Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2023, 06:16 PM

28,970 posts, read 30,336,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
loves2read Yes…I wish we could have seen how Thomas and his gypsy love fared in their new life
That would make interesting series too
you are absolutely right, that would make for a great show...I'm watching 1883 again, started last night...love it...

Quote:
My husband didn’t appreciate Elsa’s behavior after Ennis was murdered…starting her relationship with Sam so soon
But I told him being in the tornado had created an appreciation for living again by bringing her so close to death that just talking couldn’t. And because she was so aware of the fragility of life/happiness she wasn’t going to miss out on any future chances
I'm glad she experienced Sam, a whole new way of life, her dream actually...even with Ennis, she would have wanted to live out there in the wide open spaces I believe....I think her story shows us, each of us is on our very own journey, and we're right where we're supposed to be.

Loved the part when she was talking with her dad about kissing Ennis, and she asks, "are you gonna tell mom," and lol, he said, "hell no, your gonna tell her!"

When it was first announced who was going to be the actors in 1883 I had doubts, big time, but let me tell you, they were fantastic actors....

Quote:
He is more conservative—still thought it was trashy behavior despite my lyrical insightful analysis…oh, well
LOL, no, I thought it was beautiful and I was happy for her, although her mother was against it. Remember the part where her mother was discussing with her, that when they arrived at where ever they were going, Elsa was going to have to put on a dress again and play a part that the world wanted her to be....funny, how she was so sad about that, and yet, fought her daughter's dream....I think Elsa was doing everything she her self wished she had done. Remember she said she was pregnant with Elsa at 17 already....

I wonder if there is going to be a second series? Where James and her build the cabin and she has another boy...? I would love to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2023, 06:37 PM

37,313 posts, read 59,965,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

Remember the part where her mother was discussing with her, that when they arrived at where ever they were going, Elsa was going to have to put on a dress again and play a part that the world wanted her to be....funny, how she was so sad about that, and yet, fought her daughter's dream....I think Elsa was doing everything she her self wished she had done. Remember she said she was pregnant with Elsa at 17 already....

I wonder if there is going to be a second series? Where James and her build the cabin and she has another boy...? I would love to see it.
Just reminder that Margaret did make Elsa get back into “white people dress” out of her Comanche outfit when they were heading to the fort and that is why Elsa was probably shot—
If she had been wearing Comanche garb I don’t think the Indian raiders would have been so quick to shoot her

I thought that was something it would be hard for James to forgive
Margaret was always trying to make Elsa less “wild” more comforable to what was expected by society
Elsa wanted to be free—to be her own person—she wasn’t cowed but she loved her mom and wore the dress just to make her happy—and that was a big mistake
So much irony in the idea that love gave Elsa the means to avoid being killed and yet love is what made her a victim—
The saying “you kill the one you love” came true with Margaret putting Elsa back into that dress
The raiders only saw the outward signs of the culture they hated and shot her—thinking they were the ones who attacked the Indians’ village…

Old 03-07-2023, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Just reminder that Margaret did make Elsa get back into “white people dress” out of her Comanche outfit when they were heading to the fort and that is why Elsa was probably shot—
If she had been wearing Comanche garb I don’t think the Indian raiders would have been so quick to shoot her

I thought that was something it would be hard for James to forgive
Margaret was always trying to make Elsa less “wild” more comforable to what was expected by society
Elsa wanted to be free—to be her own person—she wasn’t cowed but she loved her mom and wore the dress just to make her happy—and that was a big mistake
So much irony in the idea that love gave Elsa the means to avoid being killed and yet love is what made her a victim—
The saying “you kill the one you love” came true with Margaret putting Elsa back into that dress
The raiders only saw the outward signs of the culture they hated and shot her—thinking they were the ones who attacked the Indians’ village…
yes, was watching that scene last night, and thought the same, "wish she hadn't been wearing that dress"
I don't blieve Elsa's mother was doing anything wrong, as you said, she was just trying to make Elsa more comfortable and ready to deal with society, but believe a lot of us when Elsa's age were the same way, I certainly was....which with age and circumstances mellows, and not sure, that's a good thing...depends....lol

and yeah, I was surprised that James took it all in strid and didn't blame Margaret, but his love for her was intense...to the point of submission...I laughed so hard when Elsa asked James, "are you going to tell mama about us kissing" and his reply, "Hell no, your gonna tell her!"

Old 07-06-2023, 09:03 PM

6,458 posts, read 4,953,644 times
Just finished binging this. Its extremely well done, but so depressing. Taylor Sheridan again proves he is a genius at making compelling TV. I love all his shows Yellowstone, Tulsa King, Mayor of Kingstown and 1883. Tim McGraw was superb as was Sam Elliott and especially Isabel May.

Old 07-22-2023, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Just finished binging this. Its extremely well done, but so depressing. Taylor Sheridan again proves he is a genius at making compelling TV. I love all his shows Yellowstone, Tulsa King, Mayor of Kingstown and 1883. Tim McGraw was superb as was Sam Elliott and especially Isabel May.
Loved Isabel May so much....and this series, was brilliant....cannot wait to see his new series, starting tomorrow night I believe Lioness....I've loved everyone of his movies, he surely has a gift for writing and holding us captive.

Old 07-23-2023, 01:44 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,545,791 times
Reminder - Paramount cable is now running 1883 as a summer must view on Sundays - in the Yellowstone time slot. Today's new episode - 'Yellow Hair."

Old 08-10-2023, 06:22 PM

1,811 posts, read 3,196,697 times
Just finished 1883. That was depressing, but good season. I liked seeing Elsa grow. From adventurous teenager that thought she was invincible, to cowboy, to warrior and then has to come to terms with her own mortality.

The journey through the wilderness, outside of civilization and the dangers that come with it were interesting to see. The part where Elsa mom tells her this is the only place you will be truly free. I live in Colorado and I've come across the remains of log cabins in the middle nowhere on hikes. Despite the dangers, I often wonder what it was like.

I watch the show for entertainment, I'm not too concerned with historical accuracy. One thing I did nitpick is how they never run out of ammo in those gun fights. I didn't care for the pacing either. Took half the season to get out of Texas, then a few episodes later they are in Montana.

Started watching 1923, meh so far in comparison. I think being outside of civilization in 1883 was an environment you don't see much these days. Made it feel more unique.

Old 08-11-2023, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
Just finished 1883. That was depressing, but good season. I liked seeing Elsa grow. From adventurous teenager that thought she was invincible, to cowboy, to warrior and then has to come to terms with her own mortality.

The journey through the wilderness, outside of civilization and the dangers that come with it were interesting to see. The part where Elsa mom tells her this is the only place you will be truly free. I live in Colorado and I've come across the remains of log cabins in the middle nowhere on hikes. Despite the dangers, I often wonder what it was like.

I watch the show for entertainment, I'm not too concerned with historical accuracy. One thing I did nitpick is how they never run out of ammo in those gun fights. I didn't care for the pacing either. Took half the season to get out of Texas, then a few episodes later they are in Montana.

Started watching 1923, meh so far in comparison. I think being outside of civilization in 1883 was an environment you don't see much these days. Made it feel more unique.
Enjoyed reading this, and for me, the series was better then Yellowstone, if one could rate them...b/c I loved Yellowstone....loved Elsa, and her poetic intro of each epi, and for me, watching her grow was extremely interesting....the hardships they all endured was epic....which is something we don't think about any longer....

Heres a story, We were hiking somewhere in PA, I foget where, it was though on State Game Lands where the remains of a cabin sat in the middle of the area, almost gone, just a few logs of wood and the old hand made stone foundation...we stopped to rest there and quit literally couldn't help but wonder when this was built, who lived there, was it a family or some recluse older man who didn't want to live near society? There were no roads leading to it, in or out? But there was a story for certain.

Me, I never question the time differences in a series or movie...they simply couldn't show it all in the allotted time they have....so they have to jump forward quickly, or stay in one era of time, to describe what they went thru.

When we first heard it was coming out, I wasn't too thrilled at their pick for the rolls, (Tim McGraw & Faith Hill) but they sure proved me wrong...they were brilliant actors, actually perfect! Now it would be hard to imagine, anyone else playing those roles.

Elsa was perfect, even the old aunt, Claire, (now theres another story, right) who was so mean spirited and hateful....and of course, Sam Elliot, who in my book will forever remain an icon, and filming the 1883 character of Brennan, for him, could not have been an easy task at 78 years old, but amazingly, he pulled it off.

Yeah, 1883 was so far the best....for me, I could watch it again and again...like I did Lonesome Dove, that wonderful series from long ago, starring Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall and of course, Ricky Schroder. What a wonderful dusty old western cowboy series that was.

Old 08-11-2023, 10:38 AM

18,134 posts, read 11,775,427 times
I was wondering the navigation of 1883: what was the route or trail? I found this on Google:

1883 Dutton Ranch

Starting from Tennessee down to Texas to go northbound.

Old 08-11-2023, 12:47 PM

2,990 posts, read 1,758,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Loved Isabel May so much....and this series, was brilliant....cannot wait to see his new series, starting tomorrow night I believe Lioness....I've loved everyone of his movies, he surely has a gift for writing and holding us captive.
Check out Taylor Sheridan's feature films if you haven't already.

Sicario (2015)
Sicario: Day of the Soldado (2018)
Wind River (2017)
Hell or High Water (2016)

Everyone of these films are fantastic, some of my very favorite ones of that time frame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV