Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 01:23 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,041,775 times

Advertisements

[quote=TexasHorseLady;10163167]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post

Well, let's see, I've been known to wear boots (but not "cowboy boots"). When I was riding a horse or mucking out a stall and tennis shoes or whatever just didn't cut it. (Wear tennis shoes around a horse and have them step on your toes once and limp for a couple of weeks and you'll learn that there's a reason for boots.) However, I went some 40 years as as native Texan before I ever wore anything but fashion boots.

Don't know anybody who wears cowboy shirts, pretty much never have. Do know people who wear straw "cowboy hats", usually when they're working out in the sun on the tractor and it's the most practical thing to wear.

One wonders where on earth your mother was that she was driving "through Texas to check it out" (how many days was she gone?) that that was what she noticed.

I think somewhere after Childress or witchta falls to dallas. She got lost and had to ask for directions in some small town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 02:42 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,367,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Youre comparing one of the most major cities in the world with a suburb. Bad comparrison.

On top of which, notice how many more cities there are in California on that list.

It also seems Dallas is the most diverse major city in Texas. I had always heard Houston was.
." The top five most diverse cities include Long Beach, Oakland, Los Angeles, New York, and Houston.

The Most Diverse Cities In The U.S. | Planetizen

Alone, SF isn't diverse .

Old 08-07-2009, 03:10 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,886,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
." The top five most diverse cities include Long Beach, Oakland, Los Angeles, New York, and Houston.

The Most Diverse Cities In The U.S. | Planetizen

Alone, SF isn't diverse .
One tiny problem bro.

This article is from 2001. Its 8 years old. I have an easier time accepting the list that Texasthekid posted from this site because its more recent.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:43 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,121,630 times
Quote:
That is absurd interpretation of what he said.

San Francisco is wayyy more diverse than any city in Texas can ever hope to be.
Haha the whole entire Bay Area, yes. San Francisco alone, or even Oakland added to the mix? No way Jose.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:56 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,121,630 times
Quote:
One tiny problem bro.

This article is from 2001. Its 8 years old. I have an easier time accepting the list that Texasthekid posted from this site because its more recent.
Exactly & both D/FW & Houston have added easily over a million residents to their metros within the past 8 years while places in California have seen a decrease.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 08-07-2009 at 04:09 PM..

Old 08-07-2009, 04:06 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,367,752 times
Quote:
One tiny problem bro.

True, so it's much more diverse now.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
True, so it's much more diverse now.
I will say that I have been surprised with the diversity Ive seen in Dallas. Ive seen a whole lot of Asians (mostly Koreans I think) and Indians mainly (I live in North Dallas).

That being said I will still stick to my arguement that Texas is more segregated. In LA, there are very few neighborhoods that are all one race. In Texas Ive seen more of them. Dont get me wrong, I think Dallas and Houston are FAR from the most segregated cities in the US. But LA is one of the least segregated by far. I grew up in the suburb of Torrance. We had all kinds of people living in that town. LA, Long Beach, Carson, Torrance, and Northern Orange county are extremely nonsegregated. I dont think Dallas or Houston can match that level of nonsegregation.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:45 PM

20,553 posts, read 33,763,332 times
Quote:
I will say that I have been surprised with the diversity Ive seen in Dallas. Ive seen a whole lot of Asians (mostly Koreans I think) and Indians mainly (I live in North Dallas).

That being said I will still stick to my arguement that Texas is more segregated. In LA, there are very few neighborhoods that are all one race. In Texas Ive seen more of them. Dont get me wrong, I think Dallas and Houston are FAR from the most segregated cities in the US. But LA is one of the least segregated by far. I grew up in the suburb of Torrance. We had all kinds of people living in that town. LA, Long Beach, Carson, Torrance, and Northern Orange county are extremely nonsegregated. I dont think Dallas or Houston can match that level of nonsegregation.
But I think what you're doing it looking at it from the Dallas perspective which is known as one of the most segregated cities in the nation. Houston though is the exact opposite. It's much more integrated and like LA, there are very few neighborhoods that are all one race. Now I don't know if Houston is as integrated like LA, but Houston is not nearly as segregated as most Southern cities or most cities period.

As for your other comment earlier in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10
Heres my take:

Ive been in Dallas one month after living most of my life in Los Angeles and I absolutely love it here! People are wonderful and friendly. Its not as diverse as LA, but there are many different cultures in the Metroplex. Im a big fan of the Koreatown here and the Vietnamese enclave in Arlington.

That being said I can tell you that the reason people like to bash Texas is because (frankly) Texans are extremely arrogant when it comes to their state. They have to be the best at everything and they are in your face about it. Take the dude from San Francisco on here. He didnt start out attacking Texas at all until a bunch of you got in his face about SF.

Let me say that I dont think Texans are arrogant over all, but when it comes to issues reguarding Texas, they are.
Could not disagree with you anymore than what you said. It frankly turns alot of people off to Texas when they hear a Texan talk about it's state. Living in Washington DC, I never discuss Texas unless someone brings up a conversation about it or we are talking sports. Frankly, while I do love the state, there is not but a couple places I can live in throughout the state. But you have to understand, they have us recite the state pledge in elementary school and then have us take Texas history in the 7th grade. I have no problem with the Texas history thing. But the Texas pledge always annoyed me as well as many other families. Texans can become extremely arrogant and VERY prideful about their state. It's great to rep it and love it but not to the extent where you have to shove it down everyone's throat or bash a place to hype up your own.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
But I think what you're doing it looking at it from the Dallas perspective which is known as one of the most segregated cities in the nation. Houston though is the exact opposite. It's much more integrated and like LA, there are very few neighborhoods that are all one race. Now I don't know if Houston is as integrated like LA, but Houston is not nearly as segregated as most Southern cities or most cities period.

As for your other comment earlier in the thread.

Could not disagree with you anymore than what you said. It frankly turns alot of people off to Texas when they hear a Texan talk about it's state. Living in Washington DC, I never discuss Texas unless someone brings up a conversation about it or we are talking sports. Frankly, while I do love the state, there is not but a couple places I can live in throughout the state. But you have to understand, they have us recite the state pledge in elementary school and then have us take Texas history in the 7th grade. I have no problem with the Texas history thing. But the Texas pledge always annoyed me as well as many other families. Texans can become extremely arrogant and VERY prideful about their state. It's great to rep it and love it but not to the extent where you have to shove it down everyone's throat or bash a place to hype up your own.
Ive worked in Houston on many occasions, and I dont believe its anywhere near as intergrated as LA. Ive been staying in Grand Prarie with a friend of mine and his neighborhood is extremely diverse. However, Ive been in other parts of the metroplex that are milky white, black, or latino. From what ive gathered in Houston its the same. Lots of diverse neighborhoods, lots of one race neighborhoods, just depends on where you are.

I can assure you LA is more intergrated than either Houston or Dallas. That being said, Houston is definately more like LA than Dallas. Dallas is more like Atlanta than Houston or LA in this reguard and overall I think.

By the way, how are you disagreeing with what I said about Texan arrogance? It seems like you just rehashed what I said?

Old 08-08-2009, 03:03 PM

15 posts, read 38,634 times
NEGATIVES OF HOUSTON, TX POSITIVES OF HOUSTON, TEXAS

-So HOT and HUMID in the summertime! -Beautiful, mild "Fall", "Winters", Spring
-Cheap labor -Buy an affordable house with not much effort.
-No zoning/pile of ways to make $ everywhere -Make money doing pretty much ANYTHING!
-Lots of traffic -Some form of traffic in all big cities
-Hurricanes -At least you have a beach
-So many people everywhere, all the time -Most people that are from Texas are nice.
-Suburbs galore -Send your kids to great schools you are zoned to!
-So many people moving here -Strong economy
-Not much to do (supposedly) -Search for an adventure at every turn, getting better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas