Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 09:25 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,523,306 times

Advertisements

I watched it all the time as a kid and teenager. Now, in my late 40s - I can't stand it.

I do like some old shows still - like the Andy Griffith Show and Sanford and Son. But, I can no longer watch Green Acres, Doby Gillis, I Dream of Jeannie, and some others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 09:45 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,804,967 times
Consider this: It does not appear to have ever appeared on free/bundled streaming. I've waited for years for it to pop up on Netflix, Hulu or even a free channel like CW Seed; it remains a pay-only item from Amazon, Vudu etc.

I highly recommend Russell Johnson's book on the show. By far the most interesting, personal and down-to-earth.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:28 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,695,578 times
I was a regular watcher of Dobie Gillis, but when Gilligan's Island came on I thought it was stupid and nothing has happened to change my opinion.

What is remarkable is that Gilligan's Island started the season after Dobie Gillis ended.

I liked Maynard G. Krebs (if I recall correctly the G. stood for Alfred "my father couldn't spell") but looking back on it now I think the Dobie Gillis show is almost unwatchable.

Another interesting fact about the show is that Sheila Kuehl, the actor who played Zelda Gilroy, went on to a career and politics, serving as the first openly gay legislator in California. She still serves as a member of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:43 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,848,761 times
The late Jerry Van Dyke turned down the role of Gilligan, choosing to do “My Mother the Car” instead.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:45 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,980,370 times
Been decades, I remember the show always having a fun vibe. Good chemistry with the stars is essential. The Seinfeld cast, Captain Kirk and Spock, Matt Dillon and Fester and Kitty and Doc, the Friends cast, Andy Griffith and Barney Fife etc.

I confess to watching little sitcom TV since the 70's. I like clean programming as a rule.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:08 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,261,078 times
Gilligan's island ran only 3-years. First year was B&W. Most times you see only the color years. You can easily buy the C- box set of the 3-years. The Technicolor is bright and clear. Luckily they did it on film. It is timeless slapstick, simple and doesn't show outdated as each wore a stereotypical dress in a tropical setting.

The Munster, Adam's Family (also running only 3-years), I Dream of Jeanie and Bewitched ..... were all stereotypical sitcom/comedies and stood the test of time in uniqueness and look. All you can purchase box-set C-D's. I believe both I Dream of Jeanie and Bewitched .... have their first B&W years colorized in the sets. Both ran many years. All in the Family also is available and timeless still.

For me the 60s shows seem like children shows today. Like human cartoons of sorts. But still I like them as I also grew up with their re-runs. More even Millennial's know of these shows then you would think. Though viewing them on TV is less likely today.

The most ridicules series as human cartoons .... was the original TV Batman series. I don't think a official box-set is available. Some sighs you can buy off TV public recorded sets. They are legal .... especial from other countries.

I will always love these shows and Gilligan's Island is one.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:24 AM

8,525 posts, read 6,952,914 times
Because it’s the perfect definition of a farce an entertainment genre that some people find funny.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:31 AM

2,019 posts, read 1,657,677 times
Loved the show as a kid, its about as silly as you can get ,while every show had it mistakes, this show took it to the extreme.One of my fav episodes is the dont bug the mosquites episode(obligatory rock and roll episode)we have 4 band members all their equipment food supplies medical supplies clothes and so on all arrive on the island in a 2 seater helicopter.Actually one seat since the other seat is for the pilot.The highlight is the concert they give, great sound even though no guitar is plugged in which doesnt matter since there are no amps, and that doesnt matter since there is no electricity anyway. Personally I enjoyed the you need us song by the honeybees,its actually a pretty catchy song.And lucky for us the girls packed their white go go boots for a 3 hr tour. Sillyness to the extreme.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:54 AM

5,465 posts, read 4,091,820 times
As a young gal I had a crush on the Professor. Even then I was attracted to the intellectual type.

As an adult I enjoyed seeing Alan Hale in older movies, like Robin Hood with Errol Flynn.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:03 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,848,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
As a young gal I had a crush on the Professor. Even then I was attracted to the intellectual type.

As an adult I enjoyed seeing Alan Hale in older movies, like Robin Hood with Errol Flynn.
That was Alan Hale, Senior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV