Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 07:13 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,988,706 times

Advertisements

It seems like people try to change the opinions of the posters in this thread. If you think Houston's skyline is nicer than Dallas', that's your opinion. It's ok to state your opinion and give reasons why you think that way, but some people will jump down your throat if they don't agree. People need to realize that you will NEVER change the opinion of someone especially when their mind is made up. That's why I tried to avoid this thread.

In my opinion Houston's skyline is way bigger but it isn't as attractive to me as Dallas'. That's my opinion and it will never change.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:28 PM

875 posts, read 1,664,446 times
Houston..I don't understand why we continue to have this argument. Dallas skyline is not better than Houstons PERIOD. I actually would put TMC ahead of Dallas.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:21 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,012,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Houston..I don't understand why we continue to have this argument. Dallas skyline is not better than Houstons PERIOD. I actually would put TMC ahead of Dallas.
been saying that for a long time now. I would also tie uptown Houston with Downtown Dallas

Old 08-10-2012, 12:38 AM

60 posts, read 133,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
Look, I am one of the last people here on CD you want to have an argument about the recession with. So instead of getting condescending with your falsities I will leave it at that.

These are the (large) buildings that were built in Houston during the recession. Houston was in a building boom and is in a building boom.

The only reason I brought up rents was to show you how the demand for residential urban buildings has dramatically increased. Not to have some kind of monetary battle. I don't care what the rents are there because without the numbers from a few years ago it is irrelevant. When the quantity of a good demanded exceeds the quantity supplied the price must adjust upward, right? This leaves you with developers flooding the market to cash in on this incredible demand.

Your middle paragraph basically argues why Houston's skyline will remain superior for the next umpteen years. I know the vacancy rates make Dallas look really bad but you can't yell "not fair" and say it's off topic. This topic is the bread and butter of a successful and growing skyline. The mods are really quick to edit off topic comments on these vs. forums and the fact that 3 of you have whined about it and they are still here should tell you homers something. You being a Dallas resident not worried about zero capacity is not only hilarious but is the reason why Dallas will remain years behind Houston in the skyline department.

It's still amazing to me that you guys think your skyline is "pretty" when there are some very ugly buildings in it. Not only that but they are all so far apart and cowtown looking. Reunion Tower has to be the ugliest building on American soil. Until you guys level that hideous atrocity there is not much you can do. I hate that people outside of Texas have to see it because it shines a horrible light on the states architectural prowess.
Wait a minute..... You mean to tell me that those things were built during the recession??? Now why in the world would you post pictures of a bunch of buildings like this when all ov'em are ugly? That's embarrassing. Now if Houston was sooooo in a building boom during the recession, then why are there only 5 "large" buildings constructed in a city of 2 million plus? I thought you were supposed to be "up there" with Chicago and nem'... Furthermore, were all of these buildings put in downtown Houston? Or is this just a listing from all around Houston that you ran and conjured up right quick just to have a counter argument? I'm not impressed.........at all. Zero style.... Zero creativity... And.... Zero ambience... Just some extra buildings. But good for Houston. I'll let that one slide, since the standard is lower there. That's considered really good for you all.

Vacancy again? Listen up.... I'm not disputing your assertion about vacancy contributing to a "growing" skyline. You are 100% on that. What I'm saying is this.... Dallas looks better than Houston... Dallas is more memorable than Houston.... Dallas is cleaner... Dallas is just "it"! Oh, I just LOVE my Dallas... That's what I'm saying... Ya dig?

Old 08-10-2012, 08:16 AM

875 posts, read 1,664,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
been saying that for a long time now. I would also tie uptown Houston with Downtown Dallas
I agree also.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:00 AM

16,510 posts, read 26,388,923 times
Quote:
Maybe when coming from I-10 WB to 610 SB, but not in it's entirety. The Uptown skyline is far too spread out to compete with downtown Dallas.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:21 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,949,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokandyman View Post
Wait a minute..... You mean to tell me that those things were built during the recession??? Now why in the world would you post pictures of a bunch of buildings like this when all ov'em are ugly? That's embarrassing. Now if Houston was sooooo in a building boom during the recession, then why are there only 5 "large" buildings constructed in a city of 2 million plus? I thought you were supposed to be "up there" with Chicago and nem'... Furthermore, were all of these buildings put in downtown Houston? Or is this just a listing from all around Houston that you ran and conjured up right quick just to have a counter argument? I'm not impressed.........at all. Zero style.... Zero creativity... And.... Zero ambience... Just some extra buildings. But good for Houston. I'll let that one slide, since the standard is lower there. That's considered really good for you all.
You're being sarcastic, right?

Old 08-10-2012, 12:25 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,794,213 times
The D!

Old 08-10-2012, 02:40 PM
bu2

24,114 posts, read 14,958,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savanite View Post
Since the obsolete downtown skyscrapers are quickly being converted to residential, it means that many people want to live in downtown Dallas.

Actually, the downtown urban core is just migrating north, past the 1960ish boundaries of the freeway loop and many office buildings are going in. Dallas' physical downtown is extremely multiplying in size, and creating an urban core that is beyond places such as Houston.

Given the economics of office vs. residential construction, what it means is that developers desperate to get some income from otherwise useless buildings converted them to residential. If they were usuable for commercial, that is what they would be.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:44 PM
bu2

24,114 posts, read 14,958,397 times
Quote:
I have never seen so much competition before in one metro.

ATL has a lot of in fighting among cities, but not a spread as in DFW. The differences in ATL is more among the counties with ATL being the clear center of gravity in the metro. Hard to find a center of gravity in DFW.

Boston is spread out too, but again Boston is the center of the universe there.

Dallas made a mistake in the 50s by stopping their annexation. The infighting is ridiculous. Atlanta's is different in that there are no major suburbs and there's a lot of unincorporated area. Its more like every neighborhood fighting every other neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas