Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 09:09 PM

6,221 posts, read 5,996,582 times

Advertisements

By 1950, the eastern mountain lion was thought to have been exterminated throughout the Appalachian mountain chain. But there were those who lived in the mountains who had seen evidence they still existed. In the 1990s, cougar scat was found in VT, and a video was captured in MD of a mountain lion walking through the woods. A track from WV was confirmed as a cougar's in 1998. But there's no body, no undeniable evidence that cougars still exist out east.

A video taken in Arkansas in 1994 accompanied by multiple sightings has convinced many that the largest woodpecker, the ivory billed, has managed to escape extinction.

So I'd say, yeah, it's not beyond possibility that there's a large primate that ekes out living in the woods of North America and has managed to avoid capture so far. There's a lot of wild country out there; the eastern U.S. is more forested today than it was in revolutionary times. For me, the biggest problem with bigfoot is the absence of any fossil evidence for a bipedal primate similar to that size. It doesn't seem to easily fit in anywhere in the hominid family tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 09:27 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,958,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
By 1950, the eastern mountain lion was thought to have been exterminated throughout the Appalachian mountain chain. But there were those who lived in the mountains who had seen evidence they still existed. In the 1990s, cougar scat was found in VT, and a video was captured in MD of a mountain lion walking through the woods. A track from WV was confirmed as a cougar's in 1998. But there's no body, no undeniable evidence that cougars still exist out east.

A video taken in Arkansas in 1994 accompanied by multiple sightings has convinced many that the largest woodpecker, the ivory billed, has managed to escape extinction.

So I'd say, yeah, it's not beyond possibility that there's a large primate that ekes out living in the woods of North America and has managed to avoid capture so far. There's a lot of wild country out there; the eastern U.S. is more forested today than it was in revolutionary times. For me, the biggest problem with bigfoot is the absence of any fossil evidence for a bipedal primate similar to that size. It doesn't seem to easily fit in anywhere in the hominid family tree.
But the mountain lion and woodpecker were known for fact to exist, pictures, hunting, etc prove their existence before extinction.

Bigfoot on the other hand, has no evidence of it ever existing.

And while the eastern US is more forested (I will believe you on this), it does not have even close to the amount of large areas of uninhabited/developed land as it did in the revolutionary time.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:42 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,852,633 times
Not meaning to throw the gauntlet down to anyone on this discussion in particular, and since I have always been fascinated by the unknown, I wanted to give my opinion on the matter.
Consider, for a moment that the physical rules, and boundaries we place on ourselves day to day are put in place only for our benefit to acquire structure, and give order to our existence. Suppose that there are life forms on, and in this Earth that don't adhere to our physical limitations, and boundaries, and exist within a life-structure that is totally alien, and incomprehensible to any of us. On occasion, Mankind's arrogance in assuming to have an all-encompassing knowledge of any one thing has sometimes backfired when more information is eventually brought to light. In some cases not understanding things in this world can lead us to dismissal, or at best, denial of the unknown, thereby ending any further prospect of learning about the discovery. A seeming refusal to accept anything that doesn't fit within our structure of existence. In this discussion, here, it might be prudent to consider many possibilities for explanation.
I don't dispute anyone's claims, or their beliefs, but more suggest that we explore our world with minds open to new possibilities. If the discoveries fall short, and nothing becomes of them, then maybe in the course of exploration we find something that will spark our interests in another direction. Who knows? After all, isn't life a journey?

Old 06-16-2014, 08:27 AM

20,319 posts, read 21,208,826 times
Hey, for a while there people were absolutely convinced the world was flat.

And supposedly the Tasmanian Tiger is still hanging around.

They should rally a few thousand bigfoot enthusiasts together and canvass one of the bigfoot hotspots.
Just comb the entire area. If you had a mile or so long line of people it would be fairly hard to hide out don't ya think?

Old 06-16-2014, 10:51 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,321,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
Not meaning to throw the gauntlet down to anyone on this discussion in particular, and since I have always been fascinated by the unknown, I wanted to give my opinion on the matter.
Consider, for a moment that the physical rules, and boundaries we place on ourselves day to day are put in place only for our benefit to acquire structure, and give order to our existence. Suppose that there are life forms on, and in this Earth that don't adhere to our physical limitations, and boundaries, and exist within a life-structure that is totally alien, and incomprehensible to any of us. On occasion, Mankind's arrogance in assuming to have an all-encompassing knowledge of any one thing has sometimes backfired when more information is eventually brought to light. In some cases not understanding things in this world can lead us to dismissal, or at best, denial of the unknown, thereby ending any further prospect of learning about the discovery. A seeming refusal to accept anything that doesn't fit within our structure of existence. In this discussion, here, it might be prudent to consider many possibilities for explanation.
I don't dispute anyone's claims, or their beliefs, but more suggest that we explore our world with minds open to new possibilities. If the discoveries fall short, and nothing becomes of them, then maybe in the course of exploration we find something that will spark our interests in another direction. Who knows? After all, isn't life a journey?
I am thinking something like a parallel dimension. Don't know squat about that stuff. Steven Hawking said that parallel dimensions do exist.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
But the mountain lion and woodpecker were known for fact to exist, pictures, hunting, etc prove their existence before extinction.

Bigfoot on the other hand, has no evidence of it ever existing.

And while the eastern US is more forested (I will believe you on this), it does not have even close to the amount of large areas of uninhabited/developed land as it did in the revolutionary time.
You might want to reread my third paragraph.

Regarding forestation, you don't have to take my word for it:

Nature's Comeback: Eastern US Forests | The Nature Conservancy

Point is, if bigfoot exists, there's plenty of habitat for it.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:15 PM

734 posts, read 1,091,002 times
@Vasily i just googled the ivory billed woodpecker. It is so pretty and I hate birds. LOL

Old 06-16-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
You might want to reread my third paragraph.

Regarding forestation, you don't have to take my word for it:

Nature's Comeback: Eastern US Forests | The Nature Conservancy

Point is, if bigfoot exists, there's plenty of habitat for it.
Those that think the NW is the only place just have not been back east a bit.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:22 PM

One fact that really is odd is that during times of heavy snow; then the tracks just go away for the most part, longer than one would think they could hold out without food.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
@Vasily i just googled the ivory billed woodpecker. It is so pretty and I hate birds. LOL
Many years ago I climbed to the top of a mountain in NC just before a very foggy daybreak, and a pileated woodpecker flew across the clearing at the top just a few feet from me. It wasn't an ivory billed, but it was the next best thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal