Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 02:43 PM

939 posts, read 790,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Mary Tyler Moore's show is a major leap in television. You had a single working woman who was quite happy about it and not out looking, and was a voice for all the women who had made it and those who dreamed of....
MTM was modeled after That Girl, Marlo Thomas. IIRC, Mare even had a hairdo not unlike that of MT's at the beginning.

Head writers from The Dick Van Dyke Show, a Danny Thomas production (Marlo's dad), Bill Persky and Sam Denoff were unofficially the creators and actual Executive Producers of That Girl.

True, Marlo did have a steady beau as opposed to Mary, who just happened to find, and then date every conceivable jerk of a man on the planet!

I think Joe Campanella's character possibly had two (or more?) dates with her, only one was shown though.

Pretty much, the only guy that visually got two dates with her was Ted Bessell, Marlo's beau from her show.

IIRC, those two male characters had other plans with their lives that didn't include her.

Back to topic...

I wasn't too thrilled with Ginger's character on GI.

I haven't seen her in anything else before or after GI. Was she a better actress elsewhere, but her character demanded just playing a shallow Hollywood actress...here on Gilligan's Isle?

Quote:

It's also true that there's a direct line between Manard and Gilligan. They both were a part of the movement by some to 'drop out' of the norm and had their different drummers…

Maynard was sort of a hip-beatnik (pre-hippy) who didn’t want to WORK (didn’t he sometimes nervously bark that word out?)! Him work?

If you look at the very first episode of DG, there’s an opening shot eight minutes in (after the commercial break?)
that has DRUGS spelled vertically @ the right side of the screen:

Tried unsuccessfully to post a screen shot, so here’s the link to the episode @ 8:00 (hope the link doesn’t get yanked):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvWF_BIU9vU

I'm pretty sure I'm stretching it on the next shot that transitions from the DRUG one..."Jackpot $100", which is kind of funny ‘cause although the term Pot was first introduced in the 1930’s, only the upper and lower classes were first to know (as they both do in anything taboo, the middle class gets it last).

There is sort of a common thread between Denver’s two characters, though I’m not sure if most of it is due to his acting abilities.

Here’s a clip from TAGS, in some spots he almost looks like L. H. Oswald almost sounds like him too, (maybe it’s the B&W's fault!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_HqENla6Kw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 03:19 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,834,786 times
Quote:
If CBS had paid any attention the fandom which started during the first season, and the intensity of it, and if things had been closer to today, they just might have not given up.
"Star Trek" was an NBC show.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:35 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,862,165 times
I never understood the appeal of this show in syndication and, as someone mentioned, it wasn't even popular during its first run. I used to change the channel when I heard the theme song lol.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:35 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,991,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noregon98 View Post
Back to topic...

I wasn't too thrilled with Ginger's character on GI.

I haven't seen her in anything else before or after GI. Was she a better actress elsewhere, but her character demanded just playing a shallow Hollywood actress...here on Gilligan's Isle?
She had a role on the second season of "Dallas," and she seemed to have shed her 'Ginger' persona. Therefore, it appeared that she could act.

Tina Louise as Julie Gray on "Dallas"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZU4ukbkoTM

Dallas | Julie explains her friendship with Jock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBlJd_0IOvc

Also, with the little bit of money that she made from GI, she should have fixed the imperfection on her bottom teeth.

Quote:
Maynard was sort of a hip-beatnik (pre-hippy) who didn’t want to WORK (didn’t he sometimes nervously bark that word out?)! Him work?

If you look at the very first episode of DG, there’s an opening shot eight minutes in (after the commercial break?)
that has DRUGS spelled vertically @ the right side of the screen:

Tried unsuccessfully to post a screen shot, so here’s the link to the episode @ 8:00 (hope the link doesn’t get yanked):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvWF_BIU9vU

I'm pretty sure I'm stretching it on the next shot that transitions from the DRUG one..."Jackpot $100", which is kind of funny ‘cause although the term Pot was first introduced in the 1930’s, only the upper and lower classes were first to know (as they both do in anything taboo, the middle class gets it last).
Well, yeah, I think that you are kind of stretching it because back then, they wouldn't have had any type of 'hint' like that on broadcast television. Because heck... they hardly would let married couples sleep in the same bed or show the bathroom's toilet back in those days. Also, the word "DRUGS" is at the 8:09 mark in your video. Plus, it's spelled horizontally and not vertically... and it would be referring to a drug store.

Quote:
There is sort of a common thread between Denver’s two characters, though I’m not sure if most of it is due to his acting abilities.

Here’s a clip from TAGS, in some spots he almost looks like L. H. Oswald almost sounds like him too, (maybe it’s the B&W's fault!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_HqENla6Kw
Hmmm. Well, I'm not sure how you're getting Lee Harvey Oswald from that video, however, for a moment, he seemed to have shed his 'Gilligan' and 'Maynard' persona by being mean and angry. However, in this "I Dream of Jeannie" video, he once again seemed to adopt his 'Gilligan' persona.

I DREAM OF JEANNIE WITH BOB DENVER+larry hagman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUoxtI3hrnc

Last edited by William Taylor; 08-07-2017 at 11:55 PM..

Old 08-07-2017, 11:45 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,991,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
She had a role on the second season of "Dallas," and she seemed to have shed her 'Ginger' persona. Therefore, it appeared that she could act.
Also, this next video doesn't have anything to do with the topic... but I just really liked the scene.

Dallas:Miss.Ellie Fully Loaded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ_KbrC7SnY

Old 08-08-2017, 01:13 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,816,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Syfy has Sharknado, up to #5. AMC The Walking Dead, 2 different series. Two Broke Girls and Two and 1/2 Men. I watch The Walking Dead, mind you, but really, people question Gilligan's Island?
This is very true. I don't get the obsession with zombies. Gilligan's Island isn't my cup of tea but it's more understandable than some of these new shoes. I understand Gilligan's Island is a classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I used to change the channel when I heard the theme song lol.
Ha I kinda like the theme song though. I love music a lot so I always appreciate when the show has a song in the introduction so sometimes I will like a theme song of a show I do not even watch.
I'm also more prone to watch it now because theme song sequences have pretty much died now so it's greatly missed.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:24 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,901,685 times
Granted, the show was out of production by the time I was born, but I have watched some re-runs.

I think people are overlooking the science and social commentary/satire elements. The male-female interactions probably were notable, and my hunch is that it was rare for TV then to make fun of rich people. Also, Bob Denver already had a big fan base. My underlying point is that Gilligan's Island appealed to many viewers for many different reasons.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:19 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,140,557 times
Mr. Howell was a good character and pulled more than his own weight in making the show funny, what a voice that guy had. The gold mine episode, the one where he found out he was broke (radio broadcast), his mannerisms and style were quite unique, nobody could have played that part like him.

People overlook the contribution Sherwood Schwartz made with the music, he was a producer but also a pretty good musician. The music greatly enhances the show. Check out this compilation of all the music cuts he used, most of which he wrote himself. Don't miss the Japanese sailor music at 12:05.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErE6K2pVklw

Old 08-08-2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Regarding her acting abilities, I was hoping someone would chime in to help with links, which Is why I made it a question, not statement of opinion, thanks for supplying them.

I liked her, just not the phony Hollywood character she was hired to play.

Quote:
...Also, with the little bit of money that she made from GI, she should have fixed the imperfection on her bottom teeth.
Not for anything, but you're losing me big time on on that superficial looks-thang.

Again, not for anything, but, regarding her teeth...I will "almost" (hope all that clarifies that word as merely an opinion) bet the farm she is keeping her teeth like that so she can be taken more seriously as an actress than she was with her "I hope she bends over a little bit to the left this time in this scene in that dress" actress from GI...Textbook Sex Symbol - 102 (still in print and in use today (*see Miley Cyrus).

I tend to judge others by their inside, not their outside, so I can pretty much stomach looking at anyone different than me, including poor toothless people!

Quote:
Well, yeah, I think that you are kind of stretching it because back then, they wouldn't have had any type of 'hint' like that on broadcast television. Because heck... they hardly would let married couples sleep in the same bed or show the bathroom's toilet back in those days. 1) Also, the word "DRUGS" is at the 8:09 mark in your video. 2) Plus, it's spelled horizontally and not vertically... 3)and it would be referring to a drug store.

WHOA! I think I unintentionally rubbed a big Bob Denver/Gilligan's Island/Dallas/Tina Louise fan the wrong way here and I think you are nitpicking and outing strictly because of it!
I understand fan worship, unfortunately, they wouldn't give you/us even half of what you/we give them...perhaps that's why some love them so!?
Or...maybe it looked like I was trying to make potential drug-sters look like they were trying to spread it to the masses?

This ain't my first post wherein I violated grammar and punctuation rules, yet it's the first one that somebody held a microscope to (something tells me I may live to regret that statement!).

I really shouldn't complain though, as I did put two commas in the wrong place, I left a couple of dangling participles, and there's also a missing period you didn't catch...WHEW....

All in fun here, but whenever I see Muphry's Law being somewhat violated, I have to respond (and hope I don't further violate it myself in the process!)...don't forget...you were the one who raised the punctuation bar:

Your entries;

"Dallas,"
- I think the comma should have been outside of the quotes.
I knew what you meant though and had I saw you (or anyone else) do any of these or the following ones in another thread, I would have never-ever mentioned them, even if I didn't agree with you!

Tina Louise as Julie Gray on "Dallas" - potentially missing some sort of punctuation at the end like a colon, for one (I knew it was the end of a sentence though, and what you actually meant!).

Dallas | Julie explains her friendship with Jock - potentially missing some sort of punctuation at the end (I knew it was the end of a sentence though and what you actually meant!).

I DREAM OF JEANNIE WITH BOB DENVER+larry hagman - no caps for LH? (I knew it was a proper name though and what you actually meant!).

Personal taste, I guess, of inserting a "+" in between words, proper or not, with no spacing, but again, I knew what you meant.

Plus, it's spelled horizontally and not vertically... and it would be referring to a drug store.

I haven't seen the episode in at least 27 years when it was on Nick, so I'm surprised I remembered that it even said Drugs at all, let alone remembering if it were horizontal or vertical... very, very critical point(!) though in regards to BD, TL, and the thread itself...am I discredited yet!

I always thought that when two words have an ellipsis in between them (vertically... and), there are no spaces between the first or last "."

Your first "." following the correction of vertically, is correct. However...the distance between the last "." and right before the "and" was just a tad superfluous.

Quote:
Well, yeah, I think that you are kind of stretching it because back then, they wouldn't have had any type of 'hint' like that on broadcast television. Because heck... they hardly would let married couples sleep in the same bed or show the bathroom's toilet back in those days. 1) Also, the word "DRUGS" is at the 8:09 mark in your video. 2) Plus, it's spelled horizontally and not vertically... 3)and it would be referring to a drug store.
What does #1 and #2 have to do with anything of actual importance!? More than likely, you didn't like my opinion!

#3 Max Schulman wrote the episode, so only he and the location manager could emphatically deny the drug reference.
Also remember that emphatically is not a always a synonym for truthfully.

There are a couple of ways that Drugs sign could have intentionally gotten there and there's a fair chance they wouldn't have been referencing Marijuana or Heroin per se, however...legal sedatives (DRUGS) like Barbiturates (sleeping pills) were quite popular then for people who work long stressful hours...Hollywood?...nah.
It could have been a modern variation of one of those types of verbal/visual in-jokes that have been flourishing the planet since the dawn of man.

Toilets and beds are a little more obvious than a strategically placed sign, especially/whether or not (if) the censors or the other powers that be had no clue about anything but a martini.

Please note: I only brought up the drug thing again because you sounded so sure, I am not attacking drug usage of any kind here...am I discredited yet?!

BTW, I said I was probably stretching it in regards to the transitioning Jackpot scene, not the Drugs one, and, it was a joke!

Jackpot could be the name of a strain, is what I meant, and yes I know there were little or no named strains then, and they probably didn't even use the term strain in regards to pot.

Fun Fact: Denver was arrested for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia in his car in February 1971. He pleaded no contest for a reduced sentence of a $250 fine.

In 1962 Billy Gray from Father Knows Best was busted for pot possession.

Quote:

Hmmm. Well, I'm not sure how you're getting Lee Harvey Oswald from that video
IIRC, I didn't say they looked so much alike, nobody, even mom couldn't tell them apart.

Let me clarify further...I wasn't inferring that they resembled each other in every single frame, just out of the whole first courtroom sequence, there were about 7-10 frames wherein to me, he did ...those would be the ones that someone painstakingly screenshots, then posts on the net, and is close enough to each other to get a lot of hits and likes (mostly from non-BD fans of course!).
Oswald was an evil character, I can see why you don't want to link the two.

In my almost 70 years, I've been told I looked like over 30 different people, some of which had completely different colored hair, and most even had hair!

Be careful of blind fan worship, as they never quite seem to genuinely return the favor, unless of course it's an act for photo shoots, selfies, or a nice-quick fake positive memory for their fans.

Some interesting stuff in this link regarding GI and the cast:

The music and lyrics for the theme song, "The Ballad of Gilligan’s Isle", were written by Sherwood Schwartz and George Wyle.

One version was used for the first season and another for the second and third seasons.

In the original song, the Professor and Mary Ann, originally considered "second-billed co-stars", were referred to as "the rest", but with the growing popularity of those characters, their names were inserted into the lyrics.

The Gilligan theme song underwent this one major change due to star Bob Denver, who personally went to the studio executives and asked that Johnson and Wells be added to the theme song's opening credits.
When the studio at first refused, saying it would be too expensive to reshoot, Denver insisted, even going so far as to state that if Johnson and Wells were not included, he wanted his name out of the song, as well. The studio caved in, and "the Professor and Mary Ann" were added.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilligan%27s_Island

Last edited by noregon98; 08-08-2017 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: added "fake"

Old 08-08-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Mr. Howell was a good character and pulled more than his own weight in making the show funny, what a voice that guy had. The gold mine episode, the one where he found out he was broke (radio broadcast), his mannerisms and style were quite unique, nobody could have played that part like him.

People overlook the contribution Sherwood Schwartz made with the music, he was a producer but also a pretty good musician. The music greatly enhances the show. Check out this compilation of all the music cuts he used, most of which he wrote himself. Don't miss the Japanese sailor music at 12:05.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErE6K2pVklw

Thanks for posting that.

I didn't know that kind of stuff existed.

There are maybe a dozen shows I've wanted segue and cut music from for decades.

I love Lucy and the Adventures Of Ozzie & Harriet are two.

O & H was full of instrumental background music (not to be confused with Ricky's songs).

SS also wrote comedy for Hob Hope and the O & H radio show.

He wrote two unsold pilots (1982-83), both starring Bob Denver, one of them included Denver's wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV