Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 08:06 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,216,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRana33 View Post
Just for clarification purpose, I think what they were talking on EED's website was in regards to PUA (Pandemic Unemployment Assistance- CARES ACT Section 2102) which was created for workers (e.g., self-employed, independent contractors, gig economy workers) that didn't qualify for traditional unemployment benefits.

Whereas, Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (“PEUC”) found in Section 2107 of the CARES Act applies to people whose benefits have expired after July 1, 2019 and qualify for the 13 weeks extension and PUC (i.e. $600 through July 31, 2020).

FYI - Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (PUC) under Section 2104 provides unemployment recipients an additional $600 a week through July 31, 2020.
Okay, thanks. That makes sense.

Is this quote below in reference to PUA or PEUC?

"The EDD will also keep you posted on the CARES Act provision establishing a new 13-week extension of benefits paid for by the federal government when someone exhausts their regular state UI claim between March 29, 2020 and the end of 2020. This too also requires an extensive effort to implement these new extended benefits."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 08:07 PM

53 posts, read 42,811 times
Fingers crossed after tonight's maintenance update for some actual clarity.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:17 PM

36 posts, read 30,035 times
I think that would relate to PUA or either could be mistake. I have read NY and Texas's extended benefit implementation on their website, and they both are similar information. If those informations are correct, it should be applicable in CA in similar fashion given its a federal law now..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scal2010 View Post
Okay, thanks. That makes sense.

Is this quote below in reference to PUA or PEUC?

"The EDD will also keep you posted on the CARES Act provision establishing a new 13-week extension of benefits paid for by the federal government when someone exhausts their regular state UI claim between March 29, 2020 and the end of 2020. This too also requires an extensive effort to implement these new extended benefits."

Old 04-09-2020, 08:24 PM

53 posts, read 42,811 times
This would make the most sense. UI never had provisions before for self-employed, etc workers before, right? So March 29th date would make sense for PUA.

Old 04-10-2020, 09:39 AM

19 posts, read 15,645 times
Dunno if it was covered, but they updated the PUA section:

https://www.edd.ca.gov/about_edd/cor...assistance.htm

It mentions certain things that would qualify you and I think this might be the only one that works for me:

If you work as an independent contractor with reportable income, you may also qualify for PUA benefits if you are unemployed, partially employed, or unable or unavailable to work because the COVID-19 public health emergency has severely limited your ability to continue performing your customary work activities, and has thereby forced you to stop working.

Does this mean I need to stop doing Postmates work entirely? I'm only able to get like $60 a week at this point to cover some basic stuff, but this makes it sound like doing any work would disqualify you.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:38 PM

83 posts, read 110,656 times
Seems like California is moving a lot faster I received several emails about updates today, and my wife who filed on Tuesday after being furloughed received emails about logging in and accessing her accessing her account after logging in she already has a benefit amount and weekly amount and set to certify on the 19th but still awaiting her BofA debit card.

Old 04-11-2020, 05:30 PM

185 posts, read 89,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVOMW1 View Post
Seems like California is moving a lot faster I received several emails about updates today, and my wife who filed on Tuesday after being furloughed received emails about logging in and accessing her accessing her account after logging in she already has a benefit amount and weekly amount and set to certify on the 19th but still awaiting her BofA debit card.
It does look like CA is moving quicker, though I've not received any updated emails from CA EDD.
I've just been reading the EDD site to get the updated info. But it does seem they are on top of it getting everything in motion.

I filed back at the end of last year and have collected benefits since then, so I'm definitely in the system.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:15 PM

59 posts, read 51,942 times
https://edd.ca.gov/about_edd/coronav...19/workers.htm

"Claimants do not need to do anything to receive this extra funding. The EDD will automatically add the full $600 to each week of current benefits that are paid every two weeks, as long you are eligible for at least $1 in a regular payment each week."

Which leads to confusion, or simply sadness, as my edd.ca.gov claim funding zeros out tonight, with no employment in sight.

Old 04-11-2020, 10:15 PM

245 posts, read 382,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostwallet View Post
https://edd.ca.gov/about_edd/coronav...19/workers.htm

"Claimants do not need to do anything to receive this extra funding. The EDD will automatically add the full $600 to each week of current benefits that are paid every two weeks, as long you are eligible for at least $1 in a regular payment each week."

Which leads to confusion, or simply sadness, as my edd.ca.gov claim funding zeros out tonight, with no employment in sight.
you should be able to qualify for an extension I believe they extended benefits by 13 weeks, from 26 to 39 weeks.

Old 04-12-2020, 01:05 AM

38 posts, read 51,774 times
EDD is down. Hopefully it will come up soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment