Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2009, 03:58 PM

256 posts, read 752,768 times

Advertisements

Two weeks is old? That seems pretty natural in other forums I go to, even really popular ones like this.

But there are also a lot of small cities right next to Atlanta city limits that have lots of gays, like Decatur, Druid hills, etc. Percentage is important, because I think if all the areas inside the Perimeter were incorporated into Atlanta it would have the same number of gays as Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 04:12 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,926,279 times
Who brought this thread back? I'm starting to think the OP was on to something. If you have to dig up old threads to bash a city than that's just sad.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:20 PM

542 posts, read 1,506,098 times
When the Texas-bashers get called out, they blame the Texans for them being insular braggarts and whatever cultural stereotype they can figure in. Or, because the city of Houston has nowhere to go but up, and these bashers think Houston's getting uppity and should keep their status as the "insignificant city" they relegate it to in the dark recesses of their "enlightened" minds. Hilarious.

Basically, if you're not from the Northeast, Upper Midwest, or Northwest, you don't matter. Don't believe? Look at the numerous threads in the General US warzone.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:31 PM

256 posts, read 752,768 times
Sorry guys. Didn't realize the thread was that old....

Old 01-03-2009, 09:10 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,969,523 times
This isn't as much of a factor, but also, Texas executes WAY more criminals than any other state in the country. Texas has executed one third of the people that have been executed in the country since the death penalty was reinstated in 1976. Over 400 people, if I remember correctly. The next biggest state was Virginia and it had like 90! That just makes me angry. That anybody would be PROUD of that.

Proud? Try disgusted!! I haven't looked up the statistics, but....

So you think that a scumbag who carjacks a couple....kills the husband, steps over his body in a pool of blood while his terrified wife watches as that killer heads for her...should not be executed? This was in the Houston area, and all the liberals and bleeding hearts got upset because the killer was a 17-year-old kid at the time he committed the crime.

The disgusting part is that Texas taxpayers have to support slime like this while they wait on Death Row. As far as I'm concerned, the process takes far too long, and should be shortened by at least two-thirds.

Thank God the governor didn't listen to the bleeding hearts and commute the sentence of this little killer.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:40 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,372,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
This isn't as much of a factor, but also, Texas executes WAY more criminals than any other state in the country. Texas has executed one third of the people that have been executed in the country since the death penalty was reinstated in 1976. Over 400 people, if I remember correctly. The next biggest state was Virginia and it had like 90! That just makes me angry. That anybody would be PROUD of that.

Proud? Try disgusted!! I haven't looked up the statistics, but....

So you think that a scumbag who carjacks a couple....kills the husband, steps over his body in a pool of blood while his terrified wife watches as that killer heads for her...should not be executed? This was in the Houston area, and all the liberals and bleeding hearts got upset because the killer was a 17-year-old kid at the time he committed the crime.

The disgusting part is that Texas taxpayers have to support slime like this while they wait on Death Row. As far as I'm concerned, the process takes far too long, and should be shortened by at least two-thirds.

Thank God the governor didn't listen to the bleeding hearts and commute the sentence of this little killer.
I guess they expect us to continue to build more jails and let scum back on the streets and do more harm to others. There is a reason why Texas is one of the safest states in America. These idiots in jail are living better than people out here in the real world working their butts off trying to support a family and taxed for scumbags in jail so they can live a good life while in prison.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:20 AM

9,221 posts, read 16,026,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I guess they expect us to continue to build more jails and let scum back on the streets and do more harm to others. There is a reason why Texas is one of the safest states in America. These idiots in jail are living better than people out here in the real world working their butts off trying to support a family and taxed for scumbags in jail so they can live a good life while in prison.
This is why I always say homeless people should go and try to rob a bank, because they'll be living the life in jail (shelter, three meals a day, etc.).

Old 01-04-2009, 12:21 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,125,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
The only negative thing I have to say about Houston is that it looks like a giant Metairie.
I have noticed however a lot of bashing from Texas (particularly Houston) of Louisiana.
Gee, I wonder why?

Old 01-04-2009, 12:31 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,125,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
fair enough. i just never hear of people going to Chicago unless it's for business. Miami and San Francisco just seem like those cities that are always talked about. i have absolutely no facts to back this up. it's just a perception of mine. if i was going to rank the way i think most americans and most people around the world view our cities i would say it would be something like this:

1. NYC
2. Washington D.C.
3. Los Angeles
4. Philadelphia
5. Boston
6. San Francisco, Seattle
7. Miami
8. Chicago and Dallas
9. and the rest in various orders

i can't really argue this because it's just my opinion but that's just the way i see it. Chicago just doesn't have that big defining pop culture aspect that some other cities have. skyscrapers just don't fascinate people that much unless it's New York City. people can see skyscrapers in every major city.
Very true statement to some extent!

Your average Joe wouldn't even notice the differences between the skylines of Houston & Dallas until you pointed them out. All their eyes see are tall & unusual looking buildings nothing more, even though Houston has the third tallest US skyline after NYC & Chicago respectively.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:03 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,372,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Very true statement to some extent!

Your average Joe wouldn't even notice the differences between the skylines of Houston & Dallas until you pointed them out. All their eyes see are tall & unusual looking buildings nothing more, even though Houston has the third tallest US skyline after NYC & Chicago respectively.
IDK, I mean what sets the two apart is Houston has three distinct skylines ranging from Downtown to TMC to Uptown. Dallas just mainly has downtown and small sprawled out skylines all through out the city. Myself after seeing Houston skyline after a while, its kind of like nothing to me. It is very massive, but I'm not the type of person who is amazed to see the same tall buildings everyday. When I'm coming in from Missouri City and see the skylines from 288, I'm not really impressed anymore. I'm sure I'd feel the same way if I lived closed to NYC. The amazement goes very quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas