Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 08:29 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Since I mentioned the mud turtles,,,, I was responding to a (very nice) poster who said (basically) that having allll those kids was ok as they had them "naturally" without the use of fertility drugs.
I mentioned even mud turtles can create naturally, that its not a supreme feat in life and not so unique.So why is having them naturally without fertility drugs so special.
I most certainly did not say the Duggars were Mud turtles.

I am having trouble seeing any "vitriol" but different opinions on a controversial subject.
Jealous???!!
Jealous of 19 births, 19 kids needing mom and dads time, Jim Bob ??!! uuuuuh nooo thanks.
Actually, what I was saying was that having 19 kids without the use of fertility drugs is remarkable, and when people do remarkable things, other people are often interested. Having 19 kids is remarkable, raising 19 kids is remarkable, raising 19 kids within the strictures of their faith is remarkable. Many people are curious, and it's that curiosity that is pandered to.

I don't agree with the Duggar's religious beliefs, and like many women, the idea of having 19 kids is shudder-worthy. I do respect that they are open to letting people, the majority of whom will not agree with their religious beliefs or philosophies, have glimpses into their lifestyle. The Duggars didn't seek out a television show, they had committed to this life before television took an interest in them, and they weren't naive to the fact that they would attract criticism and vitriol. I'm sure they are well-compensated, but I think that they have behaved with dignity despite the criticism.

There is vitriol in many of the posts against them. Asserting that there might be exploitation of the children is a legitimate concern. But comments about Michelle Duggar's vagina are personal and insulting. Comments about them being a circus, insulting and certainly not substantiated in any way by what is depicted on their television program. Comments about "litters" of children, insulting and inaccurate. There is a theme among some of the posters, that because they have chosen a lifestyle that is more akin to the lifestyle of people's grandparents or great-grandparents, that is not the normal lifestyle of today, that it is okay to insult this family. To even make up things about the family and use false information to condemn them.

I don't agree with their religious beliefs. I would never take up this kind of lifestyle. But I don't have any need to insult or condemn people who don't share my beliefs and values. I can respect other people and applaud their achievements even when they are very different from me. The exercise of freedom, any kind of freedom, in a society demands that we respect people and accept that people are not going to share our beliefs, customs, and values uniformly. The condemnation of the Duggars isn't about jealousy, it's about fear. Humans fear the unfamiliar. Humans fear those who don't conform to accepted norms, and the insults, the condemnation, are a societal mechanism to create pressure on people to conform to those accepted norms. Not only do we not agree with the Duggar's choices, we want to make it clear to anyone tempted to follow those choices, that they, too will be insulted and condemned. That's the point of gossip, the point of shunning, the point of the Scarlet Letter. It's not about the Duggar's, it's about demanding that members of our society conform to what the society has defined as normal. Reality shows are just a technical upgrade on gossip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 09:31 AM

437 posts, read 1,071,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Actually, what I was saying was that hagossipving 19 kids without the use of fertility drugs is remarkablea .

You know, it's really not. Having kids is quite natural and although they have a few sets of twins, they don't have big multiple broods like the Gosselins. Sex equals babies and apparently they have a lot of both.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:40 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,629,505 times
Quote:

There is vitriol in many of the posts against them. Asserting that there might be exploitation of the children is a legitimate concern. But comments about Michelle Duggar's vagina are personal and insulting. Comments about them being a circus, insulting and certainly not substantiated in any way by what is depicted on their television program. Comments about "litters" of children, insulting and inaccurate. There is a theme among some of the posters, that because they have chosen a lifestyle that is more akin to the lifestyle of people's grandparents or great-grandparents, that is not the normal lifestyle of today, that it is okay to insult this family. To even make up things about the family and use false information to condemn them.

I don't agree with their religious beliefs. I would never take up this kind of lifestyle. But I don't have any need to insult or condemn people who don't share my beliefs and values. I can respect other people and applaud their achievements even when they are very different from me. The exercise of freedom, any kind of freedom, in a society demands that we respect people and accept that people are not going to share our beliefs, customs, and values uniformly.
Thank you for syaing this so well. Their choices may not be mine, but it is their choice.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:48 AM

10,209 posts, read 17,862,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetownmom View Post
You know, it's really not. Having kids is quite natural and although they have a few sets of twins, they don't have big multiple broods like the Gosselins. Sex equals babies and apparently they have a lot of both.
19 is still a lot. I've researched my family tree dating back long before any modern or reliable methods of birth control were available and there's no families of 19 kids or even close to that. Lots of families of 7-10 but no more than 11. So 19 is still fairly note worthy even if you don't believe in birth control.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Having 19 kids is remarkable. Unless you know bunches of families with nineteen kids???? All "remarkable" means is that it is unusual enough to merit remarking upon. If you heard a woman in the grocery store say she had 19 kids, you'd probably turn to take a look at her, because 19 is a "remarkable" number of children to give birth to, and to raise.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:37 AM

437 posts, read 1,071,463 times
Quote:
Having 19 kids is remarkable. Unless you know bunches of families with nineteen kids???? All "remarkable" means is that it is unusual enough to merit remarking upon. If you heard a woman in the grocery store say she had 19 kids, you'd probably turn to take a look at her, because 19 is a "remarkable" number of children to give birth to, and to raise.
No, I actually don't find it all that remarkable. I have known many large families myself. It's pretty common among some of the fundamental type CHristians in the Ozarks so the Duggars are not as rare as many might think. I am also Catholic and we have a tradition of large families. I work in the local school district and yep, there are familes with many kids that equal or rival the Duggars in size. I know one father who has said for years he will keep having kids as long as the Lord sends them.

I wouldn't give a woman with 19 kids in the supermarket a second look either - I tend to MYOB.

I also come from a history of large families, nothing new or exciting about that.

Birthing them is the easy part - raising them is easy too since the Duggars, in the tradition of large families from the dawn of time, have the older kids care for the younger kids.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:55 AM

10,209 posts, read 17,862,571 times
Quote:
No, I actually don't find it all that remarkable. I have known many large families myself.
I have known some large families too - but none more than 12 kids. Do you know many families with more than say, 15 kids? If not, I think you're stretching it a bit to saying that simply because you know many "large families", that it's the same as a family with as many as 19 kids. Are large families common, especially among certain religions and in certain areas? Yes! I'm not disagreeing with you there. But I find it hard to believe you know several families of as many as 19 kids! If you do, I'd be really interested in knowing their background as well.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I have known some large families too - but none more than 12 kids. Do you know many families with more than say, 15 kids? If not, I think you're stretching it a bit to saying that simply because you know many "large families", that it's the same as a family with as many as 19 kids. Are large families common, especially among certain religions and in certain areas? Yes! I'm not disagreeing with you there. But I find it hard to believe you know several families of as many as 19 kids! If you do, I'd be really interested in knowing their background as well.

Google America's largest family, and the Duggars will come up over and over and over again. That makes them remarkable. It's the same as the world's tallest man. You can say you know many tall people, or many people who are over seven-feet tall. It doesn't take away that there is one person who holds the record, and holding a record is something that many of us find "remarkable".

Old 10-13-2009, 12:18 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,889,092 times
Wow look what I started!

I'm surprised no one is discussing both sides of the tatertot casserole issue.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:57 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,942 times
Quote:
and like many women, the idea of having 19 kids is shudder-worthy.
Hot dog. Hallway. 'Nough said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV