Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 03:55 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
It's kind of like the stretch of leading people to believe that Texas' heat isn't relentless for a great portion of the year.

Actually, I love Texas in the Winter, Autumn, and a few days in the spring when it isn't humid. That's even better than California weather.
Yeah... you can compare summer temps all you want but if you aren't comparing the LENGTH of the hot months it's irrelevant. I could handle Texas summers if they were truly "summer", i.e. June/July/August. Followed by Fall, then Winter, then Spring. I want nothing more than a true FOUR season climate. I don't want to give up being able to swim in July but I want a few White Christmases as well, and I have never lived somewhere (or even visited at the right time of year) to see the leaves change color. Only seen it in movies and pictures!

So a regular length summer would be tolerable but as we all know (if you've lived here) that is NOT the case. It's the months and months of heat that get to me. I haven't cleaned out my van in over a month (due to the heat) and I was trying to figure out earlier if I could place my water hose on "mist" and aim it my way to do some outdoor chores. That's crazy!

I will miss Tex-Mex food though... but I know how to cook most of it myself so I'll survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 04:41 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I can see that living in Houson. I had some projects in Raleigh several years back, and I've got to tell you, It was just beautiful driving around the area.
I misread your statement and almost responded that most of the projects are in Durham, not Raleigh. heh!

I just moved from central VA a few years ago... Raleigh is very similar. Some people *love* it... but the humidity is just too oppresive for me. But it's definitely not a bad place to raise a family.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:28 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Yeah... you can compare summer temps all you want but if you aren't comparing the LENGTH of the hot months it's irrelevant. I could handle Texas summers if they were truly "summer", i.e. June/July/August. Followed by Fall, then Winter, then Spring. I want nothing more than a true FOUR season climate. I don't want to give up being able to swim in July but I want a few White Christmases as well, and I have never lived somewhere (or even visited at the right time of year) to see the leaves change color. Only seen it in movies and pictures!

So a regular length summer would be tolerable but as we all know (if you've lived here) that is NOT the case. It's the months and months of heat that get to me. I haven't cleaned out my van in over a month (due to the heat) and I was trying to figure out earlier if I could place my water hose on "mist" and aim it my way to do some outdoor chores. That's crazy!

I will miss Tex-Mex food though... but I know how to cook most of it myself so I'll survive.
I don't know why you're saying these things to me as I'm one that agrees wholeheartedly with you. Perhaps you read my post wrong and as far as me liking some of the seasons in Texas, I have to like something or I'd go totally nuts living here for 30 years. I dislike summer, I dislike storms, I dislike bugs, I dislike arrogant people, I dislike the silliness of some of the things Texans say and.............the list goes on.

I agree. I've gotten nothing done outside for a few weeks now. Before the "hottest" temps heat, I forced myself to get up early and work outside for a few hours or after dusk, work for a little bit.

Trust me, I feel your pain.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:37 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I don't know why you're saying these things to me as I'm one that agrees wholeheartedly with you. Perhaps you read my post wrong and as far as me liking some of the seasons in Texas, I have to like something or I'd go totally nuts living here for 30 years. I dislike summer, I dislike storms, I dislike bugs, I dislike arrogant people, I dislike the silliness of some of the things Texans say and.............the list goes on.

I agree. I've gotten nothing done outside for a few weeks now. Before the "hottest" temps heat, I forced myself to get up early and work outside for a few hours or after dusk, work for a little bit.

Trust me, I feel your pain.
Hi;

I'm not sure why you think I was opposing you but I guess I wasn't clear? Previous posters were comparing temps here and elsewhere without acknowledging the LONG summers here. You mentioned the length of the summers being a factor and I agreed. My apologies if I gave the opposite impression.

I was agreeing with you, when you said the following:

"It's kind of like the stretch of leading people to believe that Texas' heat isn't relentless for a great portion of the year
"

And I was just expounding on the lengthy heat thing in my agreement with you. So I wasn't really posting to YOU, I quoted you and then took the point further. Or that's what I meant to do.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:43 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times
Quote:
Hi;

I'm not sure why you think I was opposing you but I guess I wasn't clear? Previous posters were comparing temps here and elsewhere without acknowledging the LONG summers here. You mentioned the length of the summers being a factor and I agreed. My apologies if I gave the opposite impression.

I was agreeing with you, when you said the following:

"It's kind of like the stretch of leading people to believe that Texas' heat isn't relentless for a great portion of the year"

And I was just expounding on the lengthy heat thing in my agreement with you. So I wasn't really posting to YOU, I quoted you and then took the point further. Or that's what I meant to do.
I'm sorry. Leave it to my old age to get me so confused. Thanks!!

Old 08-07-2008, 06:04 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Default I'll not be leaving again.

I left the Pineywoods of eastern Texas forty years ago when the Air Force sent me to a foreign country called New Mexico. Afterward school, a career, and youthful ambition conspired to keep me away from my native state. Now I'm headed back to retire, and eventually be buried, on the Texas High Plains. I'll not be leaving again.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:13 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,610 times
Quote:

Perhaps a move to the beautiful Pacific Northwest would be in order?

It's hot now by our standards, however a month or so from now our long regional nightmare will be over.

Sweet relief will arrive on a fresh southerly...delivering a cool gut punch from which summer will never recover.

I like summer well enough, especially early summer; late summer here can be painful, redundant and ubiquitous.

Trees will dry up; weeds will stick their tongues out and fall over...the lawn will be on stress disability...

Sweet deliverance will soon be upon us, and everything will be right with the universe...

Old 08-07-2008, 06:18 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
I misread your statement and almost responded that most of the projects are in Durham, not Raleigh. heh!

I just moved from central VA a few years ago... Raleigh is very similar. Some people *love* it... but the humidity is just too oppresive for me. But it's definitely not a bad place to raise a family.
HA! Well, as a matter of fact, my project was an asbestos survey on an old apartment complex that was a federaly subsidized complex. The things we saw in there. Funny thing, after we conducted the survey, the abatement contractor called and said that after the eye of the hurricane passed right over the complex, asbestos-containing transite siding had blown all over the neighborhood, and was asking me what to do. I told him, "you are the abatement contractor, you probably ought to recover as much as you can find."

Old 08-07-2008, 06:34 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times
woohoo! good for you!! hook 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Virginia View Post
I was born in Ohio because my Mama apparently didn't know any better and raised in Georgia for the same reason. I lived in San Antonio for the 1967-68 school year and knew Texas was where I wanted to spend the rest of my life. Unfortunately, at 16, I was not in control of my life so I moved back to Georgia. I attended UT-Austin and fell in love with a Texan so I thought I would finally make my home here. We left for 4 long years to repay his Navy scholarship .... that became a 20 year career ... then that dang follow up defense contractor position for the past 15. (Short answer: I left because others made me!)

We bought a Canyon Lake home and have seasons tickets to UT football so I'll be HOME in exactly 4 weeks! Husband is convinced I'll realize it is too hot and be happy to return to Virginia in December.

I don't think so......

Lori

Old 08-07-2008, 09:13 PM

196 posts, read 640,594 times
So you Montana was barren? You were is the wrong spot. There is an area of Montana that is lush and gorgeous. Then there is the area you were in that totally sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas