decent" vs "black people" were independent, did I say if the person in the bmw making the turn was black or not?

Old 03-11-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Not really, it happens to HQ a lot of major companys.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:20 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,767,305 times
There a a ton of rednecks in suburbia that's for certain. Also increasingly populated by tin-hatters ranting about how Agenda 21 is going to force them all from their little patches of hell.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:24 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,532,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Not really, it happens to HQ a lot of major companys.
Wilmington is like the Virgin Islands. Lots of companies are "headquartered" there, but the headquarters is little more than a mail drop, with zero employees.

There is some banking sector employment in Wilmington. But it isn't a suburb.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Wilmington is like the Virgin Islands. Lots of companies are "headquartered" there, but the headquarters is little more than a mail drop, with zero employees.

There is some banking sector employment in Wilmington. But it isn't a suburb.
I didn't know they made 100's thousands of sqft large mailboxes. But ya the HQ's I'm thinking about are in banking.

Last edited by MikeNigh; 03-11-2013 at 10:54 AM..

Old 03-11-2013, 12:54 PM

406 posts, read 502,253 times
Easily one of the most ignorant and completely baseless assumption posts I've seen on here in a while.

Never mind the tiny sample size of locations by which you're judging all "cities" and "suburbs" by (Philly Metro and Delaware), the sentence: "In the city though being unique is superior where as in the suburbs / rurals being like everyone else is superior." sounds like complete rubbish. How could you even make a statement like that?

I've seen standoffish, rude people just about everywhere I've been...just as I've seen friendly, welcoming people as well. I live in New York City, where I find some of the most incredibly rude and ignorant folks walking around, and in some parts of the city, friendly, down to earth people. Are we talking about established medium density working class city neighborhoods? Pretentious hipster/yuppie hyper-competitive 20-something playgrounds? Rundown ghettos? Skyscraper condos? Every city has different kinds of people, and different kinds of people within the different areas/neighborhoods as well. I've been to suburbs in New Jersey that seemed to have people who were ignorant and nasty, and I've been to suburbs where people were open and welcoming. I don't know how the type of neighborhood (and it's density, "walkability" or whatever) and whether it's in a city or a suburb determines what kind of people live there, and how "open and outgoing" they are.

I spent six weeks in a outer ring suburb of Cincinnati last summer, and always seemed to encounter open,engaging and friendly people just about everywhere I go. Currently, I work in the Newport "mixed-use" development in Jersey City, where every day people who live and work around here "power walk" without even a passing glance to wherever they're headed, never a hello or even a friendly, open demeanor to them whatsoever. Maybe it's just my observations of these two specific areas, what you said would be like me saying that ALL urban areas have cold, unfriendly people miserably going about their business, and suburbia is filled with interesting, friendly people based on these two specific examples.

And I really don't understand the whole "city = unique, suburbs = being like everyone else".....I can find plenty of examples of how people are BOTH in cities and suburbs, it depends on how you look at things, and ultimately it also depends on how much that person is really concerned with being unique. One could say how "unique" it is with everyone cramming on the same subway train every day, or how a row of townhouses or row homes or apartment buildings on a particular block are "all the same", just like the "cookie cutter subdivision" argument nonsense. One could easily say that in the suburbs, there is a huge variety of land/home ownership opportunities (cities do too of course), where homes don't all look the same, and one could own more land for less money than the city that they could use for activities that they enjoy, such as my desire to buy a large lot established non-HOA suburban home with enough garage space for my personal vehicles and project car, room for in-ground pool and lots of space in my home. Plenty of people share a similar desire for relatively cheap land and the "openness" and individuality of the suburbs, versus the general collective nature of cities, to which I have no desire to be a part of. People of all types find their "place" in a whole variety of community types..I fail to see how you could so easily stereotype them like that, makes no sense to me.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:24 PM

3,352 posts, read 4,178,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
There a a ton of rednecks in suburbia that's for certain. Also increasingly populated by tin-hatters ranting about how Agenda 21 is going to force them all from their little patches of hell.
I love how you preach "urbanism", yet you reside in the "jesus of sprawl"- Texas.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:53 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,355,885 times
And they say that it's only/mostly conservatives who stereotype and practice hate speech???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning