Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 02:22 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,213,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiggan View Post
Well horse puckies. They killed off Sabrina's aunt. Was kind of watching because I like her as an actress.

Token crowd out of control episode. Meh.

Since insulin is a liquid and depending on the osmosis rate, the outside authorities may be able to pump insulin through the dome to help the diabetics.

Really don't like the 'incompetent government' trope being used. No communication with the towns people. Missile fired with no warning. No attempt to help at all other than some token reunion with the families split apart by the dome.

I don't get why the government doesn't set up camp on the main road going into town. Outputting text to a large screen tv hooked up to a lap top would be sufficient. The towns people would only need one of those portable chalk boards from the local school on their end to write on if they can't do the same or can't keep their electrical equipment going.

Once communications are established I would think the scientists would be eager to get somebody inside the dome to do experiments for them to test things on the town side of the dome.

Also survival experts could be telling the people what they should be doing to cope with the inevitable loss of tech. Since we've seen wind blowing inside the dome, some engineers could be showing the mechanics in town on how to hook up a power generator to a windmill to create power.

Beyond that I'm sure the families split apart would at least like to keep in regular contact with their loved ones stuck in town. Also putting up a newspaper on a pin board would keep people inside the dome informed of what's going on outside.

Not sure how Big Jim got elected to the town council. The guy's pretty incompetent as well. He should be less reactive and more proactive. Here are things BJ should already know:

1. Water supply for the town. Big Jim should have had those wells already listed and ready to go. He should have people recheck any wells that are thought to be dry. Also aerating the lake water will get rid of the methane.

2. Food. Should already have met with the local farmers to see what acreage would be needed to be planted to feed the town, how much manpower will be needed to manually plant, maintain and harvest the fields. Also how much seed is available to planet to grow crops and how seed stock can be maintained for next planting season. Citizens also should be asked to plant gardens to supplement the crops coming from the fields. Also those dead fish at the lake should be carted off to a freezer unit before they spoil.

3. Electricity. As mentioned before looks like the town gets windy, so some kind of electrical generator could be hooked up to a windmill(s) to recharge devices or supply critical areas such as the hospital with electricity. Not a constant supply, but anything is better than nothing. Horses can also be used to crank generators. Build a big enough wheel to put a horse in and attach it to the generator. If there are any old water mills in town, they can be used as well.

4. Transportation. Inventory all the bicycles in the dome and put them into public use. Inventory all horses in the dome and start making plans for studding for more horses taking in account how much land is available to feed the increased horse population. Also plan an area to park vehicles that have run out of gas. No use clogging the street with rusting hulks.

Nothing against King, but he needs to think through the scenarios he builds.
Good ideas but if this were happening in real life most of the people under the dome wouldn't live long enough to harvest any gardens or crops. These folks are going to be dying soon since their food supply is cut off and they robbed & killed for it now. What will it be like in another week?

Big Jim is just like real politicians they aren't there to represent & protect the people they are there for the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 03:11 PM

3,989 posts, read 5,023,907 times
Also, let's NOT forget it's Stephen King...you can say all you like that he didn't plan his story but if I have his history to go on, he HAS planned for everything. It just won't be conventional. It won't be normal in any way. We can't apply regular survival strategy to the dome yet...oh, the people are going to do all the things we expect them to...but then we'll get some answers and it'll start to play out.

I've been worried about their medicine situation (as I'd be screwed-I'm a diabetic) BUT...the Dome provides. The two kids are going to be key in how the dome survives. Also, maybe the rest of the world is totally being screwed by other forces and the dome came down to protect these people. Maybe the babies that are born in the dome will never need meds, or will be special in some way. I'm thinking far-fetched but again, this is Stephen King. That's the reason I'm sticking around...I know it's going to pay off. JMO...

Old 07-31-2013, 03:14 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,255,683 times
I watched a few minutes of this carp and it was the most poorly acted mess I remember seeing ever.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:41 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,170,920 times
This week's episode was pretty cringeworthy. I wish Barbie would go for Angie instead of the red-haired woman (her name escapes me). Barbie could protect the poor girl and enrage Junior even more.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:47 PM

380 posts, read 377,268 times
**Spoiler**

I forgot about the ant farm aspect of the novel and was thinking of a non-interventionist situation. Maybe I better do my research as well.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:56 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,839,131 times
I like the idea of the show, but feel it has been put together sooo poorly. The acting is atrocious. That lady cop. Omg, come on. Terrible! And the outside world just picks up and leaves. There would be 24/7 tests, communication, etc going on. They would have taken an inventory of all the vacant homes and went to them for supplies.

I keep watching hoping something miraculous happens, but it's just terrible. How about when there was a near riot waiting in line to get water. He gave the one guy batteries, which let that one person in the store, and everything went back to normal? Ohh, okay.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:54 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,295,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
I like the idea of the show, but feel it has been put together sooo poorly. The acting is atrocious. That lady cop. Omg, come on. Terrible! And the outside world just picks up and leaves. There would be 24/7 tests, communication, etc going on. They would have taken an inventory of all the vacant homes and went to them for supplies.

I keep watching hoping something miraculous happens, but it's just terrible. How about when there was a near riot waiting in line to get water. He gave the one guy batteries, which let that one person in the store, and everything went back to normal? Ohh, okay.
Agree the acting is not so great and I think that it hasn't been that long, days maybe, since the dome, and the people still hope somehow it will go away. When the water was lost it just really started to hit and after the missle left the dome intack.

Just why they fired a missle which would kill the ones inside if it worked, and why they weren't trying to communicate if the big mystery. It isn't the doing of the government, but they know more than they are letting on and if they were willing to destroy it and the people trapped together, then they don't like what they know. That is the mystery which keeps me paying attention.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:11 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,255,683 times
From the ill rehearsed silliness I saw, there will be some fantastical solution but not before 3/4 of them die in ridiculous ways.

Did someone say it was written by Stephen King? No wonder I hate it.

Prepare for everyone to have sex with the hot girl, then the dome will evaporate, like "It" which is the most sexist load of bs I have ever accidentally read (I was young OK).

All recorded on hand-cam. Top notch, didn't see that one coming from a mile away.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:22 AM

108 posts, read 259,945 times
Still on the fence about this show, the acting is a bit suspect and many of the characters are irritating or boring.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:48 AM

22,947 posts, read 28,342,995 times
The plot seems sort of directionless at this point. It's less of an ongoing story and more of a "problem of the week."

And yes, quite a few of the actors need lessons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV