Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2022, 07:50 AM

10,945 posts, read 4,615,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Reading the True West commentary to 1883--they point out that it would have been more accurately named 1843,

Eggaxctly!

I wrote about this earlier...and I could have let it slide more than I did (my wife even asked me again about my objections over the weekend) but Sheridan had to include the 45-minute-ish companion piece in which he beats us over the head incessantly about american history and accuracy. That Irked me.

Ever see Band of Brothers and its companion piece from 20 years ago? that sets the bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2022, 09:12 AM

7,389 posts, read 12,705,982 times
But...you have to include the next sentence! 1843 wouldn't have worked for the Dutton family timeline. Sheridan would have had to make it about John Dutton's great-great grandfather, and that puts it too far back for "living memory" to matter (John D remembered his grandfather who was a child in 1883). But some of us have greater tolerance of historical inaccuracies for the sake of a good story than others. True West Mag isn't too concerned. To me it is actually all about saving the Western for a new, indifferent generation.

After all, those of us who grew up with Western TV shows weren't exactly treated to historical accuracy, either, but we learned to appreciate the real history because of the good stories. I know I did.

Old 03-14-2022, 09:37 AM

10,945 posts, read 4,615,153 times
Quote:
But...you have to include the next sentence! 1843 wouldn't have worked for the Dutton family timeline. Sheridan would have had to make it about John Dutton's great-great grandfather, and that puts it too far back for "living memory" to matter (John D remembered his grandfather who was a child in 1883). But some of us have greater tolerance of historical inaccuracies for the sake of a good story than others. True West Mag isn't too concerned. To me it is actually all about saving the Western for a new, indifferent generation.

After all, those of us who grew up with Western TV shows weren't exactly treated to historical accuracy, either, but we learned to appreciate the real history because of the good stories. I know I did.

thats the thing about the timeline, if we take the flashbacks as cannon, we know that in a few years the patriarch dies on faith hills kitchen floor after being shot up by rustlers....hence this 2-3 epi micro series to bridge it to the roaring 30's....he is going to have to introduce a dozen people whom you have to visualize a back story via a couple 3 minute scenes...

I said it before, I am on my last nerve with yellowstone proper...unless they dig up some subject material worth watching..soon we will be tuning in wearing our beth dutton t-shirts to see what she says weekly, but heck, we can binge watch sanford and son reruns to view aunt esther...(not to mention I cannot fathom them dredging up anything making the 6666 exciting unless it will be a 'breaking bad 2' and they are cooking meth and distributing via horseback....)

we got spoiled with quality weeklies using season arcs with breaking bad, bosch, and dexter etc - even TWD until it jumped the shark (outlander the jury is out season 5 flushed it much like SoA going to ireland)....mebbe they can work it up to have rip and lloyd take a weekly ne'er do well to the train station...

Old 03-14-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
thats the thing about the timeline, if we take the flashbacks as cannon, we know that in a few years the patriarch dies on faith hills kitchen floor after being shot up by rustlers....hence this 2-3 epi micro series to bridge it to the roaring 30's....he is going to have to introduce a dozen people whom you have to visualize a back story via a couple 3 minute scenes...

I said it before, I am on my last nerve with yellowstone proper...unless they dig up some subject material worth watching..soon we will be tuning in wearing our beth dutton t-shirts to see what she says weekly, but heck, we can binge watch sanford and son reruns to view aunt esther...(not to mention I cannot fathom them dredging up anything making the 6666 exciting unless it will be a 'breaking bad 2' and they are cooking meth and distributing via horseback....)

we got spoiled with quality weeklies using season arcs with breaking bad, bosch, and dexter etc - even TWD until it jumped the shark (outlander the jury is out season 5 flushed it much like SoA going to ireland)....mebbe they can work it up to have rip and lloyd take a weekly ne'er do well to the train station...

Isn't it wonderful that you can choose to watch something else? I just sat through Pieces of Her, which I wish I hadn't, and I am resolved not to watch S2 if it ever rolls around. The power of the viewer.

Old 03-24-2022, 06:26 PM

Reporting on True West Magazine's coverage of 1883: Well-researched articles. Highly recommended! It turns out there was a huge influx of German immigrants from around 1880, and many of them ended up in the Willamette Valley in Oregon, by way of the Oregon Trail, but most of them came from a previous settlement in Kansas. Still, 1883 came close in that respect. And the Gypsy immigrants are also out of the pages of history. True West even has a page of photos from the time period side-by-side with 1883 actors.

In terms of the cattle drives, this was the last gasp. Many Kansas towns had already closed their doors to the cattle drives, but Dodge City was still open. A short time after 1883 Kansas banned cattle drives altogether. The plans for the proposed National Trail fizzled because of the harsh winters later in the 1880s, and a changing economy.

Oh, and the Paradise Valley near Bozeman was settled by a rancher called Story (appropriately), but that was already in 1866.

Pick up the magazine! Lots of fun factoids.

Old 03-26-2022, 09:35 AM

28,971 posts, read 30,339,697 times
Quote:
Reporting on True West Magazine's coverage of 1883: Well-researched articles. Highly recommended! It turns out there was a huge influx of German immigrants from around 1880, and many of them ended up in the Willamette Valley in Oregon, by way of the Oregon Trail, but most of them came from a previous settlement in Kansas. Still, 1883 came close in that respect. And the Gypsy immigrants are also out of the pages of history. True West even has a page of photos from the time period side-by-side with 1883 actors.

In terms of the cattle drives, this was the last gasp. Many Kansas towns had already closed their doors to the cattle drives, but Dodge City was still open. A short time after 1883 Kansas banned cattle drives altogether. The plans for the proposed National Trail fizzled because of the harsh winters later in the 1880s, and a changing economy.

Oh, and the Paradise Valley near Bozeman was settled by a rancher called Story (appropriately), but that was already in 1866.

Pick up the magazine! Lots of fun factoids.
Very interesting, thank you...enjoy reading your posts....

I'm curious, why did Kansas towns ban cattle drives?

I believe 1883 will forever remain in my mind, as it had awakened the inner child in me, as to the terrible hard ships those poor people endured....no real medicine to speak of, leaving everything behind, loosing loved ones, children, limbs and innocence, those last two episodes, literally made me sick to my stomach....just cannot imagine. Oh yes, and I'm sure there were happy times, but, those times traveling across the country in horse and wagons, must have been devestating...those people deserve our attention, how brave they were, how utterly humbled they must have been....

Old 05-24-2022, 05:23 AM

50,412 posts, read 64,161,814 times
I’ve just finished watching, and the show will stay with me a long time. I can’t remember anything that I’ve ever seen on tv that was any better. The young actress who played the daughter was remarkable.

Is it true there will be another series called 1932? That will be the generation between 1883 and Yellowstone. Hope so.

Old 05-24-2022, 05:52 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,628,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’ve just finished watching, and the show will stay with me a long time. I can’t remember anything that I’ve ever seen on tv that was any better. The young actress who played the daughter was remarkable.

Is it true there will be another series called 1932? That will be the generation between 1883 and Yellowstone. Hope so.
Sheridan has quite a few things in the hopper (including 1932).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LltEmW0R1_U

Old 05-24-2022, 07:45 AM

22,945 posts, read 28,339,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Yup. Starring Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren.

https://deadline.com/2022/05/yellows...rd-1235026210/

Old 05-24-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yup. Starring Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren.

https://deadline.com/2022/05/yellows...rd-1235026210/

I thought it was a late April Fool's joke! But nooo, it's for real! Wow!
Taylor, we love you, man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV