Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2008, 07:21 AM

160 posts, read 640,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutarian View Post
So you Montana was barren? You were is the wrong spot. There is an area of Montana that is lush and gorgeous. Then there is the area you were in that totally sucks.
Yes, the area of Montana I was in was barren, save for houses. Gallatin County, to be specific. It is in western Montana, and Bozeman is the county seat. In the valley it is an area devoid of trees. Two or three weeks out of the year the grass is green, the rest of the year it is nice and brown.

Then there are the social problems associated with the area. I guess if you like meth, its heaven, cause there is a total lack of anything else to do and the junk can be found in abundance there. Such abundance that I had two neighbors that were brewing the garbage in their houses. Local law enforcement refuses to do anything about the situation, either.

You are right about one thing, the further east you go, the worse it gets.

I have strained myself to remember one good thing about the place from my fifteen year prison sentence there. I am still trying to find it, and am beginning to doubt that I will ever find it before I die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 07:48 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,687,711 times
Every Texan I know has either come back from their ventures to "foreign lands", or is pining to come back to the Great State of Texas! I left for an adventure up to PNW and stayed for seven long years, enduring the rain, sleet, ice and snow nine months out of the year. And try not to complain now about the searing heat here five mos. out of the year! So am back, and don't intend to leave. The illegal invasion is a big concern and hoping we can get a governor into Austin who is not in cahoots with the Bush Bunch to allow them to continue invading and overrunning our land. We need bigger guns and higher border fence to keep them out.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:51 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,620,591 times
I lived in Seattle for a good part of one year. Beautiful, interesting city (then, anyway), but their rain is the equivalent of our heat. Rain, rain, and more rain. When we were there, it rained 20 out of every 21 days, and that didn't mean it was sunny on the 21st day, just that the water was dripping from the trees, not the sky. When I got pregnant, I went screamng back to Texas convinced the baby would drown before it was born!

I grew up in East Texas (near Palestine, family farm is just outside of Henderson, lived in Athens). We had beautiful changing colors of the leaves in autumn (reds, oranges, yellows, interspersed with the green of the pines). Shorter summer there than in some other parts of Texas. Longer autumn and spring.

The payback for the longer summer is the 11 month growing season for those who love gardening or want to grow their own vegetables.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:01 AM

285 posts, read 679,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I grew up in East Texas (near Palestine, family farm is just outside of Henderson, lived in Athens). We had beautiful changing colors of the leaves in autumn (reds, oranges, yellows, interspersed with the green of the pines). Shorter summer there than in some other parts of Texas. Longer autumn and spring.
Nice to know where to visit if I start missing the colors of autumn. Sounds like a beautiful area!
Lori

Old 08-08-2008, 08:02 AM

9 posts, read 41,699 times
I have family in Texas and after two try visiting them in San Antonio area. I would never live there let alone visit. My personal negatives only, its just to HOT and Humid for my taste. Give me mountains and a change in seasons. You keep your little ditch river thru your town. Hospitality was wonderful but come up to New England, and I will show you some hill country.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:22 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,893,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
i highly doubt that the city has rattlesnake roundups. well, maybe so, i have only been in the area for just under a year. i do have one friend rancher who lives in Killeen, but way out in Maxdale area, on the Lampasas River, and it is VERY country, so perhaps in that area.
They may not do it anymore. It was a once a year festival, held on the Belton fairgrounds. I would see the big marquee along I-35 advertizing it, as I drove by. Here is one that is relatively close.
rattlesnake (http://www.kreit10.com/rattlesnake.htm - broken link)

Old 08-08-2008, 09:31 AM

One of the things that I have always liked about Texas, having lived in different areas of it and visited others, is that if you don't like where you are and want something different in the way of topography/weather, you can move somewhere else with something different without ever having to leave the state.

I hear a lot of judgments about Texas that are based on one relatively small portion of it. Makes me think of when family members are always asking me to find things they just can't find, because I can always find them. (The extreme was my daughter calling me from her house an hour away to ask me to find her keys at HER house.) It's easy - just pick things up and look under them. Don't like the hotter weather of South Texas? Head North, Northeast, Northwest. Want lots of trees? We've got that. Want mountains? Big Bend. Want flat as far as the eye can see? West Texas is your place. Want Big City? Dallas, Houston. And so forth and so on. Just look further than your nose.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:14 AM

24 posts, read 86,318 times
I'll be interested to hear how long before you cry uncle without that Texas Bar-b-que, Tex-mex and last but not least family and friends....took me one and one-half week in the north-east before I was singing the blues for Texas cooking.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:19 AM

658 posts, read 837,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I lived in Seattle for a good part of one year. Beautiful, interesting city (then, anyway), but their rain is the equivalent of our heat. Rain, rain, and more rain.
Did you know that NYC, Philly, Detroit, Dallas, Miami, Portland and Chicago all get more rain than Seattle? Check the numbers...

Old 08-08-2008, 11:36 AM

The only place on that list that I've lived in was Dallas. And, sorry, no, but there is no comparison to the relentlessness of it. More thunderstorms (which I missed, by the way), with more rain at a time, but not the endless grey days of rain with no sun in sight.

As I said, beautiful, interesting city, but I couldn't take it, any more than some here can take the heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas