Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 11:07 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,492,698 times

Advertisements

[quote=ajzjmsmom;8346105]

Quote:
For me tonight it was Allison and Kris, absolutely loved them both. Allison did a fantastic job with her song, doesn't hurt that is probably one of my favorite songs. I really liked Kris' song despite the fact that "dawg" didn't. That is another thing I am tired of the judges, Paula forgets what she is saying and then when she does talk she doesn't make sense,
I really liked Allison and Kris also. That is absolutely one of my favorite songs too, such a love song! I was not familiar with the song Kris song, but I thought he did an exceptional job. Paula totally didn't make any sense when she was commenting on Lil...I am like what? Who cares what the dawg Randy says right? Every time I think someone does well, he doesn't, so I usually don't think much about his opinion.

[quote=nuala;8345324]

Quote:
People moved out of what I thought and expected, maybe. Just my perception. I don't know if it's good or bad. Just different. I need to sit on it. Missed Allison's performance, too.
Yeah I was disappointed with some of them. I don't think Danny did that well. Matt has gotten worse, and Lil....well that was just painful to watch. She used to be so good and she has gotten worse it seems. I think she will be the one to go this week.

Quote:
was driving home for 2 hours and it was rush-rush-rush.... hands shaking turning the TV on... I guess I wasn't tuned in or something... Never mind me.
Nuala....I didn't get home until 11pm.....dang tax season. I think I wasn't into the show either...can't get numbers and people complaining at work out of my mind

[quote=HawaiiLover;8346774]

Quote:
It definitely was the Adam show tonight. What a showman he is!
It was the Adam show for sure. He is excellent on the stage.

I will say, I enjoyed his performance last week better, but this did show the rocker side of him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 11:11 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,492,698 times
Can Randy please stop saying "Ah dawg FOR ME, for you .....The FOR ME phrase is driving me nuts....or maybe I am just in a bad mood tonight. I had to watch Idol at 11pm....not the norm for me. Thank goodness for dvr, but just too tired to watch it that late

Old 04-15-2009, 12:43 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,264,124 times
The song Falling Slowly from Once won the Oscar this year for best song. The movie's running "on demand" now. I'll have to watch. My favorites tonight Adam followed by Allison, Kris and Anoop. I'm really starting to like Anoop.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:06 AM

247 posts, read 688,636 times
Overall I found many of the performances on the boring side tonight. I'm one of the ones in the minority who doesn't care for Adam. I totally recognize and accept that people find him charismatic and he is definitely ready to be a frontman/show performer, I get that. I just don't care for his whole persona...and the screaming thing has become a little cliche already for me. But again, just my opinion. I can see him winning the whole thing. I do agree with everyone that Lil should be out this week, until she promises that if she's kept around she'll do better next week. If she is voted off, I doubt they'd use the save on her.

Loved Allison although it wasn't her best, and I did think Anoop delivered well. Always been in the Danny camp but he was boring this week. I think the bottom three should be Matt, Kris, and Lil, with Lil leaving.

Even with only two judges commenting they still ran over a few minutes this week. And that was with one fewer performers. Seems like by now they should have the timing figured out.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:22 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,656,386 times
I really like adam! I think that over the course of the show he has shown a great deal of versatility. not pigeon-holed whatsoever. Allyson was good too. my surprise of the night was Anoop! I thought he nailed that song. his voice was perfect. he is a mellow guy and really delivered. I think Kris has really come into his own. It is time for Lil to pack up and go home. She totally ruined "the rose".

Old 04-15-2009, 07:43 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,461,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
Actually - my REAL problem with Anoop is his penchant for sweater vests. I find that fundamentally offensive and therefore can't, in good conscience, vote for anyone who repeatedly wears sweater vests. Ick.
That's it! The sweater vests! I was wondering why he can't get past all that critisicm though he is capable.... He consistently looks like a Silicone Valley IT programmer, fresh our of his cubicle... You can't be believable rocker or pop singer in sweaters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpascal View Post
Overall ...and the screaming thing has become a little cliche already for me. But again, just my opinion. I can see him winning the whole thing.
Maybe it's getting a bit cliche

However, in his interview on AI website he said he had to watch his mouth, it's too big - so he knows

Old 04-15-2009, 07:57 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,195,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpascal View Post
Overall I found many of the performances on the boring side tonight. I'm one of the ones in the minority who doesn't care for Adam. I totally recognize and accept that people find him charismatic and he is definitely ready to be a frontman/show performer, I get that. I just don't care for his whole persona...and the screaming thing has become a little cliche already for me. But again, just my opinion. I can see him winning the whole thing.
Agreed. Adam's niche is playing the 21st century Elvis persona - he's got the charisma and the intrigue, but the sex appeal is really a curve ball in today's society. Mainstream America isn't there yet.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:37 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,353,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Can Randy please stop saying "Ah dawg FOR ME, for you .....The FOR ME phrase is driving me nuts....or maybe I am just in a bad mood tonight. I had to watch Idol at 11pm....not the norm for me. Thank goodness for dvr, but just too tired to watch it that late
We can do away with Randy altogether...he brings nothing to the show. At least Paula is entertaining because she's so wacko and you don't know what's going to happen with her.

Last night was one of the worst nights of the year for most of the contestants.

Allison Iraheta "Don't Want To Miss a Thing," from Armageddon
I am so over this song...why do teenage girls always sing it? Allison is very talented, but the beginning is ROUGH and I have trouble sitting through it, but it gets better as it goes on. Otherwise, it's a mediocre performance, and not one that is memorable. She's in the BOTTOM 3. (SAFE)

Anoop Desai "(Everything I do) I do it For You," from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
For some reason, I could totally see Anoop being obsessed with this movie. Again, he does really well on a slow song. The guy does ballads really well. I bet he will end up being the biggest star from this year's group because of his international appeal and the fact that out of the 1,000,000,000 people in India, he's bound to have some fans! I thought this was the best performance of the night (with the possible exception of Kris) and Anoop keeps fighting. SAFE

Adam Lambert "Born To Be Wild," from Easy Rider
I LOVE the Film "Easy Rider", one of my all-time favorites, but this is not the song I think of when I think of that great film. I think of "The Weight" by The Band and I think Adam could have actually done a really good version of that song if he was subdued and didn't go all falsetto on us. But he chose a song that has a bunch of yelling and screaming and jumped around the stage in those stupid pants and made me feel like my ear drums were going to burst. Why does he feel the need to scream and yell on every song? SAFE

Matt Giraud "Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman," from Don Juan DeMarco
I thought he'd kill this, but his voice seemed to be messed up, like he's losing it or something. Because of that, his pitch wasn't as good as before, and the song itself suffered a lot because it's not that exciting without a strong vocal. I was glad to see him back at the Grand Piano, and his piano skills are just gorgeous, but this was not a good performance from him. BOTTOM 3. (SAFE)
PS. What's up with putting both Bryan Adams songs so close like that?

Danny Gokey "Endless Love," from Endless Love
Anyone who still likes him after this painful performance really should get their ears checked. How can anyone like this terrible singer? His voice is always off-key and his only good notes are the power ones. Somehow, this is the most popular performance this week, I just don't get it.
All I could think about during this horrendous time was that scene from "Happy Gilmore" where Happy is on the date and the Zamboni driver is lip-synching to it...SAFE

Kris Allen "Falling Slowly," from Once
After this performance, I can't imagine he's going to be anywhere but the bottom 2. Not that it wasn't good, but he had the moronic Randy doing his commenting (saying it was "pitchy" even though he's the most on-key of any of the performers) and it was not an exciting song. He's incredibly talented and I hope the judges will save him (though Randy wont), but I feel like this is the end of the road for one of the few good singers on the show this year. I thought it was a great performance, but I'm much more critical and I notice the little things that make a song difficult to sing well. GONE (but maybe saved)

Lil Rounds "The Rose," from The Rose
She sucks. She's the one who deserves to go, and if anyone doesn't hear that, they have hearing problems. As much as I can't stand Gokey or Lambert, Rounds is simply horrible. How on Earth do people find her singing to be anything but bad? This performance was weird, the only part where she sounded okay was when she did her little R&B/Gospel power thing, the rest was awful as usual. SAFE

If it's not clear to anyone by now, there's really no point to listening to Randy's comments at all. He makes his decision whether or not he likes someone (with no real reasoning behind it) and then makes comments the rest of the season based on who he likes. When a singer he doesn't like has a great performance, he gives the backwards compliment of "That was actually kinda good"...but when the performance is not a "100% you have to like this" kind of performance, he'll make up things to make it sound like it was worse than it was: "that was pitchy"...sorry man, you have no clue what pitchy is, learn what is sharp and what is flat before you make those comments.

Last edited by Pug Life; 04-15-2009 at 09:56 AM..

Old 04-15-2009, 10:19 AM

18,054 posts, read 27,507,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lady123 View Post
Tonight it was Adam and Allison who did well. Anoop wasn't bad but he doesn't have the X factor. Lil needs to go home, sorry all you Lil fans but she wasn't very good.
I really don't think there are that many Lil fans and I agree she did lousy last night. If she's gonna do R&B or whatever, she needs to do it from start to finish. I kept thinking she would step it up, now time has run out. Which leads me to Danny...

I don't think Danny Boy did any better than Lil either, but look how the judges still found a way to slobber on him and kick Lil to the curb.

Oh... poor Danny! He was thinking of his wife (God rest her soul), but come on, Simon! He missed a word and that note gave me an earache. That was horrible!

Danny should be in the bottom three with Lil going home.

Adam was Adam. He, there again, has great stage presence and performance, but he really...

...glamoured up that rock song! Even my wife was saying... as she was feeding me a good dinner!( inside joke. Has nothing to do with being chauvanist. She bribes me to watch this pathetic reality show with dinner)... well she was saying that she would never buy this music or listen to it. It's too screaming falsetto. He should do Rock Operas like Rocky Horror.

Kris is back. He's brilliant. He's better than Allison. He'll rise above in the end and challenge Adam Ant... or maybe Allison.

Either Lil or Danny could go home tonight. Unless they come out belting their tunes from the start to the finish, their actual singing voice is shakey. Anoop and Matt are fighting for the 4th spot.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:20 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,127,900 times
Unfortunately Vote For The Worse is touting Lil this week so she's probably safe. Blah!

You know, there are a lot of characteristic that make up a star performer - charisma, talent, style, etc. For me, Kris just doesn't have it. It's just been the last two weeks that I've even remembered who he was. It could be that he got so little press, but it could also be that he's just a normal guy with a good voice. I have no problem with his singing, I just rarely notice him. I think either he or Matt will be voted off tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV