Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 06:28 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,214,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliedd View Post
I had exhausted benefits with benefit year ending 4/04/20. Where does that put me? There was no option for me to re-open/continue to certify and now simply states my benefit year is expired and to “file new claim.” If states are supposed to be similar, as per NY’s directions my expired claim should get 13 week extension, right? (Any claim after July 2019)
I'm reading it as you're getting the 13 week extension. They are gong by your claim date ending (I think). They are figuring out how to set up the extensions.

Today my claim changed where it doesn't say "expired or file a new claim" - now it only lists Notifications and Payments. I think "something" is happening. Maybe after the update tonight there will be more answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I had exhausted benefits with benefit year ending 4/04/20. Where does that put me? There was no option for me to re-open/continue to certify and now simply states my benefit year is expired and to “file new claim.” If states are supposed to be similar, as per NY’s directions my expired claim should get 13 week extension, right? (Any claim after July 2019)
"The EDD will also keep you posted on the CARES Act provision establishing a new 13-week extension of benefits paid for by the federal government when someone exhausts their regular state UI claim between March 29, 2020 and the end of 2020. This too also requires an extensive effort to implement these new extended benefits."

So you are included is how I'm reading it.

Old 04-09-2020, 06:51 PM

160 posts, read 141,275 times
Quote:

you're in the clear based on the current official statement they just updated today its 3/29/20 onward.
You only exhausted 5 days ago you are fine because you're within the gauranteed timeframe for the 13 week extension but we can't file anymore until the extension is put in place.
Maybe we all got to wait til Sunday or maybe after this update tonight

Old 04-09-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scal2010 View Post
That can't be right. There has to be some type of plan for people before March 29. Maybe it will kick back to the state to provide some type of extension.

Do you mean your claim date ended on 3/22 or that's when you exhausted the money?
late reply but my claim is valid until 09/2020 its just I have $0 remaining payable and can't file claims, Im not expecting anything retroactive at all just In need of the extension which NY got clear guidelines of and California is left guessing what they mean

Old 04-09-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
The "shelter in place" happened BEFORE March 29. So it would not make any sense at all to make that the cut off date.

Maybe they will do another update soon and correct their verbiage.
I also want to note that I know the biggest emphasis is people who are just losing their job as a direct result of this and NOT US who were already in the middle or near end of an existing claim for the past 5-6 months before this all went down. And there are no jobs to return to, they waived the job search requirement for current filers so they understand there's no work but if you started your claim in 09/2020 or around that time like I did you will have ended you 6 months of payments right BEFORE 3/29 so its a huge gray area

Old 04-09-2020, 07:02 PM

36 posts, read 29,939 times
You guys got me, I was little perplexed myself after reading some of the comments. So far, what i have read (through Texas and NY edd websites) and I understand is that that if you have exhausted your UI benefit after 07/01/2019 then you qualify for PEUC (PANDEMIC EMERGENCY UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION - CARES ACT SEC. 2107.) for an extension of 13 weeks (REGULAR UI pay + $600) and requires to be able to work...

https://www.twc.texas.gov/news/covid-19-resources-job-seekers

Old 04-09-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmonte View Post
late reply but my claim is valid until 09/2020 its just I have $0 remaining payable and can't file claims, Im not expecting anything retroactive at all just In need of the extension which NY got clear guidelines of and California is left guessing what they mean

The important date is when your claim date ends, not when you exhausted your money. The 9/2020 date would qualify you.

This is how I'm interpreting their statement from today. A claim lasts for one year.

I think the confusion is CA is using the claim end date as the cut off and NY is using the claim open date as the reference.

(Or maybe I'm just confused.)

Old 04-09-2020, 07:37 PM

53 posts, read 42,763 times
Quote:
I'm reading it as you're getting the 13 week extension. They are gong by your claim date ending (I think). They are figuring out how to set up the extensions.

Today my claim changed where it doesn't say "expired or file a new claim" - now it only lists Notifications and Payments. I think "something" is happening. Maybe after the update tonight there will be more answers.
Cool! Where do you see this info though? Mine still says this on the home page:

Quote:
Claim Expired

Your claim has expired and benefits are no longer payable on this claim for weeks ending after 04/04/2020. If you are still unemployed or partially unemployed then you must file a new claim. Start filing a new claim now.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:51 PM

36 posts, read 29,939 times
Just for clarification purpose, I think what they were talking on EED's website was in regards to PUA (Pandemic Unemployment Assistance- CARES ACT Section 2102) which was created for workers (e.g., self-employed, independent contractors, gig economy workers) that didn't qualify for traditional unemployment benefits.

Whereas, Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (“PEUC”) found in Section 2107 of the CARES Act applies to people whose benefits have expired after July 1, 2019 and qualify for the 13 weeks extension and PUC (i.e. $600 through July 31, 2020).

FYI - Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (PUC) under Section 2104 provides unemployment recipients an additional $600 a week through July 31, 2020.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Cool! Where do you see this info though? Mine still says this on the home page:
That's Claim Expired info you posted was there for me yesterday but it's gone now.

I hope that's good news, or it just means my new claim was rejected so they wiped that info out. I have no idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment