Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2010, 05:45 PM

33 posts, read 197,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.o.s View Post
Toledo, Ohio now in 2010 has a crime rate higher than Miami, Florida. With over 200+ Street Gangs. The city is in so much turmoil that if you live in these neighborhoods you could really give a **** less about what happens downtown. Throughout the 80's and Early-Mid 90's The Murder Rate Sky-Rocketed due to Crack-Cocaine and Gang Violence. Then died down for awhile, but now is starting to Really Pick Up!
Crime in Toledo is now pretty high compared to other cities in Ohio, particularly arsons (now a higher rate than Detroit). Toledo is on track to be highest in the state in pretty much everything except murder and rape (likely beaten by Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Dayton). The arson and assault rates are horrendous and look even worse when compared nationally. The police are incredibly understaffed. I'd go as far saying no other city in America is stretched so thin. In the past couple of years, Toledo has really gone to the gutter. Keep in mind this city and the entire Northwest Ohio region was obliterated by the recession on a level only really seen in places like Detroit and Youngstown. Things have gotten much worse, and the economy is about as bad as it gets. Median incomes have plummeted over the past decade and labor participation rates for men are some of the worst in the country. Toledo ranks bottom ten in the nation for per capita income. It now also ranks top ten in terms of poverty. Things are getting ugly in the Glass City. Hell, even the water in the area is getting dirtier. The toxic algae is probably the worst it has ever been in Maumee Bay. That does nothing to help the city's image. Water is what sets Toledo apart, but so much potential is being destroyed by farm runoff/pollution. It's a frustrating thing to say the least.

Five to ten years ago, Toledo was still pretty nice, if not a little rundown and gritty. Sure it had its seedy areas and good jobs were never easy to come by, but there was a lot more optimism and friendliness. It felt a lot safer and there just wasn't as much destruction (talking literal destruction in terms of arsons). What a difference a few years can make. So many streets have been transformed by arsons that gap-toothed urban corridors are sadly the norm. It pains me to say it, but it is becoming Detroit. Downtown Toledo is still pretty nice, but the rest of the city is going to hell. What's damning is how widespread crime is becoming. Crime seems more diffuse in Toledo than in other big cities (meaning there are fewer "good neighborhoods"). Family-oriented neighborhoods like Five Points are even seeing an uptick. It's not just gang and drug related. There is a lot of crime of desperation, the kind you expect in third world countries, not America. Random crimes have increased, and that is what is so disturbing. Just the other week, a college student was murdered over 35 cents and a pack of cigarettes. I can't recall another crime that senseless in the history of UT. Some suburban areas like Springfield and Sylvania Township are also starting to see serious crimes (even murder), something that was unheard of ten years ago. There really isn't any place that is being spared (well, maybe Perrysburg).

What makes the Toledo/Northwest Ohio region different from other parts of the country is how widespread the economic problems have become. Good jobs are nearly impossible to come by everywhere from Sandusky to Napolean. Even Findlay has gotten pretty bad. You're seeing widespread poverty and crime in small towns that have never experienced it before.

In metro Detroit, at least there is still Oakland County. Southeast Michigan still has a large population of middle class wealth. In Northwest Ohio, there is nothing on that level. The whole region has kind of collapsed. It's really sad because there is so much potential in Toledo. You get a real sense that it was once a grand urban center. The city has some real architectural gems and world-class institutions, just not an economy to back it up.

Last edited by C-Dawg; 07-28-2010 at 06:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,130 times
My daughter went to University of Toledo and absolutely had the time of her life! We have lived in Toledo for the last 20 years and can say that this is our home. We have the Mud Hens, a great zoo, plenty of great restaurants, wonderful parks! I can honestly say that we have enjoyed living here. We have lived in Miami, FL, Ann Arbor, MI, the Detroit area-we like Toledo the best!

Old 07-29-2010, 12:25 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Dawg View Post
Crime in Toledo is now pretty high compared to other cities in Ohio, particularly arsons (now a higher rate than Detroit). Toledo is on track to be highest in the state in pretty much everything except murder and rape (likely beaten by Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Dayton). The arson and assault rates are horrendous and look even worse when compared nationally. The police are incredibly understaffed. I'd go as far saying no other city in America is stretched so thin. In the past couple of years, Toledo has really gone to the gutter. Keep in mind this city and the entire Northwest Ohio region was obliterated by the recession on a level only really seen in places like Detroit and Youngstown. Things have gotten much worse, and the economy is about as bad as it gets. Median incomes have plummeted over the past decade and labor participation rates for men are some of the worst in the country. Toledo ranks bottom ten in the nation for per capita income. It now also ranks top ten in terms of poverty. Things are getting ugly in the Glass City. Hell, even the water in the area is getting dirtier. The toxic algae is probably the worst it has ever been in Maumee Bay. That does nothing to help the city's image. Water is what sets Toledo apart, but so much potential is being destroyed by farm runoff/pollution. It's a frustrating thing to say the least.

Five to ten years ago, Toledo was still pretty nice, if not a little rundown and gritty. Sure it had its seedy areas and good jobs were never easy to come by, but there was a lot more optimism and friendliness. It felt a lot safer and there just wasn't as much destruction (talking literal destruction in terms of arsons). What a difference a few years can make. So many streets have been transformed by arsons that gap-toothed urban corridors are sadly the norm. It pains me to say it, but it is becoming Detroit. Downtown Toledo is still pretty nice, but the rest of the city is going to hell. What's damning is how widespread crime is becoming. Crime seems more diffuse in Toledo than in other big cities (meaning there are fewer "good neighborhoods"). Family-oriented neighborhoods like Five Points are even seeing an uptick. It's not just gang and drug related. There is a lot of crime of desperation, the kind you expect in third world countries, not America. Random crimes have increased, and that is what is so disturbing. Just the other week, a college student was murdered over 35 cents and a pack of cigarettes. I can't recall another crime that senseless in the history of UT. Some suburban areas like Springfield and Sylvania Township are also starting to see serious crimes (even murder), something that was unheard of ten years ago. There really isn't any place that is being spared (well, maybe Perrysburg).

What makes the Toledo/Northwest Ohio region different from other parts of the country is how widespread the economic problems have become. Good jobs are nearly impossible to come by everywhere from Sandusky to Napolean. Even Findlay has gotten pretty bad. You're seeing widespread poverty and crime in small towns that have never experienced it before.

In metro Detroit, at least there is still Oakland County. Southeast Michigan still has a large population of middle class wealth. In Northwest Ohio, there is nothing on that level. The whole region has kind of collapsed. It's really sad because there is so much potential in Toledo. You get a real sense that it was once a grand urban center. The city has some real architectural gems and world-class institutions, just not an economy to back it up.
Hang in there Toledo. I'm a Detroiter and I've always thought of Toledo as our great Ohio neighbor. I think the Midwest has had some tough times, but there are positive things starting to happen in Detroit right now. Hopefully, things will be on the up-tick soon for you folks too. Take care!

Old 07-29-2010, 09:20 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,243 times
I stick up for Toledo and Ohio every chance I get. There is a lot of OH bashing down here and there is even a website called GOBACKTOOHIO.com (which I just checked and is being updated, I believe) dedicated to insulting/criticizing Ohio and Ohioans. I doubt most of these people have ever visited the state or Toledo and have nothing to base their opinions on...other than a few rude tourists - but those come from everywhere!

I moved away 26 years ago to escape the winters, for employment, and to be closer to family....but I remain a loyal buckeye and won't stand by and let anyone bash my home state!

Old 07-29-2010, 10:12 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
Hang in there Toledo. I'm a Detroiter and I've always thought of Toledo as our great Ohio neighbor. I think the Midwest has had some tough times, but there are positive things starting to happen in Detroit right now. Hopefully, things will be on the up-tick soon for you folks too. Take care!
Well I think the "up-tick" is going much stronger for Toledo than Detroit. Toledo is suffering just like every city across the country right now, but no city is even close to what Detroit is going through. I hope something can save Detroit, there is too much history there, and so much of it gets lost everyday.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:19 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,426 times
Detroit actually is getting 4700 jobs added downtown, good news! Hopefully Toledo will see this kind of growth as well

Old 07-31-2010, 08:44 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Dawg View Post

This is simply a lie. There are many areas in the Toledo area that are wealthy and doing fine. Perrysburg, Sylvania, Waterville, Monclova, Maumee, Ottawa Hills...maybe new construction has slowed to a crawl, but otherwise there are still many, many wealthy people in this area. Not many people are aware that the Toledo Museum of Art, ranked one of the best in the country, is supported solely by private donations, both corporate and personal. It isn't displaced factory workers who donate hundreds of thousands of dollars to the museum every year, or attend the symphony and opera events. Do yourself a favor, drive around the areas that I listed here and then feel free to come back and retract your statement.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:06 AM

53 posts, read 332,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Detroit actually is getting 4700 jobs added downtown, good news! Hopefully Toledo will see this kind of growth as well
Clarification required: Are there 4700 new jobs being created in downtown Detroit or are there 4700 existing jobs moving from the suburbs to downtown Detroit? Either way, it's a good thing.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:01 AM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_hungry_wanderer View Post
Clarification required: Are there 4700 new jobs being created in downtown Detroit or are there 4700 existing jobs moving from the suburbs to downtown Detroit? Either way, it's a good thing.
They are moving in jobs from the suburbs. This is great news for Detroit, probaly the best news they have had in years there. Unfortunately, these jobs are taking place in buildings that were left abandoned in the 2000s. Ford and Chrysler moving to the suburbs, and Comerica moving to Dallas. Even after this move there will still be a lot of abandoned skyscrapers in Detroit. Eitherway, Detroit has the best art deco skyline out there, and they need to start preserving it, and all Detroit has done was tear buildings down for miles and miles of parking lots. Just recently, a Cleveland based company (Forest City Enterprises) finished up its renovation of the Book Cadillac buildings, and it looks great. Probaly Detroit's best highrise now.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:45 PM

151 posts, read 413,864 times
To say "the whole region has collapsed" is really stretching it. If there weren't quite a few people with disposable income in the area, then no way would the museum, zoo, sports teams, festivals, etc. be viable.

But the area is starting to bear an alarming resemblance to metro Detroit. Blighted, impoverished central city surrounded by nice suburbs. And as long as the public schools are terrible, families who can afford it are going to continue leaving the city of Toledo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo