Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 07:29 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
?? Where do you see me saying the cities arent diverse, first of all?

Second of all, multiple small pockets of different minorities in CA and NY is MUCH better than the the singular _____'s live shop and work in x side of town and _____'s do so in x2 side of town and neither side has any interaction thereof. Im wondering are you actually reading the post are just searching for one-liners to casually argue.

You arent talking to some West coaster who visited Texas for a summer. I grew up there, and my family has lived there since well before the civil war...some parts even back to the Mexican Revolution (Independence 1820's) and most likely before that.

Go to the bay area, then come back to Houston or Dallas or San Antonio or Waco or Corpus, and I dare you to even try to tell me CA's segregation is anywhere near on par with Texas's. Look around for middle class mixed racial neighborhoods in San Fran or even Oakland or San jose. You wont find it massively common, but you will find it without looking hard. Then come back and try finding any in Outer Houston or the San Antonio suburbs. Good luck if you see a brown or black face not cleaning or working some service job.

Im sorry, its not me ragging on Texas. Its not even me speaking from my own experience, or even speaking from others stereotypes. Its just the way it is in Texas.
"There are pockets of African Americans, Asians, and Mexicans all throughout San Francisco. San Fran is extremely diverse."

See the bolded...

So you have to trash Texas to defend SF...

I just pointed out something you typed..nothing more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 11:29 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Houston is bashed all the time. And yet, even accounting for that, it is still over-rated. It's a hot, sweaty, expensive, crowded and flat concrete jungle of sprawled urban blight. Plus there is no skiing to be had nor mountains to climb. "Y'all" can keep Houston (and Texas).

Old 07-26-2009, 02:18 AM

844 posts, read 1,280,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
"There are pockets of African Americans, Asians, and Mexicans all throughout San Francisco. San Fran is extremely diverse."

See the bolded...

So you have to trash Texas to defend SF...

I just pointed out something you typed..nothing more!
I am not a San Franciscan, I only know what I saw from visiting, and that b
rief glimpse showed more positive than 22 years of Texas.

There are pockets of cohesive ethnic groups lving together, but thats a heck of a lot better than the general status of their being all but none in texas.

If a Mexican or Black doctor/lawyer/businessman moves into an old school good old boy neigyhborhood in Houston Austin San Antonio or Dallas/FtWorth, the first think that happens is bad looks and ostracizing. When that doesnt worth, the 'good old folk' simply leave to a further out suburb.

Again, you are not talking to some yuppy californian. I am a native Texan who can trace his ancestry in the state back further than most other current native texans today. You arent going to fool me claiming the state is so advanced as accepting and harmonious without me calling out actual instances of that not being the case from the fact that I am from and was raised there.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:53 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
I am not a San Franciscan, I only know what I saw from visiting, and that brief glimpse showed more positive than 22 years of Texas.

There are pockets of cohesive ethnic groups lving together, but thats a heck of a lot better than the general status of their being all but none in texas.
It is very easy to get that impression from visiting CA, but it is inaccurate. I have family that live there, and I assure you the problems run deep and are divisive, in a way that is much more sinister and ingrained than most Texas cities.

Quote:
If a Mexican or Black doctor/lawyer/businessman moves into an old school good old boy neigyhborhood in Houston Austin San Antonio or Dallas/FtWorth, the first think that happens is bad looks and ostracizing. When that doesnt worth, the 'good old folk' simply leave to a further out suburb.
There may be a little of that in Austin, or even DFW, but you really sound as if you have never been to Houston. It is quite the opposite of what you are describing, very cohesive (again, IMO more so than East or West Coast cities) with regard to diversity. It's too easy to bring up the "good ol' boy" Texas stereotype and use it to imply all sorts of negative things -- especially to those outside of Texas. Reality, though, is that places like Houston are defined by the huge population influx of recent decades, not old stereotypes. One only needs to spend a few days in Houston to see that Blacks, Asians, Hispanics, and Whites run the spectrum of all economic demographics... unlike in CA.. and do live together in the same neighborhoods, shop at the same stores, work at the same energy companies, etc. Is it perfect? No.. Atlanta might be a little better for Blacks, and the West Coast might be a little better for Asians... but those are meccas for that specific minority. The others really suffer (like hispanics and blacks in CA), while places like Houston they all hold about equal weight.

Quote:
Again, you are not talking to some yuppy californian. I am a native Texan who can trace his ancestry in the state back further than most other current native texans today. You arent going to fool me claiming the state is so advanced as accepting and harmonious without me calling out actual instances of that not being the case from the fact that I am from and was raised there.
Eh, different experiences I guess. I'm not a native Texan, so I've seen the bad side of the other places you assume are so much more harmonious... and I have to give credit where credit is due. Texas (at least the big cities), really does seem more cohesive and full of opportunity with regard to racial and ethnic diversity. YMMV.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:38 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times
Quote:

How do you know that? My father is black and enjoyed his life in Texas. Get a reality check.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post

There may be a little of that in Austin, or even DFW, but you really sound as if you have never been to Houston. It is quite the opposite of what you are describing, very cohesive (again, IMO more so than East or West Coast cities) with regard to diversity. It's too easy to bring up the "good ol' boy" Texas stereotype and use it to imply all sorts of negative things -- especially to those outside of Texas. Reality, though, is that places like Houston are defined by the huge population influx of recent decades, not old stereotypes. One only needs to spend a few days in Houston to see that Blacks, Asians, Hispanics, and Whites run the spectrum of all economic demographics... unlike in CA.. and do live together in the same neighborhoods, shop at the same stores, work at the same energy companies, etc. Is it perfect? No.. Atlanta might be a little better for Blacks, and the West Coast might be a little better for Asians... but those are meccas for that specific minority. The others really suffer (like hispanics and blacks in CA), while places like Houston they all hold about equal weight.
You see, that is what it is about Texas that I like. In SA, Houston, even Austin to an extent, the minorities don't always segregate themselves. I always feel like when blacks say they prefer Atlanta or another town like that because of race that they were in actuality segregating themselves. Most white people do not have a problem with blacks, asians and hispanics moving into their neighborhood especially in the cities. Tindo, how on earth do you know what other people go through to say that? Like they don't feel uncomfortable in neighborhoods in other states? I know plenty of blacks even in places like SA who could care less what races they are around because it isn't a problem.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:31 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Houston is bashed all the time. And yet, even accounting for that, it is still over-rated. It's a hot, sweaty, expensive, crowded and flat concrete jungle of sprawled urban blight. Plus there is no skiing to be had nor mountains to climb. "Y'all" can keep Houston (and Texas).
I don't agree at all.

You just took negative aspects alone to describe Houston. I could do that for almost any city and make it sound bad, but would that really be fair?

Besides, how much of Houston is "urban blight?" I don't see much. Sounds more like you're talking about a Rust Belt city or Detroit.

Skiing and mountains? How many cities actually have this? For someone who really needs that, they can look elsewhere.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:14 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
I am not a San Franciscan, I only know what I saw from visiting, and that b
rief glimpse showed more positive than 22 years of Texas.

Now I just feel like your using stereotypes about Texas and trying to turn them into an opinion. Even New Yorkers and people from/living in CA will say Texas is very intergrated compared to their states.

I'm really believing you've never been to TX or only stuck to the small towns.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:38 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Now I just feel like your using stereotypes about Texas and trying to turn them into an opinion.

I've been thinking that with just about all his posts. Seems like this diatribe has been going on forever. I guess it's like they say, repeat something over and over and over again with assertion, it becomes the truth.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:19 PM

^I agree, this dude's using all the stereotypes from the old book. Give me a break!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas