Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2009, 02:56 PM

10,188 posts, read 14,636,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella52 View Post
I almost forgot Hell's Kitchen 5th season starts tomorrow on Fox @9 I've already set my DVR
oh man, I missed it. How was it?? I'll have to set the DVR next wk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 02:56 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,694,230 times
I'm mad! I forgot to set it, and for some reason, I can't find the new season on the DVR menu. I can't live without hearing Gordon calling people donkeys and all!

Old 01-30-2009, 04:35 PM

16,180 posts, read 32,640,807 times
Thank goodness we all agree!

Canes, the cute one you like is Carol Scott and she is from here in Knoxville. She is currently a chef at a local restaurant.

Lacey, the buffet cook that quit, went smoking and pronounced at the beginning of the show that she is pretty (whuh?!?!) is a big trainwreck. Hello, my 17 year old son who doesn't cook could out chef her sorry butt.

Colleen thinking sugar is salt...... HUH? How does that happen?

Seth did do a better Forrest Gump impression than cooking.

I just think of all of the truly qualified chefs that we would all enjoy watching that we could learn something from and then they get these dufus folks on there just for ratings and so GR has someone to kick around? Ay ya ya.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:13 AM

2,689 posts, read 6,953,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post

Lacey, the buffet cook that quit, went smoking and pronounced at the beginning of the show that she is pretty (whuh?!?!) is a big trainwreck. Hello, my 17 year old son who doesn't cook could out chef her sorry butt.
OMG... I'm already SO sick of her! I was screaming what a donkey she was at the TV! LOL... jumped the gun on Gordon on that one!

No offense to any donkeys meant!

Old 01-31-2009, 07:08 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,153,297 times
I agree with you guys. That Lacey girl is a joke. Major attitude, no talent and she's certainly no Miss America. That Colleen lady who is a culinary instructor ... give me a break! My initial thoughts are that I like Ji (I think that's her name), the one whose family has an Asian catering business. I too am not fond of all the smoking. Haven't these people heard that smoking causes cancer???

Old 01-31-2009, 08:33 PM

16,180 posts, read 32,640,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I agree with you guys. That Lacey girl is a joke. Major attitude, no talent and she's certainly no Miss America. That Colleen lady who is a culinary instructor ... give me a break! My initial thoughts are that I like Ji (I think that's her name), the one whose family has an Asian catering business. I too am not fond of all the smoking. Haven't these people heard that smoking causes cancer???
I don't mean to go off topic or hijack a thread but since it has been mentioned AND shown on the show......... what is up with chefs and cooks smoking? I thought that taste buds were affected by cigarette smoking? (perhaps I am wrong?) I would think that they would not want the cigarette taste in their mouth so that they could taste the food as a non smoker would. Not trying to be a smart-a or start something. I truly don't get it.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:34 PM

103 posts, read 504,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I don't mean to go off topic or hijack a thread but since it has been mentioned AND shown on the show......... what is up with chefs and cooks smoking? I thought that taste buds were affected by cigarette smoking? (perhaps I am wrong?) I would think that they would not want the cigarette taste in their mouth so that they could taste the food as a non smoker would. Not trying to be a smart-a or start something. I truly don't get it.
Yeah, the smoking thing does seem to be pervasive in the chef world...it's not just on Hell's Kitchen but you notice it a lot on all the seasons of Top Chef as well.

I'm sure filming someone watching their hands doesn't make for very good tv...but I'd sure like to see some mention of that before they go from taking a smoke break to immediately back in action in the kitchen.

But then again, what do I care. I don't have to eat the food.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:03 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,262,748 times
OK you enablers I see some of you that are on our Top Chef thread I will give HK's a whirl. From checking it out in the past I can't stand Chef Gordon's belittling to the point of verbal abuse. But I do like Top Chef so here goes...........

Smoking does alter your taste buds not to mention the smell remains on your hands no matter how well you wash them.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:52 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,020,368 times
Liking it so far. Sorry to see the first elimination, though. Even in one short episode, he managed to display a bit of class and integrity, much more than some of his fellow competitors.

I'm willing to bet "Pretty Girl" Lacey (man, I bet she's going to regret having uttered that phrase) will stick around until the last 3-4 contestants. These types of shows love to have disagreeable folks like her stick around for a bit to add drama. Remember Jen from last year? /shudder

Cooking School Colleen has a few questions to answer, too. As does self-proclaimed ladies man Danny, who supposedly doesn't care what people think of him (according to his bio). What a relief.

I'm with you all on the smoking bit, too. I noticed it last year and thought perhaps it was just that particular bunch. Now I see it's not. How sad.

Anyway, here's to a fun season! Bon appetit!

Old 02-01-2009, 04:02 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,153,297 times
I just hope that when I'm out having sushi somewhere, the chef's not smoking and preparing my sushi!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV