Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 08:37 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times

Advertisements

"Gilligan's Island" has enjoyed such a long, successful life in syndication for a series that never ranked in the top 10 and only lasted three seasons. What made it so popular? Was it primarily a children's show? That would explain its presence for so long on after-school television.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilligan%27s_Island
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 10:08 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
I would venture to say that it even today it is good clean fun in an era when we've begun to push boundaries farther than ever before.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:43 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,017,461 times
It's just silly fun.

Oh, and Mary Ann of course, LOL!

Old 08-05-2017, 01:51 PM

2,920 posts, read 1,985,284 times
Mary Ann, Mary Ann, Mary Ann, and banana cream pie.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:45 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Tina Louise has wanted nothing to do with "GI" since the series ended. I read on Wikipedia that she claimed it ruined her career.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:07 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
It's just silly fun.

Oh, and Mary Ann of course, LOL!
Couldn't have said it any better.

A fun cast, I like them all....The Skipper, Gilligan, the Movie Star, the Professor,
the millionaire and his wife Luvy.

And especially Mary Ann

Old 08-05-2017, 05:09 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,017,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Tina Louise has wanted nothing to do with "GI" since the series ended. I read on Wikipedia that she claimed it ruined her career.

She ruined her own career by being a bad actress.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:20 PM

939 posts, read 788,361 times
Quote:
Could be.

GI fact:

Ginger got more fan mail (at least that's what was reported), but Maryann got more marriage proposals.

I used to watch it all the time, because it was on all the time...good clean slapstick.

Haven't watched it in ions, as it was one of many popular shows with a shoe-string budget and the sets to prove it.

The episode that sort of sticks in my mind is the golfing one, though I couldn't quote a line.

Alan Hale (who loved playing the skipper, even years later) opened up and ran a restaurant from 1969/70(?) through 1982 on the trendy La Cienega Blvd.'s restaurant row area in Hollywood, called Skipper Alan Hale's Lobster Barrel.

Here's a recent article from 2/17 on Hale's restaurant:

...In 1982, Alan Hale no longer participated in active ownership of the restaurant, but it continued on as Alan Hale's Lobster Barrel until it closed its doors in 1990. Hale tried his hand at other ventures then, including owning a travel agency ( Anyone want to take a three-hour boat tour? ). He also appeared in several commercials.

https://silverscenesblog.blogspot.co...estaurant.html

Ensign Chrysler Plymouth ad in 1986.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:38 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
She ruined her own career by being a bad actress.
For sure, aged not bad though.
Mary Ann aged even better.

My fave episode is the one with that "Beatle-like" pop group "The Mosquitos",
the girls formed "The Honey Bees", actually pretty good

Old 08-05-2017, 10:23 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,987,647 times
Quote:
"Gilligan's Island" has enjoyed such a long, successful life in syndication for a series that never ranked in the top 10 and only lasted three seasons. What made it so popular? Was it primarily a children's show? That would explain its presence for so long on after-school television.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilligan%27s_Island
I would say that it's easy to watch and any age group could watch it. And you don't have to think too much about the show or an episode, but it's just clean, silly fun. Also, the characters are classic and each different in their own way... kind of like The Big Bang Theory... where you have the tall mean one, the short one who get's picked on all the time, the strange skinny one with the Beatle haircut, and the strange brown man with the accent who has all these quirks in his personality. Therefore, GI like TBBT is just fun to watch.(Although, with TBBT, you have to be on your Ps & Qs because there is a lot of 'intellectual' humor that could go over your head.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV