Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 05:24 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,156,766 times

Advertisements

Since CA has - by far - the most filings of any state, with roughly 1.2 Million filings in just the past two weeks, I thought I'd put together a thread here that can be updated as they release information.

To put a couple of things in context here, EDD would normally process about 115,000 claims during a two week period. Overnight, they've seen their workload go up tenfold, while they were already understaffed to begin with.

You will not be able to get through on the phone, so make sure you're answering every unknown number that calls you - particularly if you are using 1099 income. If you miss that call, you're going to delay your claim.

EDD Had a major system update push through last night, which I was hoping was going to contain the programming to facilitate the PUA-funded claims and extensions and bonus money. Alas, it did not.

They did, however, post an update here:

https://www.edd.ca.gov/About_EDD/pdf/news-20-09.pdf

Some key excerpts

Quote:
We have reviewed the federal CARES Act and are working on programming needed to implement the new provisions for the unemployed but, like all other states, we are currently awaiting further guidance from the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) to complete that programming. That includes all of the parameters needed to start paying an additional $600 to those receiving unemployment benefits in light of the impacts of the coronavirus, as well as to establish a new 13-week extension of benefits paid for by the federal government when someone exhausts their regular UI claim during an established timeline.

The Pandemic Unemployment Assistance is a brand new program. The EDD is working quickly with state partners to set up this new program to serve unemployed Californians who don’t usually qualify for regular state UI benefits, including the self-employed. Californians should follow the current instructions on this page regarding potential UI benefits with more details to come later in the week as soon as they are available.
Some links provided in that update:

If you have already applied in March, here are the next steps in your claim
https://www.edd.ca.gov/about_edd/cor...ent-claims.htm

Setting up a UI Online account
https://www.edd.ca.gov/pdf_pub_ctr/de2338h.pdf

I was really hoping today would carry better news for Californians, but it looks like you'll be in a holding pattern for a few more days at a minimum. I know this is a stressful time for all, but it has been evolving very quickly - even if it doesn't seem like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 09:08 AM

5 posts, read 12,164 times
Thank you for this information. Have they said anything about the initial claim material being delayed beyond their typical 10-day period? I filed on 3/17/2020 and the confirmation said I should have received something by 3/27/2020, but I'm still waiting for my initial package unfortunately.

Old 04-03-2020, 09:52 AM

245 posts, read 382,388 times
It says,in the link provided, that the EDD hopes to start making the $600 payments starting next week and continue there after, barring any surprises. My question is , are those payments going to be retro active to when this pandemic started, besides 1.5 million Californians applied for UI in the last 2 weeks of March alone.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:47 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,214,579 times
I saw on a FB interview with a CA official (that I can't find the link to now)...he said they have moved something like 300 state workers to EDD and will reassign another 800 soon to process all these claims. He basically said that everyone needs to be patient because they are working 7 days a week trying to handle it all.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:15 PM

Yeah. They’re hiring and reassigning people as fast as possible.

A friend of mine that had done his 20 with them and retired just got an email offer for a 20% pay bump and almost unlimited overtime to work from home processing cases. He’s trying to negotiate work hours to allow him to do both his current WFH job and EDD case work.

Ca-chiiing$$.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:28 PM

4 posts, read 4,577 times
I just got a vm today saying my phone interview for next week is cancelled due to they dont need any information from me at this time. Did that make me uneligible for the UI?

Old 04-09-2020, 01:43 PM

38 posts, read 51,689 times
They are taking UI Online down again tonight. Hopefully they are updating the programming for the $600.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:16 PM

38 posts, read 51,689 times
https://www.edd.ca.gov/about_edd/cor...19/workers.htm

"Starting Sunday, for the week ending April 11, 2020, the EDD will begin paying an additional $600 on top of your current weekly benefit amount with the extra money coming from the federal government as part of the federal CARES Act. Here’s what you need to know:

Claimants do not need to do anything to receive this extra funding. The EDD will automatically add the full $600 to each week of current benefits that are paid every two weeks, as long you are eligible for at least $1 in a regular payment each week.
For someone receiving the most recent average Unemployment Insurance payment of $340 a week, a usual biweekly payment would equal $680. With the extra payment, that biweekly payment would increase to $1,880.
The first week the additional payments can be made is for the week ending April 4, not before. Separate retroactive payments will be automatically issued soon to those who had an active claim that week, and the $600 extra payments can continue to those who remain impacted and otherwise eligible for benefits through the week ending July 31, 2020."

Old 04-09-2020, 02:38 PM

18 posts, read 28,179 times
They don't say nothing in regards to the people that exhausted their benefits just this past month.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct0715 View Post
I just got a vm today saying my phone interview for next week is cancelled due to they dont need any information from me at this time. Did that make me uneligible for the UI?
No. The exact opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment