Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 01:01 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,349,678 times

Advertisements

got to love that a guy name JIM BOB has 19 kids it made LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 04:07 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,253,111 times
I really don't watch the show on a regular basis.....but there is a whole lot to be said for people who have raised this many kids and they are all respectful. I'm impressed.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:44 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,706,974 times
I like the show! I like the way they are so not mean which is refreshing and nice to see. I get sick of the housewives being so mean to everybody and picking on anybody who they think is different and all that drinking

Old 10-11-2009, 07:59 AM

750 posts, read 1,435,646 times
Hmmm. Mackynzie? Jess 5 is right. So many possibilities. Maarriye? Maddyllynne? Marrck? Maysonn? Maddissynne? M'Ickey? Mellanyie? Moortimyure?

Old 10-11-2009, 08:18 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,229,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I have to admit it, I love the friggin' Duggars! I generally hate reality TV shows, but "18 Kids & Counting" is one of my guilty pleasures. I'm riveted.

So here's my top-ten list on why I love the Duggars.

10. They set a great example to us all by living completely debt-free (they did this long before making any money from a TV show)
9. Even though they seem a little freaky to most of us, and most of us would consider their lives boring, they are truly happy people, so they must have something right.
8. They are an excellent infomercial for the benefits of homeschooling
7. The kids are well behaved, there are no tantrums or drama, and they all do chores from the time they can walk.
6. They are breeding more conservative voters for the next generation!
5. They are extremely religious but the show never gets preachy about religion
4. They clearly have not allowed their fame to change them or their values (unlike some other reality TV families)
3. From the time the kids turn 18 they are expected to be self-supporting; no sponging off mom & dad!
2. Two words: Tatertot Casserole
1. They still love Cousin Amy, even though they’re pretty sure she’s damned.
The first time I saw this show, I made some big generalizations BC of their extreme religious beliefs. But the more I watched it, the more I came to love the show, too, for many of the reasons you have posted.

My number one reason would be how much the parents seem to love and respect one another. They act as though they are still dating.

They are wonderful parents and their kids seem so well adjusted. In a recent show (may have been a repeat), Amy said that she had never heard the mom raise her voice.

They just seemed too good to be true, but it appears that they are the real thing. It's like watching a real life fairy tale.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:42 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,555,307 times
They are all expected to be "self-supporting" by the age of 18? I assume that means they will be paying for their own college education - if they want to go. Most private colleges and Universities now are running around $40K to $45K and you would be very lucky to attend a state University for $12K. I sure hope they each have a very large savings account.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:58 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,754,921 times
I do not think they are supposed to be self supporting at 18. The older daughters are over 18. I think what they said is that when Josh got married he was on his own. I think the reason his pregnant wife was on all those shows is so he could get money from the show too.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:05 AM

10,215 posts, read 17,906,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
They are all expected to be "self-supporting" by the age of 18? I assume that means they will be paying for their own college education - if they want to go. Most private colleges and Universities now are running around $40K to $45K and you would be very lucky to attend a state University for $12K. I sure hope they each have a very large savings account.
Plenty of people put themselves through college.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:15 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,487,925 times
I tend to agree with the OP. Not a lifestyle I would choose for myself but it seems to work out well for them. I haven't seen anything that seems cause for worry....the kids seem happy and well adjusted. I haven't heard anything about any of those kids escaping and claiming abuse (a la FDLS). I don't think having the older kids helping out with the younger kids is "abuse" - it is a normal thing for them and most likely for any large family. What is wrong with having some responsibility? When they get married and make plans for a family, at least they know exactly what they're in for...They seem to have a strong faith which again, works for them. I don't see them condemning anyone else or asking for government support so who cares.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:22 AM

10,215 posts, read 17,906,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I tend to agree with the OP. Not a lifestyle I would choose for myself but it seems to work out well for them. I haven't seen anything that seems cause for worry....the kids seem happy and well adjusted. I haven't heard anything about any of those kids escaping and claiming abuse (a la FDLS). I don't think having the older kids helping out with the younger kids is "abuse" - it is a normal thing for them and most likely for any large family. What is wrong with having some responsibility? When they get married and make plans for a family, at least they know exactly what they're in for...They seem to have a strong faith which again, works for them. I don't see them condemning anyone else or asking for government support so who cares.
I personally never said it was abuse... just that I think it's unfair to expect of a child. I'm not saying social services should be sent in or anything - just that there are reasons why I don't agree with the choice to have such a big family.

It probably is normal for them - doesn't mean they wouldn't have been happier with a smaller family. They may appear happy and maybe they are... but we can't really know that. My childhood best friend was one of seven and she appeared happy on the outside but being her best friend, I saw a deep angst in her which often centered around being a child of a big family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV