Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 02:11 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I'm 65 and come from a long line of east TX and SE OK backwoods folks. I grew up in an isolated area that didn't get electricity until the mid-50's and running water until the mid-60s. Bigfoot has been a topic of interest going back to the mid-1960s for neighbors and family, long before we ever heard that term. Back then, they just referred to it as "a creature". In fact, we thought it was a local phenomenon and had no idea there were reports throughout history and the world.

None of my brothers or other male relatives or their friends, who were proficient hunters by the time they entered grade school, would laugh at anyone interested in the topic.

...and yet, with all the hunting they did, they never managed to shoot one. How strange....

My point however was really that having a "bucket list" of seeing Bigfoot is a bit of a distorted priority when the beauty of the outdoors can be appreciated. Reminds me of the idiom - "missing the forest for the trees".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
It is useless to argue about it with non believers. I started out to bust this as a hoax back in the 90's and have failed miserably but with some excitement.
I was just thinking the opposite, even before I read your post - it's useless to argue with believers.

I actually think a belief is Bigfoot, in 2014 - with the advances in technology, DNA testing, everyone carrying a camera, sattelite technology, all terrain vehicles, and population increase, and development spread, is quant. It certainly takes a leap of faith to believe in something without a single shread of evidence except anecdotal tales and blurry photos. It's somehow strangely....reassuring that humans aren't turning into machines incapable of imagination.

Bigfoot does not exist. No way, no how...but keep on believing. Keep the faith!

Old 06-30-2014, 02:54 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I was just thinking the opposite, even before I read your post - it's useless to argue with believers.

I actually think a belief is Bigfoot, in 2014 - with the advances in technology, DNA testing, everyone carrying a camera, sattelite technology, all terrain vehicles, and population increase, and development spread, is quant. It certainly takes a leap of faith to believe in something without a single shread of evidence except anecdotal tales and blurry photos. It's somehow strangely....reassuring that humans aren't turning into machines incapable of imagination.

Bigfoot does not exist. No way, no how...but keep on believing. Keep the faith!

It certainly takes a leap of faith to believe in something without a single shread of evidence except anecdotal tales and blurry photos.

You nor i nor anyone else is privy to if a person actually shot one or more and how do you actually know that people haven't taken good photos of them? I have seen some very good photos of these creatures. Why would i want to share them with anyone? I did. Go read the BIGFOOT TURNED OVER MY SLOW COOKER thread. Look at the pictures.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:44 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
...and yet, with all the hunting they did, they never managed to shoot one. How strange....

My point however was really that having a "bucket list" of seeing Bigfoot is a bit of a distorted priority when the beauty of the outdoors can be appreciated. Reminds me of the idiom - "missing the forest for the trees".
Shoot one? Are you kidding me? As if sightings and carry are simultaneous. You have no clue. It's not like folks back then, or now, carry rifles cocked and primed for every unexpected occurrence.

Raised in the deep woods of SE OK and NE TX in the 1950s and 1960s, ate squirrel for breakfast and venison for lunch by necessity not preference, cut field cedars for xmas trees, I'll see and raise your so-called appreciation for the outdoors.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:57 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Bigfoot sightings and tales are over a 100 years old. The poor ol' beast must be exhausted from all those travels by now and slowing down. He's probably ready for a colonoscopy by now and looking for a retirement cave where he can have a little garden and live in peace and quiet.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Shoot one? Are you kidding me? As if sightings and carry are simultaneous. You have no clue. It's not like folks back then, or now, carry rifles cocked and primed for every unexpected occurrence.

Raised in the deep woods of SE OK and NE TX in the 1950s and 1960s, ate squirrel for breakfast and venison for lunch by necessity not preference, cut field cedars for xmas trees, I'll see and raise your so-called appreciation for the outdoors.
Oh sorry, I thought in their pursuits as "proficient hunters", as my text specifically said (i.e. "with all the hunting they did..."), they, like maybe, carried hunting rifles, just maybe...
But I don't have a clue...what do I know.

But keep the faith!

Old 07-02-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Oh sorry, I thought in their pursuits as "proficient hunters", as my text specifically said (i.e. "with all the hunting they did..."), they, like maybe, carried hunting rifles, just maybe...
But I don't have a clue...what do I know.

But keep the faith!
I can say why most hunters have not shot at one. Other than big game you don't need a high power rifle. Kids most generally go after squirrels, rabbits etc with a .22 cal rifle or a shotgun with bird shot.
I don't know if you know anything about hunting but any person that hunts will tell you that to shoot something so much bigger than a man with a gun like i described is insanity. I sure wouldn't want to have to shoot at something like that even with a 12 gauge slug in a single shotgun.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:58 AM

Bad new on "BigFoot" hair samples:
"DNA testing is taking a bite out of the Bigfoot legend. After scientists analyzed more than 30 hair samples reportedly left behind by Bigfoot and similar mythical beasts like the Himalayan Yeti, they found all of them came from more mundane creatures like bears, wolves, cows and raccoons."

Bigfoot Hair Samples Mostly From Bears, Wolves : NPR

The scientist put a good spin on it: "The fact that none of these samples turned out to be (a Yeti) doesn't mean the next one won't,"

Keep the faith!

Old 07-02-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Bad new on "BigFoot" hair samples:
"DNA testing is taking a bite out of the Bigfoot legend. After scientists analyzed more than 30 hair samples reportedly left behind by Bigfoot and similar mythical beasts like the Himalayan Yeti, they found all of them came from more mundane creatures like bears, wolves, cows and raccoons."

Bigfoot Hair Samples Mostly From Bears, Wolves : NPR

The scientist put a good spin on it: "The fact that none of these samples turned out to be (a Yeti) doesn't mean the next one won't,"

Keep the faith!
I know of people that have hair analyzed and it came back unknown primate. IRRC a lab has to be licensed or appointed to do DNA work on Primate DNA.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I can say why most hunters have not shot at one. Other than big game you don't need a high power rifle. Kids most generally go after squirrels, rabbits etc with a .22 cal rifle or a shotgun with bird shot.
I don't know if you know anything about hunting but any person that hunts will tell you that to shoot something so much bigger than a man with a gun like i described is insanity. I sure wouldn't want to have to shoot at something like that even with a 12 gauge slug in a single shotgun.
Agreed, I own and am licensed to carry weapons, and I would not encourage anyone to shoot "Harry" in any event. But that wasn't the previous posters response. Obviously, she goofed, I caught her, and she was trying to misdirect in her response with irrelevance, not to mention the personal insult.
I've seen personal insults break out in the P&C forum over politics, religion, etc...but Bigfoot? LOL. Amusing. Keep the faith!

Last edited by Dd714; 07-02-2014 at 12:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal