Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 06:02 PM

98 posts, read 79,177 times

Advertisements

My sister is a ride share driver and I've been helping her find information regarding the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program. She applied for unemployment benefits about 3 weeks ago and got a notification stating she was ineligible. The rejection notice was expected as she is self-employed and the EDD has not begun accepting applications for the PUA program yet. My question is, since she already applied and EDD processed her original claim, will the EDD automatically enroll her in the PUA program? Or will she be required to fill out a new application specifically for the PUA program once it goes live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 06:09 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,768,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3531 View Post
My sister is a ride share driver and I've been helping her find information regarding the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program. She applied for unemployment benefits about 3 weeks ago and got a notification stating she was ineligible. The rejection notice was expected as she is self-employed and the EDD has not begun accepting applications for the PUA program yet. My question is, since she already applied and EDD processed her original claim, will the EDD automatically enroll her in the PUA program? Or will she be required to fill out a new application specifically for the PUA program once it goes live?

4/15 Update
GOVERNOR ANNOUNCES SUPPORT FOR UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE AND PANDEMIC UNEMPLOYMENT ASSISTANCE APPLICATIONS
At the Governor’s direction, the Employment Development Department (EDD) will expand its call center hours to operate 7 days a week from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM beginning Monday, April 20, to assist individuals applying for unemployment insurance benefits. The EDD will also have a one-stop shop for individuals applying for both State unemployment insurance and the new federal Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) program beginning April 28. The PUA will provide federally funded benefits distinct from UI program for certain individuals out of work or partially unemployed due to COVID-19, including the self-employed, certain employees who lack sufficient work history, independent contractors, and gig workers. PUA benefits to be issued within 24-48 hours. More information at Gov.CA.gov.

Originally I thought those who filed and were denied regular UI would be reviewed automatically for PUA.

When to File a Claim

We have a dedicated team working around the clock with state partners to build this new program as quickly as possible. The EDD will begin accepting online applications for this program on Tuesday, April 28. This page will be updated with instructions for filing a claim for PUA benefits when details become available.

If you are unsure if you are an independent contractor or an employee who could be eligible for benefits, file for regular Unemployment Insurance benefits and we will determine your eligibility.

After you have filed, refer to our step-by-step UI claims process. You’ll learn what to expect and the actions you need to take through the course of your claim for receiving benefit payments as long as you’re eligible.

https://www.edd.ca.gov/about_edd/cor...assistance.htm

Last edited by scraprsmith; 04-18-2020 at 06:21 PM..

Old 04-18-2020, 07:33 PM

53 posts, read 39,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3531 View Post
We won't know until they get the programming done for this group and the extension group. It would make sense, but considering California it will they do not make anything easy. I'm waiting for the extension link and it would make sense to just do it automatically with a few verification questions, but that would be way too easy for them.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:36 PM

42 posts, read 300,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWSB62 View Post
Thank you for this information. Have they said anything about the initial claim material being delayed beyond their typical 10-day period? I filed on 3/17/2020 and the confirmation said I should have received something by 3/27/2020, but I'm still waiting for my initial package unfortunately.

Did you received your EDD card yet? I filed on 3/15, certified for a weekly amount, payments have been posted but no way to access funds since I have not yet received BoA debit card.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:47 PM

160 posts, read 141,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz47 View Post
Did you received your EDD card yet? I filed on 3/15, certified for a weekly amount, payments have been posted but no way to access funds since I have not yet received BoA debit card.
You have to wait. Or contact BoA and ask about the status.
It took weeks for me to get my card back in September with no virus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment