Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 12:39 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,563,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
nitokenshi-

Buying organic costs MORE, not less. This makes her spending all the more commendable. She's a coupon/sale wizard.

I think they're an amazing family. I love how they make it work. It's nice to have a show I can watch with my kids that we all enjoy.
She says on one of the episodes that $150/week is just her bill at ONE of the stores she goes to and that she definitely spends more than that.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:23 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,225,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobjuan View Post
I love this show! I think the only people who have the right to criticize J&K are those who have the same amount of kids at the same ages and do it better! I have 2 kids 3 years apart and that was all I could do. When I see the strategizing that has to happen for them to take a simple trip to the mall, I am flabbergasted and exhausted all at once.

Haters need to get a life of their own instead of envying what they don't have!
It isn't that I "hate" them, but the show itself is hyped up and they (Jon & Kate) think they are the only parents in the world.

As far as the "strategizing" of going places.... they knew they were having a huge set of multiples via the help of modern science, parenting with any amount of sibs (no matter) the age range is no walk in the park at times. Where would they be if they hadn't been selected to be "Big Brothered" for entertainment?

Old 07-02-2008, 06:52 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,652,006 times
I think they'd be just fine.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:10 AM

23,913 posts, read 33,731,226 times
This is from the Jon & Kate web site (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon&Kate website
8. How do we spend only $150 per week on groceries for a family of ten? We spend that much ONLY at one store. In other words, due to editing, it seems that we only spend that much period...not entirely true! I shop at discount stores locally (great source of organic foods extremely well priced) as well as at Sam's club every other month or so. We also do not buy our meat at the grocery store. We buy it in bulk at organic wholesale places. Bottom line: We pay as little as possible for organic/nutritious foods for our family because it is important to us! I really can't say what it avererages per month total......maybe between 600-800 per month? Hard to say!
So, $150 x 4 (weeks) = $600, she says $600 to $800 per month so it would be anywhere from $150 - $200 per week & like all families, it probably depends on what she has to replace in the kitchen.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:49 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,412,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
They buy organic only thats why it is so much

I really really hope that women that watches the kids is getting money too. She has to watch her own kids + their 8 children!!!!
I can't remember what episode, but I'm pretty sure I saw her more then once with the shopping cart full of non-organic stuff.
I don't really have a problem with that, I do have a problem with her proclaiming that 90% of her groceries are organic, (when it's not) because it can make a lot of families feel inferiour. Additionally $150/week for 10 people is really not that much.

With that said, I feel like a failure every time I watch this show. Here she has 8 children, 6 of them are toddlers and her house is clean, and her children are clean and she is not losing her sanity.
Here I am, can't keep up with one child!

Old 07-03-2008, 12:19 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,650,834 times
I come from a large family (no multiples unless you count 'Irish twins"!) I have 4 sisters and 3 brothers. My own family consists of one boy and one girl and I have to say, it's easier physically to take care of a large family because you don't have to provide too much in the way of entertainment. Kids entertain themselves when in groups.

Financially? She's a smart cookie and an admitted anal personality. If she's not the queen of coupons, she's at least royalty. I am sure she gets all kinds of donations to have certain products on the show. Product placement is HUGE!!

Old 07-03-2008, 01:55 PM

181 posts, read 632,797 times
I do think the same thing and if you take the meat off the bill isn't that much. I'm sure like the cooking class that Mady and Kara took the owner gave them a deal if not free to just have the publicity. I'm mean they made a point of showing the sign and then went into detail. That kind of coverage on TV would be very expensive. I'm not taking away anything from all they do. I have worked in daycare and had 8 kids all the same age in one room. It isn't easy. But Kate is very anal some stuff she puts on herself because of the way everything has to be. WAs I the only one who felt sorry for the one child who was sick and throwing up and had to lay on the floor in the laundry room. WEll the other thought i had that Kate;s floors are most likley cleaner than any of mine.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:32 PM

631 posts, read 1,889,583 times
Oh I'm sure they have plenty of items donated. I don't blame them for that, its a win win situation for both sides. The product or company gets exposure and the the Goesling family gets a little help. On one episode they mentioned that a local hair salon is giving the kids free haircuts until age 6 (i think this was the cut off age). They are making the best of their situation and I respect that. No one's perfect and I don't sense them saying they are perfect and everyone should be like them. To me they are just showing a little slice of their life.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:29 PM

23,913 posts, read 33,731,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I can't remember what episode, but I'm pretty sure I saw her more then once with the shopping cart full of non-organic stuff.
I don't really have a problem with that, I do have a problem with her proclaiming that 90% of her groceries are organic, (when it's not) because it can make a lot of families feel inferiour. Additionally $150/week for 10 people is really not that much.

Was it an older episode? The organic is pretty new, since the show was picked up. Before when it was a special she said she liked to shop that way but couldn't for everything.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:49 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,412,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Was it an older episode? The organic is pretty new, since the show was picked up. Before when it was a special she said she liked to shop that way but couldn't for everything.
Actually it could be...it was one of the reruns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV