Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 09:49 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
No, but we had the Jasper murder, the Tulia arrests, the Houston WWI race Riots, the Dallas Riots, the Vidar/Nederaland hangings, the Center Hangings, etc.

California is bad, but it would not be accurate to claim its history and cohesiveness are nearly as bad as Texas. CA people have stereotypes of others, but do not seem to act on them as much as texans.

I will agree with you, Texas is a lot better than much of the rest of the south historically. But modernly, it still has a ways to go. I dont think its a 'liberal states v conservative states' issue necessarily either. Oklahoma is very conservative, but seems much more cohesive. The same goes for Arkansas.

When other southern states like Alabama, Georgia and North Carolina start to jump ahead of Texas in terms of different peoples cohesiveness, there is a problem. From a national perspective, it could be argued the only southern states in worst shape are Louisiana, South Carolina and Tennessee.
Seriously, I can understand you bringing up other states like CA and NY. But neither Oklahoma, Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia, or even North Carolina are as diverse as Texas so their "cohesiveness" would be seen as better if they were actually as diverse as Texas. I don't think you're making a good point by bringing up those states. Also, don't even bring up Florida. There are many of problems down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 03:48 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Seriously, I can understand you bringing up other states like CA and NY. But neither Oklahoma, Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia, or even North Carolina are as diverse as Texas so their "cohesiveness" would be seen as better if they were actually as diverse as Texas. I don't think you're making a good point by bringing up those states. Also, don't even bring up Florida. There are many of problems down there.
Yes, but as I explained in the last post, I was never saying they were as diverse. I said Texas is more diverse, but it lacks cohesiveness between its diverse groups.

Just because a place has plenty of different people does not mean they get along. As many other posters in this thread stated, California is an example (though most would still say texas is far worst than CA).

Old 07-12-2009, 04:05 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Yes, but as I explained in the last post, I was never saying they were as diverse. I said Texas is more diverse, but it lacks cohesiveness between its diverse groups.

Just because a place has plenty of different people does not mean they get along. As many other posters in this thread stated, California is an example (though most would still say texas is far worst than CA).
Trust me; many people would say CA is worse.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:16 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Well, since we are throwing out anecdotal evidence... I grew up in the Northeast, and have relatives in CA and FL. My observation is that Texas was much more cohesive and less discriminatory, at least in the major cities.

I attribute this to 2 things: 1) The relative newness of the population in the major cities (compared to NE, anyway). In rural Texas it might not be true, but in the cities there isn't the type of established racism/favoritism you will find the the northeast. Most of Dallas, Houston, SA and Austin are large swaths of relative newcomers of pretty diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds. Houston blew me away in this regard, it's easily more integrated and diverse than any city (other than maybe NYC) I've ever lived in.

and 2) The openness (sometimes to a fault) of the population in Texas. It's ugly when it rears it's head as racism, but at least it's easy to spot. In both CA and the northeast, they seem much more savvy about hiding whatever discrimination they may harbor... in Texas, most people are not discriminatory -- but if they are, you know it.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:

The reason why those states are probably seen as more cohesive to your eyes is because they do not have as a much to work with like Texas. States like Oklahoma, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, or any other state you named are nearly as diverse or as cohesive as you are making them out to be.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:43 PM

Yes. Others are so cohesive when it comes to diversity. Case in point, Philadelphia.
Pool Boots Kids Who Might "Change the Complexion" | NBC Philadelphia

Very very sad and unfortunate story. But it goes to show that other places aren't as cohesive as you may believe.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:50 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The reason why those states are probably seen as more cohesive to your eyes is because they do not have as a much to work with like Texas. States like Oklahoma, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, or any other state you named are nearly as diverse or as cohesive as you are making them out to be.

Yes, (though I would say OK is pretty diverse), but other states I mentioned, the larger ones like FL, DC/VA, NC and GA have lots to work with.

I specifically pointed out that Louisiana is much worst than Tx.

At the same time, granted the other states have less to work with, but they also have a well known and deep rooted divisiveness that they still struggle with. My only observation is that they have come farther than Texas has.

I am not at all ragging on Texas...but the fact remains, the state has a well founded 'issue' of lack of togetherness or acceptance in comparison to much of the rest of the country, both those metros and states that are far more diverse (CA, IL, and NY) and those that are far less (WA, MN, CO).

Also, Spade, I never said everywhere and everyone but Texans are very accepting and cohesive. I only said Texas is overall further behind most other places. I am sure we could all list off countless sad divisive acts, though it would be wrong not to accept that southern states have much more of a bloody history with the issue (with the exception of the west and native americans)...

Old 07-13-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Yes, (though I would say OK is pretty diverse), but other states I mentioned, the larger ones like FL, DC/VA, NC and GA have lots to work with.
They don't have NEARLY as much to work with as Texas does and yes, OK is pretty diverse compared to Kansas or Arkansas. Doesn't touch Texas with a 100 foot pole. Only maybe Florida. But Georgia is not nearly as diverse as Texas. Neither is North Carolina or Virginia. I live in the DC area and you should here the comments on how some Blacks don't care to live around the "Spanish" people that lives in Hyattsville or Columbia Heights now. That's why you won't see a high black population around Hyattsville, Maryland.

Quote:
At the same time, granted the other states have less to work with, but they also have a well known and deep rooted divisiveness that they still struggle with. My only observation is that they have come farther than Texas has.
Explain? How have those states come farther than Texas.
Quote:
I am not at all ragging on Texas...but the fact remains, the state has a well founded 'issue' of lack of togetherness or acceptance in comparison to much of the rest of the country, both those metros and states that are far more diverse (CA, IL, and NY) and those that are far less (WA, MN, CO).
Illinois? Did you really name Illinois? The biggest city in the state of Illinois which is the city that I love so much is one of the most segregated cities in the nation. Much more segregated than Houston. They aren't living in harmony up there in the city of Chicago nor are they doing it in the suburbs of Chicago. Many of the Blacks are leaving Southern California because they believe the Hispanics are out against them. No offense, but I don't really care to hear how states that are not nearly as diverse as Texas are somehow more cohesive than Texas when it comes to living amongst each other. Especially any other Southern state.

Quote:
Also, Spade, I never said everywhere and everyone but Texans are very accepting and cohesive. I only said Texas is overall further behind most other places. I am sure we could all list off countless sad divisive acts, though it would be wrong not to accept that southern states have much more of a bloody history with the issue (with the exception of the west and native americans).
Your comments maybe true when it comes to the smaller towns of Texas. Not when it comes to the major metropolitan areas.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:59 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times
Quote:

I specifically pointed out that Louisiana is much worst than Tx.

Also, Spade, I never said everywhere and everyone but Texans are very accepting and cohesive. I only said Texas is overall further behind most other places. I am sure we could all list off countless sad divisive acts, though it would be wrong not to accept that southern states have much more of a bloody history with the issue (with the exception of the west and native americans)...
Have you ever been to Oklahoma? There are not very many non-white people in the state, and hardly any at all outside Tulsa and OKC.

What passes as "diversity" there are the Texas boys that OU steals so they have a chance at football.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:18 PM

989 posts, read 2,498,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Why does it seem so many people here on CD are always bashing Texas and Texas cities, particularly Houston.
Because TX is bigger, better, and far more bad ass than where they are from.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas