Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 08:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,484,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
When Kristian Alfonso, Peter Reckell, Eileen Davidson, Diedre Hall and others started on soaps, they were big business and there were a bunch of them on the air. Some of those actors jumped between soaps, some jumped to nighttime soaps (Dallas, Dynasty, Falcon Crest, etc), but those shows died out, too. By then, acting outside of soaps was difficult since they were pretty type cast. Others like Meg Ryan started in soaps, but used them as a springboard to bigger roles.

Soap opera acting is hard work. Long hours, tons of dialogue to memorize, year after year, no location shoots like TV shows or movies, publicity appearances...it's grueling work. Unfortunately, though, the medium is dying out as there are only a few soaps left compared to twenty years ago.
Galen Ghering, Rafe, was just talking about that on the "Katie" show. He said everytime he gets his scripts he wonders how he is going to manage to memorize all those pages. I used to do theater work and I knew some people who had minor roles in soaps and they said the memorization was just incredible. Of course, that's one reason you don't see the same actors everyday. They need time to memorize their lines.

When they used to broadcast live, you sometimes saw them go up on their lines just like in live theater but actors are very good at covering for one another or even covering for themselves. That's when you get really creative.

The reasons given by some of the younger actors today is they want to try some Internet acting like the actor who played Melanie on Days whose name escapes me right now. Some do both TV and Internet acting like Ghering and Eric Martsolf. Of course I am sure some hope to go on to greater fame as some popular movie and TV stars have. Soaps have always served as a springboard for hopefuls to greater fame which is another reason it's sad to see them diminish as they are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 08:49 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,855,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post

Now, THAT's something I'd like to see!

LOL, stay tuned because I think you're going to. They did the same thing on GH with one of the nurses. It seems to be an oft-repeated theme lately.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:11 PM

Wow! JJ just exploded today. He sure went off on Dr. Dan who was just trying to calm him down. I think maybe a night or two in jail might be what he needs. I think if old Jen had gotten him into counseling when he first got back, things wouldn't have gotten so out of hand. But nooooooo.... She had to handle the situation herself. She just keeps making wrong decisions.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:03 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,611,858 times
Even though Hope told everyone to keep quiet at the police station, I was BEYOND pissed that Jenn didn't get in JJs face when he was hurling insults. She just stood by & let him rant on.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:09 PM

19,229 posts, read 16,745,816 times
Yes, Jennifer is so passive, when it comes to JJ. I have a feeling that JJ will eventually warm up to Daniel, though. Not positive, just a feeling.

For me, that particular storyline is interesting, having been the parent of a strong-willed older teen/young adult. One thought, though. I never let my children talk to me that way when they were still living under my roof. If they wanted respect, they were to be respectful. Really interesting storyline. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I'm also looking forward to the other storylines. Father Eric and his lost memory and Kristen being exposed for her deception.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:45 PM

Oh boy. Jennifer is going to "fix" things with JJ again. Will that woman ever learn? She doesn't fix things, she breaks them. She has not made one good decision. When will she ever learn? And when will Daniel wise up and realize he is dealing with a very passive-aggressive woman who needs as much counseling as her son?

I liked the bantering between Sami and Rafe today. There are still feelings there. Who knows what they are though? And Marlena and Nicole, that was a good one. But the writers are doing it to us again with the pass the clue-over-and-over-and-then-finally-to-the-kid routine with the flash drive like they did with the picture of Kristen and the thug she hired to attack Brady. Lazy writers.

It sure took Father Eric long enough to suspect Nicole as the woman who attacked him. How long ago did we figure out he would come to that conclusion?

Old 10-09-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Oh boy. Jennifer is going to "fix" things with JJ again. Will that woman ever learn? She doesn't fix things, she breaks them. She has not made one good decision. When will she ever learn?
She won't give up because JJ is her son and she loves him. I hope she doesn't give up on him like he did today when he told her, "I'm done." That's the worst thing a parent can hear from their child.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:49 PM

I am not saying she should give up on JJ, I mean she should give up on her tactics trying to do it alone because her methods aren't working. When things get as serious as they have gotten with JJ, professional help is needed. She also needs the support of family and friends and she is pushing them away. It almost seems like a stubbornness on her part that is equal to JJ's but he is only 18 so he has a reason. She is the adult so she should be more reasonable and seek help.

Right now, I think JJ needs to talk to someone outside the family like a counselor. He might have refused before but now that would be possible as a requirement for him to get out of jail. He would have no choice and it could really be helpful. Then Jennifer could step in when JJ was ready to accept the fact that his mother is not to blame for his feelings. I think what bugs me most about this story line is that it is not real. As much as she wants to, Jennifer is just not in a position to help JJ right now. She hasn't done the right thing so far no matter how well meaning she has been.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:46 PM

The storyline is more real than you realize. Jennifer doesn't help because she still believes she can help her son. A mother thinks like that until they finally realize they cannot do it alone. Jennifer hasn't reached that point but she's close. Well, let's say she's close, if the writers want her to be close. I can see the dynamics of what the writers are doing. Frankly, I think the actors are doing a great job of carrying it out.

JJ (Casey Moss), is outstanding at playing the part of an obnoxious 18-year-old, with anger issues that are exacerbated by his drug use. Flipping his cot (which doesn't happen in real life because they are anchored to the wall) only shows how much anger he has inside. Yeah, I think court-ordered counseling would do him some good but he has to be amenable to it. At this point, with his arrogant attitude, I think he'd just thumb his nose at the judge and say, "Go ahead, send me to jail. I don't care!!!!"

I can't wait to see how this will all play out. I hope the writers use this storyline to tell a real story of what often happens in families when children come of age and learn the secrets in their family.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:06 PM

I hope the writers have Jennifer reach that point but I am afraid they won't and they will have her do it all on her own which is unrealistic. Well, we will see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV