Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 03:08 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,390,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Okay, we are getting somewhere. So you believe that Simon will work Danny and Adam to the top. Now, if you were in Simon's shoes, who would you think make the most money for you? The guy who is predictable in his singing and manner and appearance? Or a transformer with better voice capabilities? Are you saying Danny will win?
There is one more aspect to the "Business" side of this. As a business woman, I wouldn't want to manage Adam. IMHO he could be difficult -- he does know how good he is. I've caught the smirk, too. And, funny, I thought of Mario as a comparison a few weeks ago. He is clearly in charge of his image on stage, his music, his lighting, his staging. He's been in the business for awhile, and like many of us have said since the beginning, he's just one record deal short of being a professional. I could see him being in the AI franchise for a year, but then wanting to break out on his own. He clearly has a plan and AI was part of it-- to get the notoriety and show all these 'kids' how to do it. Whether or not he wins at this point is immaterial.

But - re: the ego conversation - no one gets on stage like that in front of huge audiences without thinking they are good. You'd be insane to think you suck at what you love to do and keep on getting up there. (And then, of course, the auditions were full of people who had undeserved egos about their skill level. )

I think all the remaining singers have earned the right to be proud of their skill level and their ability to adapt to different genres. Depending on how you like the songs and the singer, one might see a smirk and another would see a smile of relief.

If I were sitting in Simon's chair right now, and I was looking at the field of talent, I would want to manage either Allison or Kris's careers. If I had to pick one, it would be Allison. Change some of that look, make her a little more consistent, help her with song choices, and you've got a winner. She's a budding Janis Joplin / Bonnie Raitt. She's got years ahead of her of great recordings. When she really comes into her own with a few more years under her belt, she will be a huge powerhouse. Simon will get a longer term contract with her. She doesn't appear to be a prima dona. She takes feedback well, and OMG - she's 16! I think about MY kids at 16! Nowhere near that level of grace, stage presence, ability... (I love'em, but I'm just sayin...)

I think Allison will be the one to be saved. When you think about it - Simon has had better luck with the females. Kelly, Jordin, Carrie. All of them were a little rough at the beginning. Of all of them, Carrie has come the farthest. Not bad to have as an AI artist on your label.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 03:12 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,156,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I understand and agree with your point that Simon is concerned about the business end of competition, and this is the reason for the save. To clarify, I guess what I meant to say was it's ridiculous for them to sit there and discuss saving someone when I think they know beforehand what they're going to do.
Right. I agree that making Scott stand there while they pretend to deliberate was mean. They are only going to use the save for Danny or Adam. I did think it was awesome last week when Simon told Megan not to bother. At least he was honest and I could tell it p-d him off when she said she didn't care. He takes the show seriously, even if he acts nonchalant sometimes. She didn't need to be so flippant about it. She is a gorgeous girl, though.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
But - re: the ego conversation - no one gets on stage like that in front of huge audiences without thinking they are good. You'd be insane to think you suck at what you love to do and keep on getting up there. (And then, of course, the auditions were full of people who had undeserved egos about their skill level. )

I think Allison will be the one to be saved. When you think about it - Simon has had better luck with the females. Kelly, Jordin, Carrie. All of them were a little rough at the beginning. Of all of them, Carrie has come the farthest. Not bad to have as an AI artist on your label.
I love that about the auditions. So many are there to get on the clips for acting like idiots but I am always amazed at those who are absolutely horrible (not even close to borderline) and are shocked when they say no, then meet their parents outside who tell them, "it's okay honey...they're wrong...you are going to be famous one day." They are the musical equivalent of the thousands of parents who think their kid is going to college on a sports scholarship but can't play that sport to save their lives.

Interesting point about Allison and I have to agree with you about the girls (girl power!). Carrie is simply amazing and I don't even listen to country music. She is blonde, gorgeous, thin, seems honestly still shocked to be here, and can sing. You can't invent someone more perfect for country music. Kelly didn't seem to get going until after she got out from her AI contract. I think Simon has learned his lesson, though.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:27 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,460,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
There is one more aspect to the "Business" side of this. As a business woman, I wouldn't want to manage Adam. IMHO he could be difficult -- he does know how good he is. I've caught the smirk, too. And, funny, I thought of Mario as a comparison a few weeks ago. He is clearly in charge of his image on stage, his music, his lighting, his staging. He's been in the business for awhile, and like many of us have said since the beginning, he's just one record deal short of being a professional. I could see him being in the AI franchise for a year, but then wanting to break out on his own. He clearly has a plan and AI was part of it-- to get the notoriety and show all these 'kids' how to do it. Whether or not he wins at this point is immaterial.

I think all the remaining singers have earned the right to be proud of their skill level and their ability to adapt to different genres. Depending on how you like the songs and the singer, one might see a smirk and another would see a smile of relief.

If I were sitting in Simon's chair right now, and I was looking at the field of talent, I would want to manage either Allison or Kris's careers. If I had to pick one, it would be Allison. Change some of that look, make her a little more consistent, help her with song choices, and you've got a winner. She's a budding Janis Joplin / Bonnie Raitt. She's got years ahead of her of great recordings. When she really comes into her own with a few more years under her belt, she will be a huge powerhouse. Simon will get a longer term contract with her. She doesn't appear to be a prima dona. She takes feedback well, and OMG - she's 16! I think about MY kids at 16! Nowhere near that level of grace, stage presence, ability... (I love'em, but I'm just sayin...)

Simon wants to make STARS. Show me a producer who doesn't want to stumble on a gold mine of a lifetime, on the next Freddy Mercury and have a cut of his earnings forever (whatever their contract would be after the initial year or two).

Star's talent is transceding through them with or without their knowledge or awareness... That talent may make them difficult, at times, for producers, but any producer who would turn away a star for this reason - is going to be a loser in the producer's community. Trading Freddy Mercury (for example) for a better manageable female??

Simon has spent his lifetime serching for breaks. Leona somebody, the winner of Britain's equivalent of AI - she's manageable... Do we hear her much? Il Divo that was cherry-picked by Simon - yes, powerful, but it seems that their succes is plastic success, it's an artificial creation of an external force, Simon, - it didn't come from within the 4 guys getting together and having it like the Beatles.

Any agent, any producer, are spending their lives seraching for big breaks.To think that the degree of docility would be their criteria of rejecting a star, is silly at best. Besides, Adam is well versed in theater, but does need a year or two of learning curve in the music and recording business... It' is going to be a symbiosis.

Last edited by nuala; 04-09-2009 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 04-09-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
My mom's group meets most weekends and the first topic of conversation is American Idol. All of us (last week there were 23 moms) said Adam is the most talented but none of us vote for him.

I just like Danny's back story and he's got a good voice. Again, though, not going to go out and buy his album, so it doesn't matter what I think.

Okay, you have a group of moms who don't vote for Adam... What can I say... I do find it strange, but you as a group are entitled to your opinion.

In previous years, as long as AI was going on, I never bought any contestants' records. I truly and honestly can say that I WILL buy Adam's records.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:50 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,795,101 times
Quote:
Okay, you have a group of moms who don't vote for Adam... What can I say... I do find it strange, but you as a group are entitled to your opinion.

In previous years, as long as AI was going on, I never bought any contestants' records. I truly and honestly can say that I WILL buy Adam's records.
EXACTLY. I considered buying Bo Bice's new album, but haven't done it. I did buy the single of Clay Aiken singing "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" where he's backed up by that awesome gospel choir. BUT, I will line up wherever I have to THE DAY Adam's album comes out, no matter what genre of music it is - it will be mine!

Old 04-09-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Yep, and before anyone asks, the group is not unusual. We are of all different ages, income levels (though maybe little higher or upper middle class...certainly not rich), education levels and about 3/4 of us work full time outside the home. We go out for margaritas and have playdates at our houses. We have a book club and got together for a Breast Cancer walk. We are different nationalities and have different parenting styles.

Among other things, we like watching AI. No one has said (other than our kids) that we aren't voting for Adam because he's gay or dresses weird or has (gasp!) black nailpolish. I would not say we're conservative (most in Denver aren't)...it's just that most of us recognize cockiness and don't respond to it, whether it's coming from friends, co-workers, strangers, etc. Adam is amazing...no one is saying otherwise. Just not sure he's going all the way, but it's not like my mom's group will disband and have a day of mourning if he does. It's a fun show to watch and talk about. It doesn't get more serious than that.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:24 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,127,081 times
My 3 year old loves AI. He calls it "Meriqueen Idol". LOL

As just a general thought and not commenting either way on parenting styles, kids pick up their ideologies from their parents. So technically, someone has to tell a child that something is bad or "wrong". They aren't born thinking things like boys don't wear nail polish.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:28 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,127,081 times
I don't really listen to christian music outside of church so that may be the issue, but I can't think of anyone that I would consider stars like there are for every other genre. I know of stars that throw in a song or two, but as far as claiming that as a genre and being enormously successful I have never heard of anyone.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Yep, and before anyone asks, the group is not unusual. We are of all different ages, income levels (though maybe little higher or upper middle class...certainly not rich), education levels and about 3/4 of us work full time outside the home. We go out for margaritas and have playdates at our houses. We have a book club and got together for a Breast Cancer walk. We are different nationalities and have different parenting styles.

Among other things, we like watching AI. No one has said (other than our kids) that we aren't voting for Adam because he's gay or dresses weird or has (gasp!) black nailpolish. I would not say we're conservative (most in Denver aren't)...it's just that most of us recognize cockiness and don't respond to it, whether it's coming from friends, co-workers, strangers, etc. Adam is amazing...no one is saying otherwise. Just not sure he's going all the way, but it's not like my mom's group will disband and have a day of mourning if he does. It's a fun show to watch and talk about. It doesn't get more serious than that.
Your mommies will get converted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV