Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:04 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times

Advertisements

I have to admit it, I love the friggin' Duggars! I generally hate reality TV shows, but "18 Kids & Counting" is one of my guilty pleasures. I'm riveted.

So here's my top-ten list on why I love the Duggars.

10. They set a great example to us all by living completely debt-free (they did this long before making any money from a TV show)
9. Even though they seem a little freaky to most of us, and most of us would consider their lives boring, they are truly happy people, so they must have something right.
8. They are an excellent infomercial for the benefits of homeschooling
7. The kids are well behaved, there are no tantrums or drama, and they all do chores from the time they can walk.
6. They are breeding more conservative voters for the next generation!
5. They are extremely religious but the show never gets preachy about religion
4. They clearly have not allowed their fame to change them or their values (unlike some other reality TV families)
3. From the time the kids turn 18 they are expected to be self-supporting; no sponging off mom & dad!
2. Two words: Tatertot Casserole
1. They still love Cousin Amy, even though they’re pretty sure she’s damned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 08:13 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,675,894 times
You know I am a little jaded to most reality TV. Nothing in particular to this family, I just wonder about the long term for any family in this fishbowl.
Remember Matt Rolloff had a DUI. Not much was made of it. A quick look at the trial, them poof. This J?K +8, sad.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:14 PM

993 posts, read 2,291,493 times
I like them too. Even though I don't agree with some of their religious beleifs, they don't try to shove their religion down your throat. Jim Bob and Michelle truly love each other and their kids, and it shows in they way they treat each other. I'm hooked too!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:24 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,899,490 times
I, too, love the Duggars!!! I am waiting for one of them to go "wild". I am betting it will be Jana or Jinger.

And I was thinking the same thing about cousin Amy. LOL

Old 10-07-2009, 09:07 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,189,487 times
I am puzzled why anyone would watch a television show about this strange "family" where a man with an over-active penis, repeatedly impregnates his personal receptacle, excuse me, his "wife", who is forced to bear child after child after child. This is perverse

Old 10-07-2009, 09:12 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,899,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
I am puzzled why anyone would watch a television show about this strange "family" where a man with an over-active penis, repeatedly impregnates his personal receptacle, excuse me, his "wife", who is forced to bear child after child after child. This is perverse
I suppose a show with people having promiscuous sex is better?

People like the Duggars because they are breath of fresh air compared to the scum bags that normally light up our tv screens.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:14 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
I find them interesting but ODD.

I watched the episode in which they had their "wedding" and I was just AMAZED at how Michelle didn't even question where the kids were. It seems that the older kids each have a younger kid that they watch over and they don't ever question that. Michelle was busy decorating for the wedding and getting dressed and yet, she didn't even ASK where the baby was. How can one woman be so CALM???

Vicki

Old 10-07-2009, 09:29 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Great post, tracysam! I love the Duggers too...for all the reasons you posted.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:32 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I find them interesting but ODD.

I watched the episode in which they had their "wedding" and I was just AMAZED at how Michelle didn't even question where the kids were. It seems that the older kids each have a younger kid that they watch over and they don't ever question that. Michelle was busy decorating for the wedding and getting dressed and yet, she didn't even ASK where the baby was. How can one woman be so CALM???

Vicki
Thats one of the main issues I have with their choice to have so many kids. They have heavy expectations of the older children to look after the younger ones in order to lift the burden off themselves. I understand it's probably necessary when you have that many kids... but it's one of the reasons I don't agree with their choice to have so many children. Children should be able to be children but the older ones had to grow up REAL fast and act like secondary parents to the younger ones. No child should be expected to do that, no matter how happy they may seem on TV.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:38 AM

750 posts, read 1,434,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
People like the Duggars because they are breath of fresh air compared to the scum bags that normally light up our tv screens.
This made me chuckle. How is pimping out your own children in order to make lots of TV cash not being a scumbag?

Sorry. To me, pimping is pimping. These kids had no say in what their parents decided to sign them up for. They're captives who have to perform in a freak show for the TV cameras.

I have a feeling it will stop only when Michelle's uterus falls out and lays there on the floor, quivvering and and spasming, after squeezing out Duggar number 30, named Jehosaphat. I may be wrong on the name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV