Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 08:15 PM

7 posts, read 57,321 times

Advertisements

I'm transferring to Toledo in two weeks. I want to live within 30 miles of W. Alexis and Jackman roads, but I can't decide on a locale. I've been researching Sylvania, Monclova, Perrysburg, Holland, Maumee, etc. I have also been looking at several cities in Monroe County, Michigan. I am married with no children yet, but would like a nice suburban area. I have rented a furnished apartment in Holland, but I have yet to go there.... Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 02:42 PM

154 posts, read 606,756 times
The nearest location to your job would be southern Michigan. Temperance, Bedford, or Lambertville. These places are close to Alexis and Jackman Rd's, but are suburban. The other places you mention are fine too, but not close. Just watch out for the red light cameras on Alexis.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:25 PM

11 posts, read 57,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehor View Post
I'm transferring to Toledo in two weeks. I want to live within 30 miles of W. Alexis and Jackman roads, but I can't decide on a locale. I've been researching Sylvania, Monclova, Perrysburg, Holland, Maumee, etc. I have also been looking at several cities in Monroe County, Michigan. I am married with no children yet, but would like a nice suburban area. I have rented a furnished apartment in Holland, but I have yet to go there.... Any advice?
I would recommend Perrysburg or Maumee.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:47 PM

5 posts, read 23,873 times
Ottawa Hills/Old Orchard area is nice. Also Perrysburg and Slyvania are nice, safe places to live too.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:03 AM

123 posts, read 560,874 times
I just moved from Toledo less than a month ago, and though I am not a big fan of it, I would have to agree that southern Michigan would be the best place for low crime, affordable housing (with the exception of Bedford) and close proximity to the Alexis/Jackman area. There are some decent neighborhoods in that area too, but the crime and traffic is much worse than S Michigan. Point Place is a close neighborhood too, which is on Lake Erie.

Maumee and Perrysburg are nice, but at least a 40 minute drive to Alexis/Jackman. Ottawa Hills is nice too, but very expensive, for Toledo.

Also close to Alexis/Jackman are Sylvania, (good but pricey, high real estate taxes), and in Southeast Michigan (other than those listed above), Ottawa Lake, St. Anthony, Whiteford, Samaria, Deerfield, Blissfield, and Luna Pier.

Just for the record, seeing your from Baltimore-- I was transferred to Toledo 3 years ago from Annapolis, and I found Toledo a quite undesirable place to live. I just moved to AZ, love it so far, but miss MD every day.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:06 PM

7 posts, read 57,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWayOut View Post
Just for the record, seeing your from Baltimore-- I was transferred to Toledo 3 years ago from Annapolis, and I found Toledo a quite undesirable place to live. I just moved to AZ, love it so far, but miss MD every day.
Thanks for the responses. I've been checking out all the areas mentioned above. I've been reading the Michigan threads also. MI people need to quit complaining about taxes. They're getting off easy compared to OH's income and real estate taxes.

I don't blame you for missing MD, it is a beautiful area and I'm going to miss the countryside, crabcakes, things to do and great motorcycle roads. I'm originally from Michigan so I'll be closer to my families. I'm hoping because of that, Toledo won't be as "undesirable" as it was to you. I'm not going to miss the traffic, though.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:42 PM

19 posts, read 70,445 times
We live less than one mile from jackman/alexis, have lived here my whole life along with my wife and kids. We are currently looking to move, the economy has been steadily declining over the past 10 years along with the population which has gone from 600,000 to just over 300,000 in the past twelve years. This is not the signs of a recovering economy! The automotive industry is getting crushed and for every good paying job that gets lost it gets replaced with a couple of ten or fifteen dollar per hour jobs. That's good money if your a teenager not a man trying to raise a family! We also pay some of the highest utility rates in the United States! We have a 19million dollar debt hanging over the citys head and we all know what that means for the citizens, tax hike!

Old 01-24-2007, 02:27 PM

143 posts, read 873,805 times
Just to dispell a few myths here.

Toledos population has been declining along with almost every urban area in the Midwest and Northeast, its not unique to Toledo. Even New Yorks population is in decline. Secondly Toledos peak population count was around 650k in the 1920 not 1995 as someone suggest. The city has actually done better than averge in mantaining its popualtion compared to other Midwestern and especially Northeastern cities.

The auto industy is basically gone and isnt coming back, blame globalization. Toledo just happened to be heavily invested in a unstable sector. Toledos economy will turn into a service economy like southern cities are now which basically means a lot more education but probably less pay. With that said Toledo still has a stronger than average manufacturing sector. GM has just invested an additional half billion dollars to expand thier operation here with constrution to begin soon. Toledo as of the momemt has the lowest utility rates in the state of Ohio (although they are about to be raised). Lastly there is a projected 11 million defict not 19mill. Im not a Toledo booster because the city isnt all sunshine and rainbows, but I hate when people dramatically distort the facts.

I would agree with alot of suggested areas (Maumee/Perrysburg) but dont automatically dismiss places in Toledo. There are some nice places within city limits.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:51 PM

19 posts, read 70,445 times
If my facts are incorrect take it up with The Blade that's where I got the figures!

Old 01-24-2007, 05:51 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,510,410 times
That's the problem...I have found that it seems the Blade will word their stories so the "facts" will support their "positions". I have noticed times where they seem to "conveniently forget" some of the details. An example...if they had supported the idea, there very well could have been a new, state of the art arena and amphitheater in the area of the turnpike (I-80, I-90) and I-75. They pushed the idea that it was too hard to get to, no one would drive that far,and it would be better off in downtown Toledo. I think they pushed hard enough that some of the investors got nervous and backed down. Now here it is, several years later, and the new arena is still in the talking (arguing) stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
View detailed profiles of: