Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 06:16 PM

88 posts, read 420,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I do have to say sometime it is triggered by jealousy. The Sun-belt is booming and all the other cities are suffering. The Sun-belt is the future and a lot of people don't want to accep it. Houston,Dallas,and Atlanta are now entering the stage where they could rival any city in the north(excluding New York City),especially when it comes to importance and influence. People don't move to a city because of history and architecture, they move because they want to live a good life or to raise a family. The south is a much better place to raise a family imo because of all the oppurtunities of living in a nice, low-density community and only be about 5 - 10 miles from the city. You can't necessarily do this anywhere else for cheap.
That is a good point, but I don't know if jealousy is the right word. There is an element of community upheaval... people in the northeast and midwest have friends and relatives that they grew up with that have moved south. Maybe the splitting of some social connections puts people on a negative about it? Not saying that it's fair or rational to developed biases over it, but maybe it explains a little? It's no fun at all to experience population decline in the community that you grew up in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 09:20 PM

15 posts, read 31,832 times
You'd better check the statistics of where Texas stands in feeding it's children, programs for mentally ill (including kids), and taking care of young people at risk - it's just above Mississippi, which is almost dead last for those problems among all the states.

Miami is even more diverse than Houston (a good thing), and it is flat, but because it is 3 quarters surrounded by ocean it seems to get more of those cross breezes and rarely feels as hot and humid as Houston. Also, what is the Texas/California issue. If anything (since I am from neither), I see a connection. The two states seem to have a lot of people going back and forth to live in those states. Ther are huge numbers of Californians from Texas and vice versa. That exchange seems to be running neck and neck with the number of Louisianans/Texans who do the same exchange. So I don't understand the California-Texas bashing.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:33 PM

You'd better check the statistics of where Texas stands in feeding it's children, programs for mentally ill (including kids), and taking care of young people at risk - it's just above Mississippi, which is almost dead last for those problems among all the states.

Miami is even more diverse than Houston (a good thing), and it is flat, but because it is 3 quarters surrounded by ocean it seems to get more of those cross breezes and rarely feels as hot and humid as Houston. Also, what is the Texas/California issue. If anything (since I am from neither), I see a connection. The two states seem to have a lot of people going back and forth to live in those states. Ther are huge numbers of Californians from Texas and vice versa. That exchange seems to be running neck and neck with the number of Louisianans/Texans who do the same exchange. So I don't understand the California-Texas bashing.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:48 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taliba View Post
This may or may not be true, but at any rate, Texas has programs which address such issues. I'd personally like to see concrete evidence of where you are coming up with these claims or where such programs fail to exist.

Quote:
Miami is even more diverse than Houston (a good thing)
Miami as diverse as Houston? Hardly...

Where can you find a Chinatown, Little Saigon, Korean Town, or Little India in Miami, no where! There is a HUGE Latino presence in Miami, thats a given, especially from the islands of Cuba & Puerto Rico, but between Houston's Mexican, Salvadorian, & Central American population it just about evens out really.

Quote:
Also, what is the Texas/California issue. If anything (since I am from neither), I see a connection. The two states seem to have a lot of people going back and forth to live in those states. Ther are huge numbers of Californians from Texas and vice versa.
I don't see Texans moving to California in droves the same way Californians are moving to Texas in what some might describe as a caravan style mass exodus. The past several years, I've been seeing California plates EVERYWHERE in Texas, especially in cities like Dallas, Austin, & Houston are the main ones, but also in the much smaller places like here in Tyler. Not everyone coming from there wants to live back in the city, thats the very thing in some cases they're trying to escape.

Quote:
That exchange seems to be running neck and neck with the number of Louisianans/Texans who do the same exchange. So I don't understand the California-Texas bashing.
Really? This is news to me. I wasn't aware of any mass exodus to Louisiana or any ounce of offering of help by that state during our Hurricane Ike which devastated the whole northern Texas Gulf Coastal region from Galveston on up into Houston, all the way over to Beaumont/Port Aurthur. During Louisiana's Katrina back in 2005, Houston alone absorbed over half of the population of New Orleans & still over 4 years later a large number of them continue to reside in the Houston area. Some of them however (the ones that had money) have either returned back home to rebuild or have been put behind bars (the low class thuggish types) here in Texas for criminal acts they tried to pull when they came here. What they failed to realize is, here in Texas we don't put up with the kind of Tom Foolery behavior they did in Louisiana where they were allowed to run wild like a bunch of natives robbing & killing each other & the police turning a blind eye. It didn't make the national news much, but there had been some bloody gang rivalrys post-Katrina over New Orleans gangs treading on gang turf in Houston.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 06-27-2009 at 01:23 AM..

Old 06-27-2009, 07:15 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
California-Texas bashing.

As a native Texan, California, aka HOLLYWOOD, has been making fun of Texas and Texans for decades. Suddenly, their state is sinking in so many ways they are forced to leave in order to make ends meet. Where is the first place many of them go? The dreaded, hillybilly Texas. OMG BECKY! Many can't seem to stop the stereotypical bashing once they land here in their "cheap mansions" in the middle of nowhere. And then they complain how bored they are, after they bought 60 miles outside of the city in the middle of a cow pasture. Like it's Texas' fault that they bought in a boring location.

SO they come here, and half, not all, of them *****.But they are here. WHY? I dunno. Something about the state must be draw for them. Some of them want to "make a Texas a better place." A better place for whom many ask? So the ground work for animosity has been laid.

As to Louisiana: Texans don't mind Louisiana. We share a lot of the same "spirit," a spirit that pisses off a lot of Californians for some very odd reason. We don't like some of the trash that came here after Katrina, but that's a whole other story. The cultures do mesh well despite their "finer citizens."

Last edited by Bo; 06-27-2009 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: If you must use those words, let the banned-word filter do the talking.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:01 PM

848 posts, read 2,127,753 times
Quote:

"Miami is even more diverse than Houston?"

Where did you get this factoid? There are not the substantial Asian, African and Middle Eastern influences in Miami that Houston's got. Miami is connected primarily to sectors of Latin America. Houston has Latin America and MORE.

There is also a butthole vibe coming from Miami. I remember trying to greet a Latino (probably Cuban) deli owner as we gave him business in his modest establishment near South Beach but he acted like a cold-shouldered ass. (Latino business owners don't generally act like that here in H-town as they seem glad to have your business.) Is that attitude representative of Miami? Many seem to think so.

Houston has a much friendlier attitude, and that's with a MUCH MORE diverse population.

(Miami) "is flat, but because it is 3 quarters surrounded by ocean..."

Houston's flatness should also be negated by the fact that it too is close to the ocean, has adjacent coastal towns with actual character not to mention glorious forests to the immediate north and actual major league skyscrapers (something Miami's jockstrap cannot hold).

Old 06-28-2009, 05:13 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post

Where did you get this factoid? There are not the substantial Asian, African and Middle Eastern influences in Miami that Houston's got. Miami is connected primarily to sectors of Latin America. Houston has Latin America and MORE.

There is also a butthole vibe coming from Miami. I remember trying to greet a Latino (probably Cuban) deli owner as we gave him business in his modest establishment near South Beach but he acted like a cold-shouldered ass. (Latino business owners don't generally act like that here in H-town as they seem glad to have your business.) Is that attitude representative of Miami? Many seem to think so.

Houston has a much friendlier attitude, and that's with a MUCH MORE diverse population.

Houston's flatness should also be negated by the fact that it too is close to the ocean, has adjacent coastal towns with actual character not to mention glorious forests to the immediate north and actual major league skyscrapers (something Miami's jockstrap cannot hold).
And even if Houston is flat, we're not too far from hills.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:53 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post

It's a Cuban-American attitude and I've noticed it in a LOT of Cubans I know. Most Latinos don't act like that. I know a lot of Cubans who are great people, especially those who are first-generation, but their offspring have a major cocky streak and aren't very friendly in my experience.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:36 PM

"Houston has a much friendlier attitude, and that's with a MUCH MORE diverse population.
Houston's flatness should also be negated by the fact that it too is close to the ocean, has adjacent coastal towns with actual character not to mention glorious forests to the immediate north and actual major league skyscrapers (something Miami's jockstrap cannot hold)".

I looked up US census data for 2009 and you can too. Just pick your city, state, and issue. Houston has 2% more mixed race people; 4% more Asians; and a big difference in Hispanics that list as White: 77% to 49%. Whoop-de-do; the diversity is still similar. You can still visit The Indian /Asian sector in Miami; Little Haiti (if you dare); Puerto Rican enclaves; and Rastaman sections galore. Just depends on what diverity you like. They are both diverse.

And where did you get the bald faced lie that Houstonians are friendly: the question is - to who? Right, only if someone is exactly like them no differentness appreciated. Just because you call Houstonians friendly doesn't mean most people agree. Many people from the North, or "damn Yankees" as Texans refer to them; consider Texans as sub-human, loud, ignoramants. I don't agree, and neither do I agree that Miami is the "jockstrap" of the world. .. and I'm not from Miami. That kind of mean spiritness is just why one city is always knocking another. Then you make inneundos that all younger Cubans are cocky. That's code for they don't know their place", just as "arrogant" is for some other diverisities. Wow.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:57 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times
Quote:
"Houston has a much friendlier attitude, and that's with a MUCH MORE diverse population.
Houston's flatness should also be negated by the fact that it too is close to the ocean, has adjacent coastal towns with actual character not to mention glorious forests to the immediate north and actual major league skyscrapers (something Miami's jockstrap cannot hold)".

I looked up US census data for 2009 and you can too. Just pick your city, state, and issue. Houston has 2% more mixed race people; 4% more Asians; and a big difference in Hispanics that list as White: 77% to 49%. Whoop-de-do; the diversity is still similar. You can still visit The Indian /Asian sector in Miami; Little Haiti (if you dare); Puerto Rican enclaves; and Rastaman sections galore. Just depends on what diverity you like. They are both diverse.

And where did you get the bald faced lie that Houstonians are friendly: the question is - to who? Right, only if someone is exactly like them no differentness appreciated. Just because you call Houstonians friendly doesn't mean most people agree. Many people from the North, or "damn Yankees" as Texans refer to them; consider Texans as sub-human, loud, ignoramants. I don't agree, and neither do I agree that Miami is the "jockstrap" of the world. .. and I'm not from Miami. That kind of mean spiritness is just why one city is always knocking another. Then you make inneundos that all younger Cubans are cocky. That's code for they don't know their place", just as "arrogant" is for some other diverisities. Wow.
Hispanics are supposed to list as White unless they are of a majority American Indian, African, or Asian descent. "Some other race" was not meant to include Latinos, however so many of them did so in 2000 that the option has been removed for the 2010 census.

For the census, White includes those of European, Jewish, and Arab/Middle Eastern descent. Most Latinos are considered by the government to be largely European, so they're white.

A good way to tell how many non-Hispanic whites are in a city is to add together the White and Some Other Race numbers and then subtract the number of Hispanics from the total.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas