Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 08:30 AM

753 posts, read 1,483,578 times

Advertisements

She had my sympathy until she started using her kids as pawns-leaving them on his doorstep, trying to turn them against him, and leaving horrible phone messages for their benefit as well as for his.

Wanted to add: The husband and his lover were jerks but certainly didn't deserve to die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 10:59 AM

8,818 posts, read 21,295,327 times
Remember that case in Westchester, NY about thirty years ago? A doctor (Dr. Tarnower) was shot by his mistress Jean Harris , for similiar reasons and she gave the same defense ("I really meant to kill myself"). There was a lot of sympathy for her and her sentence was commuted and she has been out of jail for years.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-01-2012, 06:38 PM

16,076 posts, read 28,580,749 times
More differences than similarities in the two cases.

Jean Harris was offered bail until trial, Betty wasn't.

Psychiatrists didn't testify at either trial.

Jean Harris said they struggled for the gun and how the gun expelled.

Betty said it was an accident too, but she ripped the phone from the wall so they couldn't call for help.

They both were convicted of second degree murder, Betty on two counts a total of 32yrs.

Betty had a list of charges filled by Dan Broderick before the murders, personal injury and property damage.

Jean Harris did something productive with her time incarcerated.

Betty Broderick....nothing.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:40 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,278,120 times
I have no sympathy for Betty, she is a cold blooded murderer.

I know she went through A LOT (some would say her hub got what he deserved) but at the end of the day she ruined her kids lives by doing what she did.

She wasn't thinking of ANYONE else but herself and her own revenge. She deserves to sit in jail for the rest of her life IMO.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:47 PM

8,894 posts, read 5,383,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Two of her now adult kids were against, two for her release in the 2010 parole hearing. One daughter wanted Betty to move in with her.

Parole hearing comes up again in 2013. After seeing what Betty did to their father, they're wary of her stability. I don't see a parole in her near future.
I would hope that daughter who wants Betty to move in with her doesn't have children living with her.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:55 PM

8,894 posts, read 5,383,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Her kids were entitled, vicious and greedy. .
Wonder where they learned that?

Old 05-05-2012, 11:28 AM

88,654 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Remember that case in Westchester, NY about thirty years ago? A doctor (Dr. Tarnower) was shot by his mistress Jean Harris , for similiar reasons and she gave the same defense ("I really meant to kill myself"). There was a lot of sympathy for her and her sentence was commuted and she has been out of jail for years.
He wasn't just a doctor, he was the Scarsdale Diet doctor!

Jean Harris did a lot of good in prison, helping underprivileged women in prison get their GEDs and get ready for life on the outside (she was a teacher).

Old 05-09-2012, 06:19 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,543,889 times
Betty is mentally ill. I have compassion for mentally ill folks but what she did was criminal. You don't get a pass just b/c you can't cope. Murder is murder.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,433 times
what good is it having betty stay in jail? she has served a good amount of years. i believe they should give her parole, let her live with her daughter, but....make part of her parole, that she must attend therapy. her kids have suffered the most. betty is now 62 or 63. she can never take it back or make it up to her children, but hopefully, she can salvage something positive and good with her children.
i don't believe that dan & linda were the only victims here. there are quite a few others. but one has to ask their self....why would a girl in her 20's be interested/in love with a 40 something lawyer/doctor??? answer: $$$$$$$.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:20 PM

16,076 posts, read 28,580,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie1608 View Post
what good is it having betty stay in jail? she has served a good amount of years. i believe they should give her parole, let her live with her daughter, but....make part of her parole, that she must attend therapy. her kids have suffered the most. betty is now 62 or 63. she can never take it back or make it up to her children, but hopefully, she can salvage something positive and good with her children.
i don't believe that dan & linda were the only victims here. there are quite a few others. but one has to ask their self....why would a girl in her 20's be interested/in love with a 40 something lawyer/doctor??? answer: $$$$$$$.
She can't live in society and resume a normal functional life.

From whats been reported, she hasn't progressed much since the murders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime