Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2008, 07:31 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,965,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I think outside of this forum people put other cities ahead of Chicago. Cities like Philadelphia, Boston, Washington D.C., Miami, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Seattle.
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 07:45 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,867,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
No.
it's just my opinion of course. Most people seem to care most about what they see in movies and on tv rather than what city has the most density and skyscrapers. That's why I put San Francisco and Miami above Chicago. As for Boston and Philadelphia, we learn about these two cities all throughout grade school. I don't think people care that much about Chicago. Would people outside this forum really choose to visit Chicago over the cities I mentioned? I really don't think most people know the order of the biggest cities in the country other than New York City being the biggest and then they would probably just name random big cities.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:31 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,351,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
I am from New York orginally and spent quite a bit of time in Houston and I don't like it. The weather was great, ppl were nice, cost of living was fantastic, and quite diverse but I found the city to be lacking in many areas especially for young single ppl. The nightlife in Houston is terrible. The city also lacks any type of charm or identity. It has the worst traffic of any city I have ever been too and can strike at any point during the day.
of all the criticisms i've heard about houston (some of which i agreed with) someone having a problem with the nightlife is generally unheard of. houston is the other city that doesn't really sleep. we have many of the best clubs in the world.

chances are you didn't spend enough time here, or you were just hanging out with the wrong people.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:51 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,236,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
What color is the sky in your world? Most people would not say Miami or Boston over Chicago at all. Most people in the world already know about Chicago. It's name is one of the top brands in the nation. Most people have a vivid imagination of Chicago because of it's world class skyline and museums. They have two of the top world class universities in the Chicago area alone.
I live in the real world with lots of uninformed people who don't know much about this wonderful country we call america. I ask my sister the three biggest states and she'll most likely name NYC and LA first, but after that she would say Dallas or Houston. Houston and Chicago are always compared because of how much they're underrated and overshadowed by other cities in their regions.

Just because you know it, don't mean everyone else does.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:54 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,802,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I live in the real world with lots of uninformed people who don't know much about this wonderful country we call america. I ask my sister the three biggest states and she'll most likely name NYC and LA first, but after that she would say Dallas or Houston. Houston and Chicago are always compared because of how much they're underrated and overshadowed by other cities in their regions.

So if the country is so wonderful to you, why do you take so much time out of your day to bash it's cities?

Old 12-16-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
So if the country is so wonderful to you, why do you take so much time out of your day to bash it's cities?
Where did he bash it?

Old 12-16-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
I don't recall bashing any city throughout this whole thread.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:05 PM

20,521 posts, read 33,572,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

Well I do agree that both Houston and Chicago are underrated but this thread does show that Chicago is very underrated and probably the most underrated city in America. It is historically and presently an economic powerhouse. Market wise, it is one of the top 3 cities in the nation in tv and radio. It is one of the most diverse and cultural cities in the nation. I just do not believe that pound for pound, Houston does not match up with Chicago.

But just because you or your sister does not know it, does not mean everybody else doesn't. Oh and Westhou, Chicago is one of the most visited cities in the nation. Even more than the cities that you named.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Well I do agree that both Houston and Chicago are underrated but this thread does show that Chicago is very underrated and probably the most underrated city in America. It is historically and presently an economic powerhouse. Market wise, it is one of the top 3 cities in the nation in tv and radio. It is one of the most diverse and cultural cities in the nation. I just do not believe that pound for pound, Houston does not match up with Chicago.

But just because you or your sister does not know it, does not mean everybody else doesn't. Oh and Westhou, Chicago is one of the most visited cities in the nation. Even more than the cities that you named.
I never said Houston matches up with Chicago, but I feel Houston is much closer to Chicago than you guys think. I know I always say how powerful Houston is because of NASA,medicine, and energy, but these three things alone do put Houston on a much higher level than a lot of cities [Not even counting the big technology development planned for Pearland]. I recall you once even saying out of all the cities in the south; Houston had the best chance of becoming a beta city. That alones shows how much potential and power Houston has over other cities.

What I will say is Houston matches up with Chicago in diversity and importance.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:

fair enough. i just never hear of people going to Chicago unless it's for business. Miami and San Francisco just seem like those cities that are always talked about. i have absolutely no facts to back this up. it's just a perception of mine. if i was going to rank the way i think most americans and most people around the world view our cities i would say it would be something like this:

1. NYC
2. Washington D.C.
3. Los Angeles
4. Philadelphia
5. Boston
6. San Francisco, Seattle
7. Miami
8. Chicago and Dallas
9. and the rest in various orders

i can't really argue this because it's just my opinion but that's just the way i see it. Chicago just doesn't have that big defining pop culture aspect that some other cities have. skyscrapers just don't fascinate people that much unless it's New York City. people can see skyscrapers in every major city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas