Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 03:19 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times

Advertisements

That is a gorgeous shot ATX!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 04:11 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
Because TX is bigger, better, and far more bad ass than where they are from.
GREAT picture of OUR State Flag, ATX!

Texas, Our Texas...all hail the mighty state....

Old 07-13-2009, 06:01 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Because TX is bigger, better, and far more bad ass than where they are from.
Wow, what a quality.......bad a**. I'm impressed. If I were a native, I'd be very embarrassed with that statement.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:37 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Wow, what a quality.......bad a**. I'm impressed. If I were a native, I'd be very embarrassed with that statement.
I just laugh at it and shake my head sometimes while laughing. Love the pride, but can become excessive sometimes. No different than what New Yorkers do with their city. If you want an example, see the city vs city forum lol.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:16 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I just laugh at it and shake my head sometimes while laughing. Love the pride, but can become excessive sometimes. No different than what New Yorkers do with their city. If you want an example, see the city vs city forum lol.
Oh gosh, I think it will just make me sicker with laughter. Hahahaha!! Texas is not any of those things anyway (except bigger than almost all states), but the people who make up the state think up these things that make one absolutely incredulous. Who in his or her right mind would really want to be a bad a**? I'm not a native, and I'm embarrassed. I will never slight Texas for the craziness around me.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:23 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's true. I was in Hawaii, and I met some folks from Maryland/Mass. I told them that I was from Texas, and immediately they started talking about why Texas sucks. I don't even know what brought it on. They went on and on about racism and prejudice against gays, yadda yadda...and they had never even been to Texas! Not to mention, they were seriously and severely misinformed as to the daily lives of many minorities...ridiculous. I mean, what do I know? Only lived here for 20 years.
Wow, it seems that the biggest criticizers of any other place tend to be people from areas where they have major problems themselves. I've lived in Maryland and have interacted mainly with people from the Northeast (NJ, NY, Eastern PA, MA, MD) and let me tell you their prejudice and racism makes Texas look like [non-LA] California in that department, not to say that Texas doesn't have some VERY progressive areas/cities (which is one of the main reasons why I'm interested in that state).
Quote:
This has happened several times...you just say, "Texas," and you instantly get either some happy, "Oh, that's cool!" or you get, "What a bleeping bleeping cesspool of bleeping bleep! Oh, and I've never been there or was there for all of 5 seconds."
Trust me when I say the "cesspools of Texas" that they were referring to mainly included chain stores, flatlands, deserts, parking spot filled downtowns, sprawl, humidity, and strip malls; all of which are more tolerable than the "cesspools of the Northeast" like ill-managed utilities, filthy transit systems, excessively violent ghettos, unprovoked d*uchebags and a**holes & shallow gangsta/preppy/trust-fund loving broads, overbearing taxes that go to everything but what you use, and a cost of living that isn't barely justified.
Quote:
Mostly from northeasterners, which is ironic, b/c I have always found that part of the country rude, crowded, and depressing, but I don't take it upon myself to tell that to every (or any) person I meet from there.
I'm with you on that one. The Northeast (particularly from the corridor from Boston to DC) seems to be the only place(s) where no matter how hardworking I am, it's not what I know and am willing to learn, it's WHO I know (even for getting an internship); where regardless if I live and act like a normal person, I'm still seen overall by the population as the stereotype of my race; where no matter genuine I am, I get overlooked and treated like garbage; and where no matter how social I am, I always find myself surrounded by excluding cliques (which btw, what other damn regions really have cliques as their form of social interaction).

But back to the original topic, Texas seems to be a complete opposite of the Northeast, and that's what really is attracting me to plan to live there in the near future (given once I'm offered a job there). Where the Northeast mentality is all in your face and invasive, the Texas mentality respects a person's personal space. Where the Northeast social scene is exclusive and cliquish, the Texas social scene seems open and friendly. Where the Northeast atmosphere wants to run our lives in every little aspect, the Texas atmosphere seems to respect personal freedoms. Where the Northeast expects a minority to stick to their stereotypes, Texas expects individuality (or at least assimilation) out of their minorities. And where Northeastern broads sees arrogance as a turn-on, Texan chicks seems to be satisfied with big confidence.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:51 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
They don't have NEARLY as much to work with as Texas does and yes, OK is pretty diverse compared to Kansas or Arkansas. Doesn't touch Texas with a 100 foot pole. Only maybe Florida. But Georgia is not nearly as diverse as Texas. Neither is North Carolina or Virginia. I live in the DC area and you should here the comments on how some Blacks don't care to live around the "Spanish" people that lives in Hyattsville or Columbia Heights now. That's why you won't see a high black population around Hyattsville, Maryland.
That is what my uncle said. He lives in Hyattsville and is from Nigeria, and was saying how their are so many "Spanish" people living in Hyattsville now.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:34 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
That is what my uncle said. He lives in Hyattsville and is from Nigeria, and was saying how their are so many "Spanish" people living in Hyattsville now.
In Maryland, it goes BOTH ways. The Blacks dislike Latinos (and everyone else), the Latinos (and everyone else) dislike blacks, and so on.

This is why I said racism in Maryland makes Texas look like it should be categorized as part of the West more than the South.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:14 AM

989 posts, read 2,498,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
You either get it or you don't. Those who don't sooner or later end up going back to New Jersey or California or wherever else they came from.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:44 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
You either get it or you don't. Those who don't sooner or later end up going back to New Jersey or California or wherever else they came from.

I'm a native and I get it.

It is almost always preceded by a big "duhhh," and followed by wiping drool off the chin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas