Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 11:12 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,566,765 times

Advertisements

In case of need, which city has the best medical care available: Dallas or Houston?
Houston has a huge medical complex which is wonderful. Does Dallas have anything that even compares to that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 12:22 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Dallas also has some great hospitals. Parkland has one of the number one trauma units in the nation along w/ a topnotch burn unit. It may be the "county" hospital but if I'm in trauma or burned I WANT Parkland. Others are Baylor, Zale-Lipshy, St. Paul, Methodist, Presbyterian and the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:43 PM

48 posts, read 192,319 times
I am an RN and live in NJ...I have even heard of the medical facilities in Houston. I don't know if it's better than Dallas. I do know Houston is known on the national level, especially for pediatrics. I will keep checking this site to see what the locals think. It's a good question and I am aslo interested in the answer.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:46 PM

431 posts, read 393,749 times
Baylor is an excellent hospital. So is Parkland if you require their burn unit or emergency care/trauma. There birthing center is also excellent but unfortunately over-run with illegals, so go elsewhere if you're insured.

Methodist - No. If you have insurance, go to Baylor.

UT Southwestern is medical school; not a hospital. Their physicians/teachers do have admitting / attending rights to several of the area hospitals but there is no in-patient medical care at UT Southwestern.

Presby and St. Paul - okay for everyday, run of the mill.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:53 PM

Additional hospitals in Dallas:

Medical City of Dallas

Texas Scottish Rite for Children

Childrens Medical Center

Medical City Childrens Hospital

All in all while Houston has MD Anderson there are plenty of GREAT hospitals in Dallas to receive top notch care. My sisters neurosurgeon is at Presby Dallas and he is well respected in the field.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:01 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,654,710 times
I use the Baylor system and have been very happy with it.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:39 PM

What is the section of Dallas called where Parkland is located. All I can tell on the map is it looks close to Park Cities.
Is Baylor centrally located with one hospital or many?

Old 02-28-2007, 03:43 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times
as an RN who has practiced in Texas for 15 years, mostly in Ft Worth area, i will say that Dallas and Houston both have excellent well-renowned medical centers, trauma centers.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
What is the section of Dallas called where Parkland is located. All I can tell on the map is it looks close to Park Cities.
Is Baylor centrally located with one hospital or many?
It is in Dallas surrounded on Harry Hines between Inwood and Motor St right off of Interstate 35. Driving on I35 in Dallas you CAN NOT miss the HUGE complex that is Parkland, Childrens and UT. In location to the Park Cities it is on the other side of Love Field Airport and it is close. St. Paul Hospital is on Inwood also in very close proximity to Parkland. While these are more on the northwest side of downtown Dallas, Baylor Dallas is on the east side of downtown. The Tom Laundry Center is located at Baylor Dallas (or Big Baylor as some of us locals call it as they have smaller hospitals in the Baylor system in the area) as is the Baylor School of Dentistry.

The hospitals listed are all the BIG major hospitals. If you are out in the burbs for minor things you would more than likely be visiting one of the affiliated hospitals or such. Some of these are and these are just a SMALL sampling of them:

Medical Center of Plano
Baylor Plano
Presby Allen
Baylor Garland
Trinity Medical Center(Carrollton)

Old 02-28-2007, 05:45 PM

I looked at the site for the Tom Landry Center...very neat! I would love to do water aerobics and some of the 50+ programs. Any idea of the cost of joining this center?
Is the main Baylor hospital next to the center? This is the only thing I am not clear on.
The more I look at these sites, the more I am thinking condo in Park Cities or place around Garland or Rockwall.
I am very excited at the prospect of being close to some of these great activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas