Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 01:52 PM

42,119 posts, read 75,702,669 times

Advertisements

That's a question I've been asking for 50 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 03:26 PM

4,885 posts, read 5,049,039 times
Syfy has Sharknado, up to #5. AMC The Walking Dead, 2 different series. Two Broke Girls and Two and 1/2 Men. I watch The Walking Dead, mind you, but really, people question Gilligan's Island?

Old 08-06-2017, 06:36 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,673,361 times
I loved Gilligan's Island as a kid and of course had a crush on Mary Ann. I couldn't stand Ginger.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:57 AM

44,123 posts, read 44,946,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's a question I've been asking for 50 years.
Gillian's Island is not the only show that wasn't very popular when it ran originally. The original Star Trek series was discontinued after 3 seasons due to the low ratings at the time.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:32 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,905,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Gillian's Island is not the only show that wasn't very popular when it ran originally. The original Star Trek series was discontinued after 3 seasons due to the low ratings at the time.
Star Trek fans claim the show was more popular than the ratings suggested. Perhaps who was watching it (eggheads and aspiring eggheads) was more important than how many were watching it.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:35 PM

14,538 posts, read 21,375,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Star Trek fans claim the show was more popular than the ratings suggested. Perhaps who was watching it (eggheads and aspiring eggheads) was more important than how many were watching it.
It was also a casualty of cost. You could make to cheap sitcoms, be pretty much assured there was an audience, and fill the space for what a half or more of what Trek cost. And the advertisers were not sure what audience to aim at. They knew there was one, just not the usual. If CBS had paid any attention the fandom which started during the first season, and the intensity of it, and if things had been closer to today, they just might have not given up. Today things are made for target markets but then it was to sell more soup. Today the sorts of things which trek fandom is willing to spend their money on is very much mainstream.

I love how despite all the jokes and belief that it would all go away, the techies and the nerds and the ones they joked about turned out to be the winners. Live Long and Prosper.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Yes, and the generation who wanted to make all the techie goodies real. What would your average person have said if you'd told them in fifty years, laptops and smart phones and all the other toys we take absolutely for granted now would be an expected part of life?

There is a starfleet combadge you can buy which links with your smart phone. Keep it in your pocket and wear your combadge. It beeps if you get a call. Tap it and answer. Continue speaking hands free. Tap it to hang up. It responds to voice commands too. Say Call Mom, and it will dial for you.

I SO want one. I could even wear it on my Starfleet uniform.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:46 PM

102,491 posts, read 109,011,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Mary Ann, Mary Ann, Mary Ann, and banana cream pie.
It was about Mary Ann? I thought the attraction was about Gilligan, in part, who used to play "beatnik" Maynard G. Krebs, in the (now ancient history) Dobie Gillis show. He was a character, kind of a goofy type, who had a following.

One could ask the same question of a lot of shows back then. For example, anything with Mary Tyler Moore in it, and similar "working girl" shows. I guess those were a counterbalance to all the shows about stereotypical suburban families. Single women in the working world were somewhat of a novelty at the time, at least to the viewing audience.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It was about Mary Ann? I thought the attraction was about Gilligan, in part, who used to play "beatnik" Maynard G. Krebs, in the (now ancient history) Dobie Gillis show. He was a character, kind of a goofy type, who had a following.

One could ask the same question of a lot of shows back then. For example, anything with Mary Tyler Moore in it, and similar "working girl" shows. I guess those were a counterbalance to all the shows about stereotypical suburban families. Single women in the working world were somewhat of a novelty at the time, at least to the viewing audience.
Mary Tyler Moore's show is a major leap in television. You had a single working woman who was quite happy about it and not out looking, and was a voice for all the women who had made it and those who dreamed of.

A lot of the shows then were symptomatic of change. Even Gilligans Island, which was just meant as comedy, had people who had involuntarily dropped out and push comes to shove were really in no hurry to get rescued back the the busy real world.

It's also true that there's a direct line between Manard and Gilligan. They both were a part of the movement by some to 'drop out' of the norm and had their different drummers. Now, if Dobie had been on that boat????

Old 08-07-2017, 01:14 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,317,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
She ruined her own career by being a bad actress.
I haven't seen it, but I understand that her film debut in "God's Little Acre" was well-received. She was very good in her role in the original of "The Stepford Wives".

I think she was hampered more by just not getting particularly good roles in not particularly good pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV