Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 09:20 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,568,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Yes, of course that's true of every field. Why did I say this about urban planners? Hmmmm, let's think about this.... could it be because this is the Urban Planning Forum? You would talk about lawyers on the Law Forum, not here. Also, I was talking about this man's opinion. He spent his life working in this field, and therefore it makes sense that he would discuss the realities of working in his field as opposed to discussing all fields in general. You are simply insulting a person because personal attacks are what people resort to when can't argue with an idea. Sad.

Im not insulting him. As I said its possible you misremeber what he said, or simply that the field has changed. I am suggesting that what you said he said is not consistent with what I know of the profession, including what I learned about it from a prominent and very good practitioner.

And the fact that urban planners, like folks in every profession, occasionally make mistakes, is not necessarily a useful thing to point out just because this is the urban planning forum. I doubt anyone has said here that planners are infallible - i mean since they dont all agree, how could they be. Certainly I dont think it follows from that that the common sense of lay peope is bette than the ideas of urban planners - as Katiana said in the thread on public health, public policy should be made on data - if the common sense intuition that walkable areas mean lower BMI is not supported by data and analysis, than it would be a mistake to rely on common sense. Ditto for other issues.

I would also note that we have had many mistakes by traffic engineers, who did things violating the principles of urban planning, with very negative results for our cities. We dont have a traffic engineering forum, but that seems quite appropriate to note on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Wish I could rep you again, but since I can't, I'll do it publicly.

My opinion about "charettes" and "stakeholders"-any time you have to resort to jargon to describe a "community meeting" and "interested parties", you're trying to be something you're not. This came up when the City of Boulder put on some "charettes".

Im not that fond of "stakeholders" but I think a charette is a particular kind of community meeting.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Im not that fond of "stakeholders" but I think a charette is a particular kind of community meeting.
Supposedly, but I've attended my lifetime quota of meetings, and a meeting is only as good as the people running it. It just sounds so pretentious. It's funny, Boulder is one of the most highly educated communities in the US, and its residents called this BS. Of course, Boulder has a lot of scientists who like to call a spade a spade, not a "pique".

Charrette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
spade translation French | English-French dictionary | Reverso Collins

Old 12-29-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Supposedly, but I've attended my lifetime quota of meetings, and a meeting is only as good as the people running it. It just sounds so pretentious. It's funny, Boulder is one of the most highly educated communities in the US, and its residents called this BS. Of course, Boulder has a lot of scientists who like to call a spade a spade, not a "pique".

Charrette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
spade translation French | English-French dictionary | Reverso Collins

I don't find a word pretentious just cause its French.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I don't find a word pretentious just cause its French.
Maybe in a country where English is the common language, it is. I see it as an attempt by the urban planners to set themselves apart with jargon that few people understand.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Maybe in a country where English is the common language, it is. I see it as an attempt by the urban planners to set themselves apart with jargon that few people understand.

More pretentious than Spanish or Italian? German or Yiddish?

Its a word that was originally used in the architecture and design fields, where everyone seems to have understood it.

Im also not sure why in an age of google and wiki, people can't find out what it means. How are people befuddled at "charrette" going to navigate their way through floor area ratios, proffers, overlay districts, logit models, demand curves, and the like. At some point if you want to make your voice heard you have to do a little work.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
jargon -

Origin:
1300–50; Middle English jargoun < Middle French; Old French jargon, gargun, derivative of an expressive base *garg-; see gargle, gargoyle

pretentious - Origin of PRETENTIOUS

French prétentieux, from prétention pretension, from Medieval Latin pretention-, pretentio, from Latin praetendere First Known Use: 1832

Old 12-29-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
More pretentious than Spanish or Italian? German or Yiddish?

Its a word that was originally used in the architecture and design fields, where everyone seems to have understood it.

Im also not sure why in an age of google and wiki, people can't find out what it means. How are people befuddled at "charrette" going to navigate their way through floor area ratios, proffers, overlay districts, logit models, demand curves, and the like. At some point if you want to make your voice heard you have to do a little work.
What's wrong with English?

Quote:
jargon -

Origin:
1300–50; Middle English jargoun < Middle French; Old French jargon, gargun, derivative of an expressive base *garg-; see gargle, gargoyle

pretentious - Origin of PRETENTIOUS

French prétentieux, from prétention pretension, from Medieval Latin pretention-, pretentio, from Latin praetendere First Known Use: 1832
Boy, did you show me! Not. "Everyone" knows English is a mixture of many different languages. So what? Charrette is not a word English-speakers use.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:38 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Can we get back to urban planning rather than discussing word choice merits?

Old 12-29-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
What's wrong with English?
charrette IS english - now. its used by english speakers. when speaking english.

Why a new word? because there isnt another word that exactly captures what charrette does - community meeting could mean a lot of things. Even community outreach could mean a lot of things. Charrette is a single word, that means a community meaning to share plans and get community input on design issues.

The glory of the english language is its ability to absorb new words, often from other languages, that enable it to express new concepts precisely.

The hostility to foreign words - now THAT sounds French

Académie française - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

edit - posted before I saw the mod warning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning