Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 02:48 PM

53 posts, read 42,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The first week the additional payments can be made is for the week ending April 4, not before. Separate retroactive payments will be automatically issued soon to those who had an active claim that week, and the $600 extra payments can continue to those who remain impacted and otherwise eligible for benefits through the week ending July 31, 2020.
Does this mean if I have no active claim open right now (pending fax form approval OR denial?) I won't be receiving the $600 retroactively for these dates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 02:52 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,162,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliedd View Post
Does this mean if I have no active claim open right now (pending fax form approval OR denial?) I won't be receiving the $600 retroactively for these dates?
It doesn’t look like there will be any retroactive payments

Old 04-09-2020, 02:59 PM

So should I file now for new claim instead of (hoping) they extend my exhausted claim for 13 weeks? Not cool if they don't retro pay the $600/week... :/

Old 04-09-2020, 03:01 PM

16 posts, read 14,102 times
My claim was on the 15th of march, I didnt receive yet any payment, will I receive the 600$ weekly too for the 1st and 2nd week of payment??

Old 04-09-2020, 03:29 PM

66 posts, read 67,442 times
Default Message on 13 week extension on web site

My 26 weeks ended Feb 8, would be very bad if we do not qualify if our claim ended before March 29, 2020
Hoping it just means the 13 week is not retroactive.

This is on there web site.

https://www.edd.ca.gov/About_EDD/coronavirus-2019.htm

The EDD will also keep you posted on the CARES Act provision establishing a new 13-week extension of benefits paid for by the federal government when someone exhausts their regular state UI claim between March 29, 2020 and the end of 2020. This too also requires an extensive effort to implement these new extended benefits.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:43 PM

So that's the part that has me confused as well.

If you exhausted regular 26-week before March 29th, 2020, you're not eligible for 13-week extension?

https://www.dol.gov/coronavirus/unemployment-insurance
Quote:
I am about to exhaust my regular unemployment compensation benefits. What kinds of relief does the CARES Act provide for me?

Under the CARES Act states are permitted to extend unemployment benefits by up to 13 weeks under the new Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) program. PEUC benefits are available for weeks of unemployment beginning after your state implements the new program and ending with weeks of unemployment ending on or before December 31, 2020. The program covers most individuals who have exhausted all rights to regular unemployment compensation under state or federal law and who are able to work, available for work, and actively seeking work as defined by state law. Importantly, the CARES Act gives states flexibility in determining whether you are “actively seeking work” if you are unable to search for work because of COVID-19, including because of illness, quarantine, or movement restrictions.

Old 04-09-2020, 04:37 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,217,088 times
I'm thoroughly confused now. My claim ended on April 4th and was exhausted.

I thought anyone who had an active claim (but exhausted benefits) when the bill was approved would get the 13-week extension.

The extension ends Dec 31, which would cover people who filed new claims now. They get 26 weeks plus 13. The $600 extra is only for 4 months (or 13 weeks for people with exhausted claims). It ends in July.

They are backpaying the $600 only to the date that the bill was approved.

Old 04-09-2020, 04:40 PM

I'm getting nervous that I missed it by a day since April 5th seems to be a date that's mentioned a lot.

Old 04-09-2020, 04:42 PM

You and me both, Scal. Did you end up re-filing via fax or just sent them a letter asking for extension? Wondering what to do in our predicament.

Old 04-09-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliedd View Post
You and me both, Scal. Did you end up re-filing via fax or just sent them a letter asking for extension? Wondering what to do in our predicament.
Update since I posted here, I got email today! I just posted about it. It was just for an address change but I'm very hopeful that at least some work is being done on my account.

To answer your question, all of the above. I sent the fax the day before my claim closed about an extension, and then once my claim ended, filed a new claim (which will be declined since I don't have a "new separation" but I was hoping to just trigger a look into my account.)

I think the address thing might be automated but I am still excited to FINALLY hear from them in any form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment