Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 12:35 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,223,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
American Idol IS a singing competition, but now that MTV is here and we can actually SEE what people look like who we hear on the radio, image plays a large part too. There are likely some singers who would not have gone far because their voices are mediocre at best but they're gorgeous.

Remember Milli Vanilli?

I didn't even remember Carly having tattooes, but now that I think back, she did. Her husband's were a shocker. While I have not and never will have a tattoo, it's one thing to have one on your arm or ankle. It's another to tattoo your face. I remember Carly saying that people are scared of him but he's a really nice guy. Oh well, I guess that's the look he was going for and his friends probably think it's cool. I think of how different my tastes are from the time I was 18 to now. Had I put a tattoo on my body as a teenager, I would have had something stupid like Duran Duran or Madonna (from the Like a Virgin days). Thank heavens for my inner voice.

As far as confidence or insecurity, smirking or humbleness, well..."tow-may-tow, tow-mah-tow". No one knows him personally here on this thread, so we see what we want to see.
My son is 27 now. His first tattoo, when he was 18, just had NFG in small letters on his upper arm. It stood for his favorite band at the time, New Found Glory. Now he wants to figure out something to cover it up! Just goes to show that our "favorites" don't always remain that way over time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 01:31 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,389,880 times
Default Ok - so I have some questions

The mind wanders at midnight and I'm just wondering. OK - I'll admit, I only check in here. I don't read all the 80 bejillion other blogs about AI... so:

1) Do all these people get paid to be here in this contest? I mean the whole top 36? All of them are taking a lot of time off work and I'm just sayin...

2) if they do get paid, how much do you think it is?

3) Do all the finalists have a contract with the show so that all their performances may be used by the AI franchise forever and a day? And do contestants get royalties when the tunes are sold on ITunes?

4) What about the families? The kids? How do they afford to fly in for each of these performances? They always show them on TV. Do they all just move to wherever the heck this is filmed and live there for 3 months along with the contestants? It looks like the contestants are housed in a nice mansion.

5) Do you spose Simon Cowell gets a chance to manage the - shall we call them - "Non-winners"? He's not just a judge, he has a lot of irons in the fire with his own management company. (Although I read he gets $26 million for each season of AI, and that doesn't count the other shows like Britain's got Talent...)

6) Or do you spose Simon Fuller still manages the careers of some of the ones who don't win? They might not get all the goodies, but I would think he might want to help them find agents or whatever to capitalize on the AI franchise.

7) And, the real burning question, I didn't get to see the show Wednesday, so I missed the duet with Allison and Adam -- anybody know where that video lives? Can't find it on YouTube OR on AI.com!

I'm also wondering, did they put those two together because that's who they are leaning towards for the final 2?

Well, thanks for indulging me...

Old 04-12-2009, 01:55 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,459,433 times
LOL a mind does wonder at midnight ! Or at 4am like it's here - doing taxes...

My guess is the show houses the contestants in the hotel and takes care about every their need. Some of the family is obviously living there, too - like parents of under-age contestants. I would go further and assume that the contestants are allowed to invite anyone in the world to stay there since it's a given each contestant needs to show the "family and friends" close-up. Flying in and staying are paid for.

Whether they pay them on top of taking care of their every need, I don't know. The contestants are tickled to make it that far, so...

The voted-off singers are sitting in the audience, too - so they must keep living there, unless they want to go home.

Their employment places at home must be tickled, too, to be associated with AI and get some advertising - so I dont' think they should be hard on people taking time off...

Both Simons may choose to approach anyone voted off if their fancy strikes so. They really must like someone though to do that, - Kelly Pickler seems to be doing it on her own.

It didn't come to my mind to check for the Adam-Allison duet - thanks for reminding! Need to look...

Old 04-12-2009, 02:05 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,389,880 times
Nuala - condolences on doing taxes. Glad to take your mind of that for a little bit. Thanks for the insights. Would be interesting to know. I would imagine all the contestants who make it to the top 36 have a confidentiality agreement. Otherwise we'd be seeing tell-all books by now. Hmmmmmmmm...

Ok - get back to your taxes. My chihuahuas have just informed me it is time to get off this dang computer and GO TO BED!!! Well, maybe I'll stop by the Night Owls chat first... LOL

Old 04-12-2009, 02:49 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,459,433 times
Some answers on what's in the AI contract:

"Fuller and his company own the names, likenesses, voices and personal histories of the "Idol" finalists, "in or in connection with" the show, forever. 19 Group can use that material however it wants, even if it's false, embarrassing or damaging.

If contestants reveal anything to anyone about the workings of the show or the contract they signed, they're liable for damages "in excess of $5 million." Their recording, management and merchandising companies, needless to say, are all owned by 19 Group -- a fundamental conflict of interest familiar to anyone who has studied the machinations of the music biz. "

Slaves of celebrity - Salon.com

Old 04-12-2009, 07:19 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,126,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Some more happiness:

(move your mouse over a picture, it will show "+" sign. Click on the picture and it will blow it up)
Definitely feeling happy! Thank you for posting those!

Have a fabulous Easter everyone!

Old 04-12-2009, 07:59 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,522,967 times
Does anyone know why Simon Cowell always wears t-shirts? Has there been any announcement on this?

Old 04-12-2009, 09:10 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,261,956 times
According to the link posted below, the contestants live in a Bel Air Mansion not a hotel. I remember the contestants talked about living in a house with a personal chef. Remember the chef baked a chocolate cake for Scott. I can't find the US Magazine to which the link refers, but pics of the mansion are included.
Where The American Idol Contestants Live | IAMNOTASTALKER

Old 04-12-2009, 09:45 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,146,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
The mind wanders at midnight and I'm just wondering. OK - I'll admit, I only check in here. I don't read all the 80 bejillion other blogs about AI... so:

1) Do all these people get paid to be here in this contest? I mean the whole top 36? All of them are taking a lot of time off work and I'm just sayin...
I'd be surprised if they get paid. The show has all the power here. Why would they pay people who would gladly pay to be on the show?
Quote:
2) if they do get paid, how much do you think it is?
Not much. Food money, perhpaps?

Quote:
3) Do all the finalists have a contract with the show so that all their performances may be used by the AI franchise forever and a day? And do contestants get royalties when the tunes are sold on ITunes?
I don't know, but again, all the power sits with American Idol. These kids would give anything to be on the show. They would sign anything and agree to anything to be on the show. I'm thinking AI owns the rights and gets all the loot.

Quote:
4) What about the families? The kids? How do they afford to fly in for each of these performances? They always show them on TV. Do they all just move to wherever the heck this is filmed and live there for 3 months along with the contestants? It looks like the contestants are housed in a nice mansion.
I would think that in some cases AI pays to fly the families in (whenever they think it would make the show better). Other times they may have to pay themselves. I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of the families tailor their lives to revolve around this -- they probably have stars and dollar signs in their eyes along with the contestant. Nothing wrong with that. Once they've reached this point, they have a legitimate chance of breaking big.

Quote:
5) Do you spose Simon Cowell gets a chance to manage the - shall we call them - "Non-winners"? He's not just a judge, he has a lot of irons in the fire with his own management company. (Although I read he gets $26 million for each season of AI, and that doesn't count the other shows like Britain's got Talent...)
I would think Simon Fuller gets first shot. It is, afterall, his show. I wouldn't be surprised if Simon Cowell has the right to first shot at the leftovers though.

Quote:
6) Or do you spose Simon Fuller still manages the careers of some of the ones who don't win? They might not get all the goodies, but I would think he might want to help them find agents or whatever to capitalize on the AI franchise.
Yes. This is from the wiki entry for Simon Fuller that I linked to a few pages ago:
Quote:
His company 19 Recordings has achieved million selling acts including Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Chris Daughtry, Fantasia, David Cook, Will Young, Emma Bunton and Gareth Gates, as well as stars from Germany, Australia, Canada and other territories. His label 19 Recordings has sold over 50 million copies of American Idol music in North America alone since the show was first broadcast.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:19 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,490,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Some more happiness:

(move your mouse over a picture, it will show "+" sign. Click on the picture and it will blow it up)
Thanks nuala for posting those. I am going to send this link to my friend that is obsessed with him. She doesn't get on CD but I am encouraging her too. Hope you get your taxes done. I know the feeling...I work for a CPA and I have been working 12 hour days helping get everyone's taxes done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV