Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2013, 07:15 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

What struck me was seeing the wedding picture of Betty and Dan Broderick and realizing how much Linda looked liked her when she was young.

Murdering Dan and Linda is not justified, and Betty belongs in prison, but Dan took a risk when he tossed her aside and Linda took a risk when she moved in on another woman's husband. Sometimes you don't pay for what you do. Sometimes you pay big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 10:51 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Betty is knitting with only one needle.
Exactly.

Any sympathy I have for her is only because she is mentally ill.

Psychiatrists who evaluated her had their hands full for sure.

Because she has BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) she still believes she was the "victim"

The Broderick children and Dan & Linda are the real victims.

More about BPD...

These persons function somewhere in between a state of neurosis and psychoticism.

They are not obviously crazy. But, they are dictated mostly by inner impulses, which makes their behavior fantasy-based, self-centered, and, at times, antisocial.

Nonetheless, the line between the real world and their inner processes is a fragile one, indeed. This is because borderline persons have limited to no ability to use the executive area of the brain (Frontal Lobes) to consider the effect of their impulses on themselves and other people.

They are limited greatly in the ability to self-govern themselves through mental processes, so that they rarely reflect upon, learn from, or give meaning to experience that can grow them.

They have what is clinically referred to as a fragile, immature ego, which is essentially to say that the capacities of the brain’s frontal lobes are insufficiently developed.

Their fragile ego is also why they have great difficulty defusing powerful emotions of hurt, sadness, and anger through reasoned thinking. Thus, their reactions are often self-centered, destructive, and out of control, which can lead them to threaten harm to themselves or to other people.

It’s no wonder that people experience them as self-indulgent.

And, only adding to the perception that they are self-absorbed is their inability to consider how their behavior impacts other people.

But, their lack of empathy is less from self-preoccupation than it is from an inability to reflect upon other persons’ frustration and pain.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:15 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Dan did his share of victimization. He did not care for his children when he treated their mother horribly.

Or when he mocked her about her weight and fined her. Or when he treated her like a child and denied her money that was due to a woman of her social standing.

Leaving $50 a week for a family of five while he gallivants through Europe? That's cruel.

I have sympathy for abused children who kill their abusive parents.

I also have sympathy for abused women who kil their abusers.

This was "white collar abuse" - he didn't beat her up physically - but he beat her up emotionally and psychologically.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:31 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,647,878 times
Well, whatever "diagnosis" she had or whatever her behaviors were, the bottom line is when you push someone who's already on the edge...this is what you get. Why her husband and his new wife couldn't see to back down, let her alone, mediate their own emotions/responses. When you see someone is out of control, you don't push them more, and he did. Through his arrogance, stupidity or both. Then, you see, it was a power play. I mean, did he think he was gonna "win" this one?! He called her "crazy," then antagonized her more through his behaviors/actions. Now, who was really the "crazy" one??

Old 07-11-2013, 01:02 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,587,680 times
Emotional abuse and ambient abuse in a bad marriage can be as destructive as physical. While Betty has to live with her reactions, her reaction was from being psychologically abused and ongoingly provoked by Dan Broderick.

Broderick well knew what he was doing, if you read the book. It was karma. He had the intellect to step away when he knew her mental issues, but he chose not to. And Kolkena was hardly a sterling character.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:36 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Emotional abuse and ambient abuse in a bad marriage can be as destructive as physical. While Betty has to live with her reactions, her reaction was from being psychologically abused and ongoingly provoked by Dan Broderick.

Broderick well knew what he was doing, if you read the book. It was karma. He had the intellect to step away when he knew her mental issues, but he chose not to. And Kolkena was hardly a sterling character.
DB and LK were Pieces of crap and sometimes kids dont see that so they automatically think the custodial parent is wrong and that daddy and step mommy are fun land and Mommy is the bad guy and yeah I dont think DB and LK were sterling charecters at all and I also dont believe they deserved to die for it though .

Old 07-11-2013, 02:18 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
DB and LK were Pieces of crap and sometimes kids dont see that so they automatically think the custodial parent is wrong and that daddy and step mommy are fun land and Mommy is the bad guy and yeah I dont think DB and LK were sterling charecters at all and I also dont believe they deserved to die for it though .
Agreed. kolkena was a gold digger, pure and simple, who could not perform simple office work in DB's law office.

The Brodericks were a well to to well educated family. Kolkena also failed at her job as a flight attendant.

It seems that her skills lied elsewhere - perhaps in the bedroom?

Old 07-11-2013, 02:46 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,500,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Agreed. kolkena was a gold digger, pure and simple, who could not perform simple office work in DB's law office.

The Brodericks were a well to to well educated family. Kolkena also failed at her job as a flight attendant.

It seems that her skills lied elsewhere - perhaps in the bedroom?
Of course. She was young, blonde, trophy-wife beautiful, made a middle aged man who was apparently going through a mid-life crisis feel young again, and I would bet my right arm she was uninhibited in bed, unlike the boring, middle-aged wife of what, 20 years or so, who had borne 4 children and didn't look like the model "young thang" she was when she married this now middle aged man himself. Egotistical men look out for themselves, ie riches, trophy wife, influence, power, impressing other egotistical men, and to he** with their wives who have been by their sides all along, or their kids, who end up being "collateral damage".

I don't condone Betty's actions, but I can see how she ended up doing what she did. Mental illness is a terrible condition that is not given the importance it should have.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:50 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

Yep. That's why folks should think before they act. What goes around comes around.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:08 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,647,878 times
Do you think the new wife egged on Betty? I know there's some controversy over what she actually did/wrote to her, etc. Anyone know more about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime