Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2008, 05:44 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,188 times

Advertisements

It seems like this year is full of pro talent....

An excerpt from:
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/tha...s-idol-threats

"Among the suspicious singers in the Idol season 7 running are Carly Smithson, who was once signed to MCA Records under the name Carly Hennessy; Michael Johns, who used to front the major-label rock band the Rising under the name Michael Lee; onetime Star Search winner David Archuleta; former Boys N Girlz United boyband singer (and Britney Spears's ex-boyfriend!) Robbie Carrico; Cheyenne cast member Jason Castro; Making The Band also-ran Jason Yeager; former Arista Nashville signing Kristy Lee Cook; and Mo'Nique's Fat Chance plus-size beauty pageant winner Joanne Borgella. Poor Josiah and Kyle never had a chance, fat or otherwise, against these pros!"

Should they kick the pro contestants out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 09:24 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
It's a tough call. In some cases, I don't think it's a problem - I don't think winning a beauty pagent like Joanne Borgella is too big of a deal. But why allow people like Carly to compete, if they've already had a contract with a major label? That's not exactly undiscovered talent.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:40 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
I'm okay with it as long as they have no current record deal.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:07 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Drop off the face of the earth for all I care, that's what it should do.

Big Mu$ic is a bunch of thieves riding the coattails of recording artists all the way to the bank, and now we have American Idol substituting for the pop hucksters who put together and gave us the Backstreet Boys and New Kids On The Block.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:33 AM

667 posts, read 2,300,217 times
Hummm...I'm not sure I agree that a couple of these contestants should have gotten the spot on American Idol.
I've always thought of A.I. as being "raw & undiscovered" talent, but now I feel mislead.
As far as people who have had labels before, no I do not think that they should be on the show.
Now for the chick that won a pageant, that's OK. She hasn't made money selling her music/voice.
This definately makes me rethink American Idol.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:37 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,914 times
Well gollllleeeeee;

It's FOX! You couldn't really have expected anything they do to be on the up and up, did you?

The only honest shows that FAUX shows are "American Dad", "Family Guy" and "The Simpsons". And I'm starting to have my doubts about "Family Guy".

golfgod

Old 02-19-2008, 11:43 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collected_eve View Post
Hummm...I'm not sure I agree that a couple of these contestants should have gotten the spot on American Idol.
I've always thought of A.I. as being "raw & undiscovered" talent, but now I feel mislead.
It's a popularity contest first, a freakshow second and a talent show a very distant third.

Remember, this is the entity responsible for William Hung.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:33 AM

667 posts, read 2,300,217 times
Well, I'm ok with it now.
After watching them once again & Robbie Carrico put it out there before giving anyone time to start on him about it, which I liked.

I have a new mindset about this situation & I'm ok with it.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:11 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
American Idol should have me on there. I will sing Cuyahoga by REM and Striped WHite Jets by Guided By Voices. Simon and comapny will stare into space not knowing what to say. But the hipsters of America will ove it and I will be signed to Interscope records.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:24 PM

60 posts, read 163,163 times
As long as they dont have a recording contract that is current I don't see whats wrong with having them in the competition, everyone has to start somewhere and they have as much right to be there as the amateurs. It would suck if this competition was based solely on amateurs just trying it for fun...does anyone remember the FAIL of Taylor Hicks? Fantasia? Diana Degarmo? William Hung? Thats what happens when you let amateurs take over AI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV