Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 01:49 PM

22,953 posts, read 28,371,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
I wish it was staying more true to the book. I read the novel when it first came out and I have to say that the show has veered way off of the mark from the book. There are major characters that have died in the show that didn't in the book, and vice versa. I also can't see the show ending in the same fashion as the book.

I'm hooked on the show and think it's great, it's just so different from the book. For example, the entire book happened in less than a week...I believe it occured in a little over 4 days. The show is going to take place over a much longer period.
I like that it's departing from the book, because I didn't like the book all that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 02:28 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,753,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I like that it's departing from the book, because I didn't like the book all that much.
I like that as well because even those that read the book will be surprised. I figured as much when it was "based on the SK book" thus not a screen play.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:43 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,212,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
I wish it was staying more true to the book. I read the novel when it first came out and I have to say that the show has veered way off of the mark from the book. There are major characters that have died in the show that didn't in the book, and vice versa. I also can't see the show ending in the same fashion as the book.

I'm hooked on the show and think it's great, it's just so different from the book. For example, the entire book happened in less than a week...I believe it occured in a little over 4 days. The show is going to take place over a much longer period.
Yes, ratings have been great, so they will extend it as long as they can. I haven't read the book, but I read a spoiler, so I know a little about it.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:04 PM

304 posts, read 473,398 times
I have been blogging on the Dome for the last six weeks; if you have time take a look.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:54 PM

1,499 posts, read 892,936 times
Default should I bother to read the book??

Have always been a Stephen King fan...but in this media age have been reading less and less

I think this show is quite good..and as others have said...a relief from all the crazy reality shows..

Don't want to spoil anything by reading the book now...

Any thoughts??

also thanks to those who told how to get CBS via computer if this Time Warner debacle continues...luckily we only have it at our vacation home..but gotta say I sure would not want to go out there if CBS continues to be blocked..

Not to mention that TWC sure better credit us something...

thanks guys

Old 08-16-2013, 03:13 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,308,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
Have always been a Stephen King fan...but in this media age have been reading less and less

I think this show is quite good..and as others have said...a relief from all the crazy reality shows..

Don't want to spoil anything by reading the book now...

Any thoughts??

also thanks to those who told how to get CBS via computer if this Time Warner debacle continues...luckily we only have it at our vacation home..but gotta say I sure would not want to go out there if CBS continues to be blocked..

Not to mention that TWC sure better credit us something...

thanks guys
I'll bet Dish is getting a LOT of calls right now. I have cable internet and have ongoing problems with Suddenlink and wish Dish had its high speed internet available here. Will never 'bundle' anything again. Cable companies are finding people are using other sources now and trying their best not to lose subscribers so it is odd they'd cut out major networks...but then maybe not.

I love the mystery about the dome and now the egg since being Steven King, its got lots of possibilities for an explanation, and the trapped inside a nightmare psychology going on at the human level. It did have a sort of slow start but is building nicely. I'm looking forward to a marathon next.

A cable company crediting you anything???

Back a few years ago, when Jericho was on, CBS discovered just how much the online audience matters, as they hadn't quite yet, and now they do. I don't know anyone who always watches a show at broadcast time anymore, with online, huluplus, other feeds and the trusty dvr.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:07 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,799,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
CBS has requested a season 2.
That's the problem with TV series, so long as the ratings are high, the network will demand yet another season out of the show. It could be a great 13 episode TV show that has a great story line and ending, but after the network demands more and more seasons out of it, it could be an incoherent mess by the time the writers re-write it over and over to stretch out the series. Not to mention the network demanding changes to the show. Take one example (and there's lot's of examples), "Land of the Lost", the first season was pretty good, but the network feared some children wouldn't understand it and demanded the writers dumb down the show, so the season season sucked.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:02 PM

21,504 posts, read 10,627,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Same here, but two things do not make sense to me.
Being in the dome would be like a green house so they should be sweating.
When there is a fire particurly the propane fire, I grabbed a snow globe and shook it and told my partner wouldnt this happen.
The show is a lot different from the book, but in the book when there was a fire (near the end of the story) it was a disaster. They hinted at it early in the show, but the dome cuts off most of the airflow from the outside. The book also talked about the dome getting so dingy it was hard to see the outside world, but in the show it's completely clear.

With so many different characters and storylines than the book, I have absolutely no idea how this is going to end.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:10 PM

21,504 posts, read 10,627,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
CBS has requested a season 2.
That's disappointing. I wanted a resolution at the end of this season. I've read the book, but it appears the plot veered away from the book as soon as they decided to add another season. It wasn't my favorite King book, so I'm okay with the change. I just hope it doesn't go too long and then I lose interest. So far, I'm hooked. I think most of the casting is good, especially Big Jim Rennie. I've never seen that guy before, but he really makes this show in my opinion.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:51 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,212,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
That's disappointing. I wanted a resolution at the end of this season. I've read the book, but it appears the plot veered away from the book as soon as they decided to add another season. It wasn't my favorite King book, so I'm okay with the change. I just hope it doesn't go too long and then I lose interest. So far, I'm hooked. I think most of the casting is good, especially Big Jim Rennie. I've never seen that guy before, but he really makes this show in my opinion.
Rent or stream episodes of Breaking Bad. You are seriously missing out if you haven't watched that series, and he's great in it.

I also wanted a resolution at the end, but ratings were good, so they will likely keep dragging it out as long as they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV