Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 01:12 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,990,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I believe UT Southwestern in Dallas is on the verge of exploding with projects itself.
Cool. Why do you say this? Are there big projects currently in planning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 01:14 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,990,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
UTMB has essentially shut down since Ike. There's some activity going now but it's nowhere near the level it's been in the past. Shriners is also very likely to close their Children's Hospital in Galveston permanently.

The essential answer is that Houston has a slight edge, but nothing extraordinary. There is not much medical care that you can get in once city you can't get in the other. Houston tends to concentrate its medical offerings at TMC for the most part, whereas Dallas' medical needs are scattered throughout the city and the Metroplex. TMC blows any complex Dallas has out of the water, but the overall quality and quantity of medical care in either city isn't particularly superior to the other.
Wrong on so many levels.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:21 PM

366 posts, read 1,444,000 times
Quote:
They are trying to close it down permanently because of the economic downturn. They lack the money to repair the hospital and the national money to operate as many hospitals as they have, so why not kill two birds with one stone?

Closing Hospitals No Fun For Shriners : NPR
They are not trying to close it down permanetly, they face a hard choice wether or not to close it down. Also, notice that the article says 'six of its hospitals around the country' so it may or may not close Shriners hospital in Galveston permanetly.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:37 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,604,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ()_T View Post
They are not trying to close it down permanetly, they face a hard choice wether or not to close it down. Also, notice that the article says 'six of its hospitals around the country' so it may or may not close Shriners hospital in Galveston permanetly.
No, the article speficically names Galveston as one of the six hospitals they plan on closing. They aren't "trying" to close it down, but it's looking quite likely they will have to if they want to provide free care at the rest of their hospitals.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:38 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,604,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Wrong on so many levels.
Care to elaborate rather than simply posting something without any explanation? I can see only one level how I could be wrong--multiple levels would assume there was something perverted or immoral about their post, which I cannot see.

And factually, I believe my post to be accurate. If you care to disagree, perhaps you might feel like explaining why.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:54 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,390,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Cool. Why do you say this? Are there big projects currently in planning?
http://www4.utsouthwestern.edu/inetd...kBioCenter.pdf

Old 06-09-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
No, the article speficically names Galveston as one of the six hospitals they plan on closing. They aren't "trying" to close it down, but it's looking quite likely they will have to if they want to provide free care at the rest of their hospitals.
Where? I don't see it on the Article.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:02 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,390,491 times
Quote:
Care to elaborate rather than simply posting something without any explanation? I can see only one level how I could be wrong--multiple levels would assume there was something perverted or immoral about their post, which I cannot see.

And factually, I believe my post to be accurate. If you care to disagree, perhaps you might feel like explaining why.
Dude, I've been down the road you're on. I'm not going to mention names but there are several soundbyte posters here, who will say you're wrong and present no follow up evidence or explanations to support their viewpoint.

Have fun!

Old 06-09-2009, 02:05 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,321,687 times
The Texas Medical Center largest in the world

Old 06-09-2009, 03:09 PM

Medical Buildings u/c in Houston

The TMC is in a on-going 50yr master plan growth development. Its expanding in almost every direction.

New UT MD Anderson Administrative Support Building (Recently had the largest Mat Pour in the nation and the building itself takes up 3 whole blocks.)

From ChannelTwoNews on HAIF

New Baylor Hospital (topped out)

Swamplot

New Methodist Hospital Research Institute (Topped Out)

Whr Architects

New Methodist Outpatient Care Center (just completed)
http://www.whrarchitects.com/_filelib/ImageGallery/Photos/healthcare/methodist/methodist_002.jpg (broken link)
Whr Architects

New Texas Childrens Maternity Center (u/c also two 28-story towers rendering to come soon).

From HAIF

M.D Anderson Alkek Expansion (16 floors to 21 u/c but won't be complete until 2016)

From Chron

New Jan and Dan Institute

From Chron

Texas Childrens Center in Katy (when complete it will be one of the largest suburban style childrens hospital in the world).

From Chron

New Memorial Hermann Buildings in Katy (tower on the right complete, tower on the left still u/c).

There are other medical developments going on in and around but I don't know much about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas